
What can I say?! It's been a week: tinged with a little of the unexpected and undesirable, but also blessed with the typical large amounts of love and laughter.
Of late, Lucy demands that we leave her door open when we put her to bed at night. Wes and I are not huge fans of this, but since she still goes to sleep, we don't complain too much. One night last week, quite a while after we had put Lucy down, Wes and I were in the living room talking and laughing about something. We were suddenly surprised by Lucy's voice calling out abruptly, "Mom and Dad. Go to sleep."
Sorry, Lucy.

Of late, Lucy demands that we leave her door open when we put her to bed at night. Wes and I are not huge fans of this, but since she still goes to sleep, we don't complain too much. One night last week, quite a while after we had put Lucy down, Wes and I were in the living room talking and laughing about something. We were suddenly surprised by Lucy's voice calling out abruptly, "Mom and Dad. Go to sleep."
Sorry, Lucy.
We've spent time watching Christmas shows. (Our favorites this year: Elf and It's a Wonderful Life. Lucy's favorite this year: How the Grinch Stole Christmas. At some point of every day we see Lucy's squinty-eyed, dimple-cheeked, I'm-being-so-sincere look, and we hear the slurred, squinty-eyed, dimple-cheeked request, "Can I watch Grinch, Mom and Dad?" She then waits with the squinty eyed and dimple cheeked expression until we give our answer, which varies from "Sure!" to "Maybe later" to "Not a chance, Darling.")
We've spent time playing in Christmas snows.

"Cheese!"
We've been savoring Christmas smells (I love my Apple Spice and Delight Febreze. And we made our traditional, spicy smelling Christmas Meatballs yesterday. MMmmmmmm.)
We've been to visit Santa at the grocery store. Lucy sure glared him down, but he was good enough to grant her a parting candy cane. After the visit she declared him to be a "nice" sort of character and agreed to stop by one more time for a friendly wave.
We continue to drown ourselves in Christmas music. Yesterday we spent a few sweet Sunday moments atop our bed singing Christmas Primary songs with Lucy. We didn't make it much farther than "When Joseph Went to Bethlehem," because every time we tried to turn the page Lucy screamed, "No, sing Joseph again!"

And in as much as we've had a few bitter pills to swallow this week (cue tearful conversation on the "front porch" of the Cannon Center's "Christmas invitational" cabin. You know you're a Hall Advisor when your life is so public that you can have blatantly sentimental conversations with your husband in glaringly public places), the strains of my favorite Christmas song have been extra sweet and even more tear- evoking than usual:
What sweeter music can we bring
Than a carol for to sing
The birth of this our heav'nly King?
Awake the voice! Awake the string!
Dark and dull night, fly hence away,
And give thee honor to this day
That sees December turn'd to May.
Why does the chilling winter's morn
Smile, like a field beset with corn?
Or smell like a meadow new shorn
Thus on the sudden? Come and see
The cause, why things thus fragrant be:
'Tis He is born, whose quickening birth
Gives life and luster, public mirth,
To heaven and the underearth.
We see him come, and know Him ours,
Who with his sunshine and his showers,
Turns all the patient ground to flow'rs.
The Darling of the world is come;
And fit it is, we find a room
To welcome Him, To welcome Him.
The nobler part of all the house here, is the heart,
Which we will give him, and bequeath
This holly and this ivy wreath,
To do Him honour; who's our King,
And Lord of all this revelling.
What sweeter music can we bring
Than a carol, for to sing
The birth of this our heav'nly King.
(Most of you know this beautiful carol, but if you don't you should listen to the Mo-Tab sing at least the first few lines on Deseret Book's site. )
Hope Christmas time continues to be merry at your house!




18 comments:
Lori, you have such a beautiful family!
And those meatballs sure sound yummy. Care to share the recipe?
You guys are too awesome for words. I sure hope that life gives you most of just good, and less of the bitter as you continue through the holiday season--Merry Christmas Trumans, and much love.
I sit at campus reading this and am grateful for the chance to think about Christmas instead of Biology for a moment. Thanks Love.
So glad to get a little update on your life.
That said, sometimes I DISLIKE blogs, being public venues and therefore lacking in particular details I might wish for. Sigh. Distances.
I love you. And always, always, hope you are doing well.
Thanks friends. I acknowledge that there are a few plot-holes in this post...but they're nothing major. Just a bit of life.
Vicky- It's a great crock pot recipe. I'll post it.
Nicole - HOW FUN to connect with you more often!
Wes - I'm counting down hours until you're home
Michelle - Amen. We need to talk. Let's e-mail and discuss Christmas schedules. =)
Your posts always bring a smile to my face. Your writing makes me smile. I hope you continue to have a delightful Christmas season with that cute Lucy and Wes you have!
Happy holidays to you!
Well I really love that little snowman family. But I like your little family even more.
Laurie, I really like the pictures. :o) I don't think I've heard that song before, or if I have, I haven't noticed the words. Thank you for sharing.
The needful things of Christmas are all right here on your blog!
Love you all!
have been anxious for an update...still anxious for one...knowing that we will be seeing you soon makes me happy! Love to you!
How could one not love December when they look at this beautiful post! Soooo cute pictures! Our thoughts and prayers will be with you both even more fervently tomorrow. Love you!
Reading your posts always makes me happy...even when there are some underlying sadnesses. I love how positive you are!
Merry Christmas, Trumans!
Thanks for the sweet post, Lori! CUTE family pictures in your Sunday best in the snow. Love you guys!
Love the best and hope that all goes well for you today.
December really is a time where we can reflect on the things that matter most to us...our families, the church, friends, etc... Enjoy these times that you have and enjoy what is to come. Hope your December continues to get better and better.
Can't wait to see you sometime soon, hopefully. Perhaps when you get back from Vegas.
Love Lucy's little dress! And I too would love the meatball recipe. I've been thinking about you lately. Love to you...
Another beautiful post! There's nothing like a two year old at Christmas! I can picture/feel her nervousness at seeing Santa. We love you all! See you soon.
Goodness--the Christmas outfit looks fabulous. Kiss Kiss...
Sweet and Sour Meatballs recipe as requested:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 1/4 c bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2-3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
Sauce
1 can pineapple chunks, juice reserved
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1-1/4 cups ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
1. Combine all meatball ingredients. Shape into 60-80 meatballs. Brown in skillet, rolling so all sides are browned. Place in slow cooker.
2. Pour juice from pineapples into skillet. Stir into drippings (I actually drain the drippings, we think the sauce tastes fresher without them...)
3. Combine cornstarch and cold water. Add to skillet and stir until thickened.
4. Stir in ketchup and Worchestershire sauce. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Add green peppers and pineapples. Pour over meatballs.
5. Cover. Cook on Low 6 hours. (recipe from Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook)
Post a Comment