I spent several years of my life sleeping in this bedroom, with this wonderful-beyond-description big sister.
She got me drinks of water in the middle of the night and taught me to pray about my bad dreams. And she sang to me.Long before the time you can remember
Our Father held you in his arms so tender
Many years later, when I heard that song again at girls camp, I think I probably cried for twenty minutes. It was so nostalgic.
So, naturally, I was delighted to have a little girl of my own to sing to.
Those loving arms released you as he sent you here to earth
He said, "My child, I love you. Don't forget your great worth."
But for the last year or so, we've been stuck on When Joseph Went to Bethlehem (don't ask me why that is Lucy's favorite primary song) and for the last couple of months, we've often cut out bedtime songs altogether. Little brothers rock the boat like that.
Well, a few weeks ago I kept Lucy up later than usual. Gave her a bath after Spence was already asleep. Snuggled her in a towel and sang to her in the rocking chair.
Walk tall, you're a daughter, a child of God
Be strong, please remember who you are
"Again," Lucy whispered when I finished.
Try to understand, you're part of his great plan
He's closer than you know,
Reach up, He'll take your hand
After I sang that last line Lucy looked up at me, intent, "Mom, does He have a long arm?"
I hesitated a moment as her question sunk in. I didn't want to confuse her with images of disproportionate appendages. But I wanted her to know that God certainly has a long arm.
Lucy and I didn't have a long conversation that night in the rocking chair. It was late and she was tired. But I wanted to tell her about all the times in my life when I've felt far away. Hard to reach. The Peter-like moments when I've had cause to weep bitter tears of transgression. The anxious times when worry and uncertainty have threatened to gnaw straight through my heart. Times of loneliness. Times of grief. Times of self-doubt and insecurity. And I wanted to tell her how in every one of those times I have been reached by God's rescuing arm, strengthened, helped, upheld by his truly omnipotent hand.
Yes, Lucy, He has a long arm,"lengthened out all the day long."
Nothing too hard. No one too far. He can heal. He can help. He can correct, comfort, inspire, and purify. He can reach.



15 comments:
Thank you for that post, Lori. I needed it.
I second that. You are quite the example to me sis. I love you dearly. I'm glad Mom and Brenda raised you right!!....haha.... Love you dearly.
What a great post to read early Sunday morning!! I love your thoughts and testimony! How blessed are Lucy and Spencer to have you for their mom??? You are such a great teacher and example!
Amen.
What is the first song listed? Long before the time you can remember... I'm sure Lucy will be writing a similiar post in the future of about how you sang to her as a child :) Sweet memories!
That is one of my favorite songs! I get teary eyed everytime I hear it or sing it. (Or when I read it in this post!) We had our young women learn it about a year ago... and we need to get them to sing it again soon. Every girl should know that song. I used to sing it to my boys when they were babies (even though the chorus says daughter... I thought the rest of the song could apply to boys as well!)
Music and memories, connections that are forever. We are so blessed to have such powerful music teach us about such great truths. He "reaches my reaching" when I feel all those doubts and fears creeping in too.
Thanks for the post! Love you all! Grandma lu
Beautiful post. I cried too. :)
I wish I had a long arm so I could reach all the way to Ut and hug you! (we need to follow up on a convo we just had)...I'll email you...Love!
What a tender moment that your daughter can treasure. Some of my favorite (though a little fuzzy) memories are being held and rocked by mom while she sang me primary songs.
That sounds like a beautiful song. I actually have never heard it before.
I loved when my parents sang me songs before bed when I was young. My mom would hold us in her lap one by one as she sat in the rocking chair and sing to each of us a song or two of our choosing, and I have often looked forward to doing the same thing with my own children one day.
Ah, how I love your profundity.
That song is super nostalgic for me, too. Ah, girls camp!
Thanks, Lori. I needed to read this right now. It was a good reminder.
oh lori...i must agree how lucky your little darlings are to have you as their mother. How lucky Wes is to have you as his darling wife, and in turn we are lucky to have you as part of our family! love you all!
i'm not just saying this, lori...
this was one of my favorite blog posts. ever.
really hit a tender spot in my heart.
when will we ever meet in real life??
Post a Comment