Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Oh Boy, Oh Boy!

On January 17th of this year, Wes took me to Macaroni Grill where we shared a heavenly slice of chocolate sin: We never eat dessert at restaurants.
But we were celebrating.
My journal entry from the previous night reads:

"So, I'm suddenly pregnant! After so many months of waiting, hoping, and wondering. After months of struggling with discouragement and desire. After all of those months, there was a P L U S sign on this morning's pregnancy test.

And although I've been suspecting this very thing for days now, I'm in a state of total disbelief. Denial. Confusion. ELATION. Nausea. Another miracle in our lives.
A totally exciting, completely terrifying miracle.
'Can I handle this??!' is the phrase that dominates my thoughts. And yet, this is all I have hoped for for over a year.
And it's REAL! But it feels UNREAL! And I'm caught between terror, excitement, gratitude, and exhaustion.
Sigh.
S m i l e.
Will it be a boy or a girl?????????????????????????"

The four (c r e e p i n g) months between January 16th and today have been overshadowed by that distracting question.

I'm not an "intuition" type of mother. Nothing from my inner regions has ever whispered, "I'm a boy!" or "I'm a girl!" I don't dream gender dreams. I don't have gender visions. I don't have a clue.

So this afternoon's ultrasound was a revelation.



And we're THRILLED!

32 comments:

Jill said...

congrats guys! what a fun, NEW adventure awaits you...can't wait to see him!

Phoebe said...

congrats!! How great! Lucy will be the best big sister! she thinks he's cute already!!!

Stefani M. said...

Alright, I don't know who these people are who know what they're having, because I'm in the same boat as you--no clue! I can say, though, that with Haley, we wanted a boy, and got a girl. Then we wanted a girl (so they could be friends and room together), and we got a boy. :) We're happy though, and wouldn't change a thing! Congratulations on having a boy--one of each!

Abby said...

Yeah!!! That is so exciting! One of each! How perfect!

erica said...

oh how fun!!!! lucy is so darling, and im sure little brother will be just as cute! congrats you guys! i bet wes is thrilled!!!

erica said...

are you feeling any better?

Mark and Maria said...

That is SO GREAT!! We are so excited for you!!! That will be fun for baby Grey to have a little boy cousin his age to play with!

Janna said...

Hoorah for boys!

Rosalee said...

How fun! We're both having boys just a few days apart! I'm so excited for you1 I'm so excited for me! Tomorrow I get to see more of my baby. I'm very glad that everything is going well for you. We should get together sometime for a little bit of shopping or something. Love ya! Congrats!

Unknown said...

Hooray! That's so great. I think that families are so fun when there's a great mix.

Wahoo!

Kate said...

I loved everything about this post! And I'm still totally thrilled that you are expecting. It just appeals to the very inner parts of my being when people get to have babies when they desperately desire them.

....and I'm SO excited that it's a boy! I know I'm partial to all things boy right now... but boy are they fun! Frogs and snails and puppy dog tails (or however it goes) here you come.

... and Charlie gets so quiet and loves to watch the videos of Lucy you post. It's pretty cute.

Deanna said...

Oh hooray! I think it's great to have at least one of each and now you get that so early in the game. I'm so happy for you guys! Now for the next question: any names picked out?

Heather said...

Overjoyed and extremely happy for you, Wes, and Lucy. (I was hoping that you would have a little boy!) Lucy will be the best big sister ever, and of course you will be the best parents to this new little boy.

Laurie said...

We are so HAPPY for you. We LOVE having a girl and a boy. Lucy will be a WONDERFUL big sister.

Unknown said...

I guess I am going to have to return the "gender neutral" outfit that I got you! oh boy! I am soooo happy for you! And I know that so many people have claimed Lucy for their children that I am going to put in my claim right now...for a missionary companion and then a spouse for my little ones :) crying tears of joy for you and also elated to "meet him" so soon! can't wait!

Vicky said...

Oh Lori I'm so excited to see this! I think I was secretely hoping you'd have a boy! And Lucy is so cute with those ultrasound pictures! I can't wait to hear what you decide to name him! Yay yay yay! So happy!

Meggan said...

Yay! Congrats to you and your cute family! It's amazing - having children. What a miracle!

Grandma lu said...

Spencer ?, Grey, little Wes, Josh, the boys will tie the girls! Ten of each! Grandpa's delighted!

Rachel said...

yeah wes and lori.. and lucy too!! i'm so excited for baby boy truman!

ztruman said...

Congratulations! I knew it was a boy before I even knew you were pregnant. I've got a whole load of boy clothes bagged and ready for you. So exciting. We love you guys so much and hope you are feeling better.

jeanine said...

I KNEW IT! Lucy will be a wonderful big sister! She's so so cute in that video!

Emily Anne said...

Hooray! That's just perfectly happy news.

Lindsay said...

Hooray for little boys!! You know, my brother and his wife just had their ultrasound yesterday, too, and also found out they'll be having a boy. Boys all around! The more the merrier, I say! :)

Melanie said...

I am so happy for you! We love our little boy. And he loves having adoring big sisters to watch. I am glad you will have a taste of both worlds. A little less pink and frills. (a little more mud and messes?)

We also love Macaroni Grill. Our most favorite place to avoid the Cannon Center.

Kim Cannon said...

A boy! How fun, congrats

Crystal said...

We both are happy for you! Congrats!

nateandrebecca said...

Congratulation! How exciting! I hope Lucy is not too disappointed...but she sounds happy enough. Brothers are fun in any case. But then...as wonderful as girls are, I am somewhat biased toward boys in general (being something of a tomboy myself...)

. said...

YES! Boys are so much fun! (of course I'm partial to my little guy!) That is so wonderful lori. did I read your blog right that you are still a little nauseous? I hope that ends soon.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Wes and Lori! Can't wait for Lucy to be a big sister. She will be the best!

suzy said...

Congrats guys!!! It's the boy season!!! I'm so excited for you all!

Julie said...

Boy (no pun intended) have I missed a lot while only gone for a week. You guys don't mess around. This is excellent news. Can't wait. Don't want to miss the excitement in another country....can't you move the date up a month?! :-) Congrats and lots of love.

Tanya said...

Yay for boys! We'll have to compare boy notes when they come!