Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sweet Fragrance


We had blossoming cherry trees in our backyard when I was a little girl. And flowers galore. Coral bells. A hidden little patch of violets. I remember picking and presenting blossoms to my mother on a regular basis. Mom always made a big deal about my little bouquets. Sometimes she'd sing:

White coral bells upon a slender stock
Lily of the valley deck my garden walk
Oh, don't you wish that you could hear them ring
That will happen only when the angels sing

Always, she'd smell my flowers (violets were her favorite, I brought those most often) and place them carefully inside a tiny vase. I don't know where she got all those small vases. She must have had a dozen of them. And I hadn't thought about them in years - not until one afternoon last spring when Lucy burst in the door of my mother's kitchen, her hands full of tiny flowers from Grandpa's garden.
"Here, Mom!" she said to me proudly.


It wasn't the first time Lucy had brought me flowers. But her offering seemed different that afternoon when it was arranged in one of Grandma's small vases. It seemed a little like a legacy.


My heart swelled with happy nostalgia and I mentioned my memories to Mom - all those violets in tiny vases by the kitchen sink. She nodded, her eyes glistening. Before I left that day, she slipped one of her little vases into my hands.

She knew I'd need it.



Oh Mother, I give you my love with each flower
To give forth sweet fragrance a whole lifetime through
For if I love blossoms and meadows and walking,
I learned how to love them, dear Mother, from you.

Sweet fragrance.
A sweet legacy.
So much love.
Happy Mother's Day!

9 comments:

jeanine said...

I love the legacy. William loves to pick me flowers too... love love love it!

Unknown said...

This was a masterpiece. How you can capture huge emotion with little words is amazing. Happy Mother's Day to you friend!

Grandma lu said...

Children like you are flowers in a mother's heart. Bless you and your mother! Love you all! Happy Mother's Day!

Elise B. said...

Love it! You are so great with words!

DeAnna Packer said...

Eyes are glistening in this corner still..... Loving you and feeling the love.

I appreciate you and all you wonderful mothers doing the most important WORK in the world.

Love, The Riemans said...

Your posts are always so beautiful--Happy Mother's day to you and your mom.

Vicky said...

What a sweet legacy. I love it. And I love those flowers at the end. Those were my favorites at Wyview. I always wanted to pick bunches of them to put in my apartment, but I don't think I ever did it.

MJ/Mom/GrammaJ said...

Happy MOther's Day! I love the "White coral bells song. I learned it at girls camp, sang it to my babies, and now I sing it to Adam and Rachel! I have little vases and love flowers. You made me smile today!

Maile said...

Kaia came up when I was looking at this and asked what the flowers were for. I pointed to Lucy and said she picked them for her mom. HInt hint!!