Basking in the lingering light of wonderful weekend.Feeling grateful for the confirmation of a new prophet's calling.
I sort of thought it would take time to adjust. I've always loved President Monson. Always appreciated his words and wisdom, but I thought it would take time for that flooding feeling of certainty to arrive.
When Lucy first saw President Monson step to the pulpet on Saturday morning, she shouted to the TV screen, "Hey! You're a prophet!!" We laughed and laughed. But as I listened to President Monson's Sunday morning sermon, as I watched his familiar face speaking powerful, prophetic words, a similar declaration, un-shouted, full of awe, whispered in my heart: "You're the prophet."
And...life goes on. So normal. So routine. But some feelings linger. And I'm left to marvel at the significance of what I believe. So much clarified truth. So much confirmation. So few questions. I feel so grateful.
I feel grateful that God, our loving Father, has, since the creation of the world, revealed His nature and his purposes to mortal man through prophets.
I'm grateful for scriptural records of God's dealings with ancient peoples and prophets. And I'm inexpressibly grateful for the knowledge that prophetic voices speak God's eternal, unchanging doctrines in this day.
"Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God."That we might "look forward with one eye, having one faith and one baptism."
And...along side the lingering feelings of confirmation are the lingering feelings of correction. Nudging feelings. Change-inspiring feelings.
Remember Elder Oaks' classic 2005 commentary on the subject?
Last week I was talking with a member of the Quorum of the Twelve about comments we had received on our April conference talks. My friend said someone told him, “I surely enjoyed your talk.” We agreed that this is not the kind of comment we like to receive...Another member of our quorum joined the conversation by saying, “That reminds me of the story of a good minister. When a parishioner said, ‘I surely enjoyed your sermon today,’ the minister replied, ‘In that case, you didn’t understand it...’ ”
I speak of these recent conversations to teach the principle that a message given by a General Authority at a general conference—a message prepared under the influence of the Spirit to further the work of the Lord—is not given to be enjoyed. It is given to inspire, to edify, to challenge, or to correct. It is given to be heard under the influence of the Spirit of the Lord, with the intended result that the listener learns from the talk and from the Spirit what he or she should do about it.
Ooooo. Well said. Difficult. Ulitmately worth it.
Good luck to all of us in our efforts to change. For the better.


8 comments:
Eek. I love the nudging feeling...and I also dread it. So true.
Oh I loved conference! And very true about it edifying and correcting. I felt a lot of that this weekend... in one particular area of my life that needs attention. It felt nice to feel corrected and challenged.
Can't wait to read all the talks, unfortunately things didn't pan out correctly for us this weekend so didn't get to actually sit and relax and listen/watch conference. I am sure that it was wonderful and "enjoyable" in the sense that there is something to be learned and applied. "Enjoyed" in the fact that there is something that we need to work on and that we should start right now. "Enjoyed" that it inspires us to be better people. I will have to remember Elder Oaks remarks about "enjoying". Thanks for your words and we will see you in about 2 weeks!!
Oh... the days of being able to "enjoy" conference, or at least being able to listen to it thoroughly--but with 2 kids under the age of 3, it's tough! It's a new perspective you've given me about conference talks, and finding inspiration and correction... always in need of reminders of what we can do in order to do and be better.
I thought it would take me time to adjust too... everytime William sees a picture of Pres. Monson he tells me "that's President Monson. He's our new prophet!" It wasn't until this weekend at conference that I REALLY felt that confirmation strongly. What a wonderful conference it was!
I love that Lucy knew who he was. I'm am sure people tell you this all the time, but she really is just about the cutest thing ever!
Anyway, I love to read your blog...always so uplifting and insightful. Thanks for that!
I loved Elder Oaks' talk in 2005. Ever since then I have tried so hard to compliment people on their talks but not tell them that I enjoyed it...harder than I thought!
Truly the our The Lord's New Mouthpiece is on the earth. We all feel it... So sweet...so peaceful...so everlasting.
And so we go about to 'define' the Good News of the Restored Gospel rather than allowing others to define it for us....Right!?
I LOVE Conference : The lift I receive, and the renewal of the Spirit it brings, and the desire to be better.
Post a Comment