Tuesday, December 16, 2008

You Better Watch Out


Lucy was riled up after my work Christmas party Monday night. There had been cookies and candy, a room full of little friends, even a visit from the man in red himself!

It was no great surprise to us that Lucy wasn't eager to hit the sack when we came home. So began the in-and-out, up-and-down ritual. We had said good night to the little sugar plum fairy about a hundred and three times before a bit of impatience found its way into Wes's voice. From my neutral position in the rocking chair feeding Spencer, I listened to Lucy and her dad at the brink of a tiny bedtime feud.

I give him points for patience and her points for perseverance. But the more she pushed, the more frustrated he got. The more frustrated he got, the more intense she became. Finally, tired, worked up, and obviously in trouble, Lucy muttered, "I hope Santa's not watching."
I had to stifle my chortling. I tell you what, it's hard having these omniscient beings on your trail!

11 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, priceless. I hope Santa's not keeping an eye on things in China. We're about pushed to the limit and our attitudes need a minor adjustment...haha...

Heather said...

Love it. I have to remind Madelyn and Spencer all the time that Santa just may not come if they keep that behavior up, usually makes them whip back in shape.

heath said...

Too bad the Santa threat doesn't seem to work except in December. But maybe that's when they need it the most.

nateandrebecca said...

Lol. That is great.

Emily Anne said...

oooh, she's cute! Hope your holidays are full of happy, Lori.

jeanine said...

Oh that is just hilarious! It totally made my day!

Vicky said...

That's so great! What a memory.

Benjamin has been asking to "see Lucy" a lot lately, so we've been showing him lots of pictures from your blog. Keep 'em coming!

Unknown said...

my mom commented the other day just how happy and special Lucy is...glad to know she is living up yo her reputation :)

Carrie said...

Ha! That girl is so darn funny!

Megan said...

wow...sometimes its so nice to hear the "frustrated parent at bedtime" story. It's so funny because I can't picture Wes being impatient. :)

Phoebe said...

that is the best!! she is so darling! I used to have Santa on speed dial at my house when my girls were little! It worked for a few years. haha