Sometime mid summer, when Wes and I finally acknowledged that Lucy was REALLY struggling with our nightly scripture reading sessions, we discussed and decided that maybe memorization would be a fun way to approach the scriptures together.
And it has been fun. And it has been meaningful. Our scripture for August was D&C 109:8.
We recited it as we painted and cleaned-out, built, sewed, rearranged, folded and hung. It was our nesting scripture.

Then in September we exchanged nesting for new-babying. And I loved hearing Lucy quote Isaiah 40:31. It was, to my tired, teary, postpartum self, a needed reminder that:
"It’s easy to feel overwhelmed. With all the pressures and demands on our time and the stress we face each day, it’s little wonder we get tired...
I do, however, have a testimony of the renewing power of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The prophet Isaiah proclaimed that the Lord “giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.” When I feel tired, I remember the words of the Prophet Joseph Smith:
“Shall we not go on in so great a cause?"...
Remember that the Lord often chooses “the weak things of the world” to accomplish His purposes....
To all who are weary, let the comforting words of the Savior console you: “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Let us rely on that promise. The power of God can infuse our spirits and bodies with energy and vigor. I urge you to seek this blessing from the Lord. Draw near to Him, and He will draw near to you." (Joseph B. Wirthlin)
Our little family is learning that memorizing scriptures, tresuring up the words of life, is a wonderful way to draw near to the Savior.


9 comments:
So beautiful! How proud of Lucy you must be, that's some great memorization! That's an ingenious idea to have "living" scripture walking around the house to help you feel the spirit. Your family is an inspiration!
Profound! and Pretty Precious...
Feasting on the word is the very best way to 'survive' the day. Love you...Mom
That is a great reminder...thanks Lori! And that is pretty impressive that Lucy can recite scriptures too.
you have such sweet kids, and I hope Kevin and I can be as good of parents as you and Wes are!
I am so impressed with Lucy! Memorizing scriptures is something I always wanted to do with my kids starting when they are young. I'm sure Olivia is old enough now to memorize a simple scripture. Thanks for the reminder.
Lori!! After I was thinking about it...I thought maybe I gave you your crock pot. Turns out (like 6 years later) that I am OBSESSED with my crock pot. I have MANY fabulous recipes. Perhaps we could share our best ones :)
My scripture for the year is: D & C 50:24 . . . I hope to receive the light and so much of it is reflected through you!
The promise of that perfect day makes it worth it.
Lucy will remember those scriptures forever. The things I memorized when I was little are still with me and it will be given her "in the very hour" exactly!
What a great way to study scriptures with minds so open and so able!
What a great idea! Those pictures of your home really made me miss being your neighbor. Your home is always such a happy place! I'd love to hear more of your monthly scripture "themes."
LOVED this post... once again. I had William memorizing scriptures but got a little lax. We had been using the scriptures for each month that they have in Primary... but I LOVE the idea of having it match your life. Perfect.
Oh... and Lucy's quilt just turned out beautifully!
Post a Comment