Monday, March 8, 2010

For Spencer

Happy eighteen months, Baby Boy!
I want to take time to list the ways you make us laugh!



To tell how you eat us out of house and home!


(Your current favorite food: bananas. You suck them down in a matter of seconds.)


I want to take time to document the way your launguage skills have taken off. You can recognize and verbalize most of the alphabet. "O" is your favorite letter. Followed closely by "Y"(after which pronunciation you shake your fists in the air until someone chants, "rah, rah, rah, rah, rah! go cougars!"). Each letter sounds beyond darling coming from your mouth. As do all of your words. You add words to your repertoire everyday. I'd try to make a list, but I know it'd be incomplete. "Up," is one of your favorites, though (which is where you'd consistently like to be - on a table, on a chair, up the steps, in my arms, etc, etc, etc).


"Off," is another favorite (which is a good commentary of what you're constantly doing. To marker lids, and toilet paper, and picture book dust jackets, and, and, and...).



My favorite words to hear you say are still "Momma!" "Daddy!" and "LUUuuuu!" (OK, and "apple." And "hippo.").

Your favorite books are "Boom Boom!! Boom Boom! Boom Boom!" (Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin) and "Bu-fla!!! Bu-fla!!" (Butterfly, Butterfly by Peter Horacek).

You love to watch The Backyardigins with your sister, and Baby Einstein's On the Go, and family videos that show you pictures of your Grandpas and Grandmas (And I love how you holler, "Go!" at the T.V. whenever the disc you're watching stalls.)

Oh, and I wish I could take time to tell about the terror I feel when I'm forced to take you into a public bathroom. So many doors to hide behind. So many toilets. (Lucy never had a fetish with toilets. She never hung her hands or toys over the top, waiting with delighted, mischievous eyes for me to tell her, "No!" But you! You are a different being. I cannot let my guard down - or leave the bathroom door open - for an instant).

But, Son, in spite of your mischief, I truly adore you. You scream loud but you hug tight (I can't finish a diaper change without bending over you closely and feeling your little arms wrap around my neck to pull me close for a nuzzle and an exchange of "mmmmm"s.). I cannot believe how FAST you are growing.

Yes, there's much I want to say about you, Boy!


But I have to go to bed!
Because I'm not going to lie:


You WEAR ME OUT!! =)

Love you, Cub!

(And YES to Jeanine's question! He did go to nursery yesterday! And although it was an adventure involving some tears, I think he'll do really well. ME, on the other hand...

Seeing my baby sitting up in those little chairs like a big boy is enough to melt+break my mother heart!)

11 comments:

Lessa said...

He's so fun! And how funny that he loves toilets! And how lucky he is to be in such a wonderful family!

jeanine said...

Oh he's such a BOY! I love it! So did he get to go to nursery yesterday? That's always an exciting day :)

Unknown said...

Happy 18 mos spencer d! we love you and are dying to see you!

let me know if you find a solution to all the climbing!

heath said...

There is so much personality wrapped up in that not-so-little-anymore boy. What a sweetheart!

Heather said...

He is adorable and can't wait to see him some time soon hopefully. Hard to believe that he is 18 months already!

nateandrebecca said...

18 months already? Wow. Glad that nursery went well for him.

Sarah said...

Ahhhh....He's got the prettiest eyes. Saw your mom at the old ward today! I love her so much! Think about you every day!

DeAnna Packer said...

Oh...our "Prince Charming"! They are a pain, a bother, and a JOY!!!

Grandma lu said...

Just have to smile at that little boy oh boy oh boy! Oh and the wink! Love the Wink! and all of you!

Wendy said...

He really is such a cute boy! It looks like you have another genius on your hands too--I can't believe he knows all his letters at 18 months! Wow! And I love that he puts his fist in the air for the "Y"! He's a true-blue cougar!

Maile said...

He is so sweet!! Aren't little boys amazing? And I know what you mean about being worn out. And yet it is impossible to describe in words the love I feel for my own little man.