Tuesday, October 19, 2010

For Lucy

Last week we got you all to ourselves.



Thursday through Sunday = Fall Break.
No Kindergarten competition.
I loved every minute. 
So did Spencer.


And although you love school...
red day
(Um, remember how we actually forgot about red day?  How we had to re-do it later on our own?  You made sure I remembered about the other colors...)

 yellow day


blue day

You were darling on orange day and brown day and black and white day too...
I just forgot to take pictures.  But we got one on green day!


...I think you loved every minute of your break, too. 
We spent one afternoon in SL (Daddy had a scan). I suggested some time on Temple Square. You weren't sure you really wanted to go.  "Let's have a fun day, Mom!" you said to me.  But I dragged you along.



      

         
    



After romping around the grounds and visiting the Christus statue a hundred times (something about your little brother and that ramp!) we had the sister missionaries set us up for our own private viewing of the Restoration DVD (why can I not find a link to that on line?).


Spencer enjoyed the video (he keeps pretending to be stuck in a muddy river.  "I stuck, Momma!" giggle, giggle, giggle), but you loved it.  And I was reminded of how real the Spirit's witness of the restoration is - even to a child.  After the film, you insisted we visit the Christus one more time. 


You were reverent and thoughtful, and for the rest of the night:  cheerful and obedient and delightful.  And I was reminded that the spirit's influence produces those kinds of feelings and behaviors. 


When we hopped in the car to pick up Dad, I asked you if you'd like to stop at Ikea for dinner.  "Yes!" you squealed, "Today will be special and fun!!"

I loved your word choice.  You knew Ikea would be fun, but you recognized that our afternoon had been special.  We talked about how "special" is sometimes even more important than "fun."  We talked about how it's possible to feel that "special" feeling of the Spirit every day - if we take the chance to pray and read the scriptures.  You asked me enthusiastically if I'd leave the scriptures on the kitchen table so we could read them "every morning!".  I was delighted by your eagerness.

The rest of the fall break was full of mostly quiet, average fun + one trip to the pumpkin patch.
When Monday Morning dawned...we were both loath for you to race back to school.  (Maybe that's why we've been ten minutes late the past two days?  Got to work on that!)

Good think you always come home to share a snack of "Lucy's bestest washed apples!"  (The secret is in the drying.  Or so you've told me. =)




Love you, darling!
 

5 comments:

jeanine said...

Oh I just love that girl... really and truly. (Lucy's bestest washed apples made me smile) I sure hope that William and Lucy go along with our matchmaking plans :)

heath said...

I'm so excited to see all of you!

Ashley said...

You take beautiful photos, Lori! I love them so much :) And your kiddos will appreciate them more and more the older they get :)

nateandrebecca said...

What a great "special" day! Glad you guys had such fun at the pumpkin patch too; it looks like a blast!

DeAnna Packer said...

Love you DARLINGS! It IS a Wonderful Life!