"...there was a Little House way out in the country. She was a pretty Little House and she was strong and well built." (The Little House, Virginia Lee Burton)
I promised a story. Well, this is good one. Blood, sweat, and tears, and all that.
Most of you know that sometime mid-summer Wes and I investigated a non-profit corporation selling reasonably priced lots in rural cities. Contracted families would work together to build a group of eight homes over the course of 7(ish) months. Sweat equity would double as a down payment.
Most of you know that after some vacillation we closed the deal and proceeded with the project. Proceeding was perhaps not the most reasonable choice. Indeed, there have been stressful weeks, minor injuries (careful with those nail guns, people!), and cold (cold) winter days.
But there have also been angels.
And beautiful days when the sun warmed our backs and the time, passed in company of beloved folks, passed quickly.
Wes and I have spent several days on the site alone together. We've hauled and measured together. We've pulled plenty of nails and shared plenty of frustration and laughter together. And I wonder if there will ever be a place I long to live in more than this little house, way out in the country, made of strong lumber and so much love.
I'm not exactly sure how this story will end. But I wanted to at least give you a peek of the pictures (you can browse the archives and pop by for future updates HERE).
In the meantime, Wes and I feel like shouting our gratitude from the roof-top! Thanks to all of you who've helped (in body or in spirit =)!



16 comments:
I love that you've captured this whole process on film (or digitally, rather). Either way, I can't believe how much has happened since we were there! Can't wait to see it (and pretend to help) again.
I love the pictures and the familiar faces that I see. We need to get together to play again soon.
I entitle this blog with the picture of you and Wes....:
"IN THE DOORWAY OF A DREAM"
Wow- good for you. How fun to see the progress. I sure wish we were closer to help! I got a good laugh out of the quote wall- "And then I will start meetings?" :) The life of a Hall Advisor's children...
I love all the pictures! It made me miss home and the mountains! What city is your new house in?
I am so excited for you! What a fun/stressful way to make a home. I can't wait to follow the progress and see the finished product.
Wish we could come help, but you are always in our thoughts and prayers.
PS-I agree with Katie about the quote from Lucy. Oh the Hall Advisor days. I miss them when I am not busy.
Oh I wish we were close enough to help build your house. We WILL have to visit though. I'm excited to keep up on your progress!
Yay! I love seeing the progress! I can't wait to come up again and see it in person!
What an awesome house blog! That's fantastic seeing it go from dirt to a home (or whatever fraction of a home it is now).
That is SO exciting!! I have been wanting the update. Love the pics! Love the update! Love the story!! How wonderful. I hope Wes is doing well. Being so far away I just feel out of the loop. We think and pray of you daily. If you get time let us know how he and you are doing.
Wow!! What a project! And how amazing it will be when it's done. Is that really Joe & Jason?!? Crazy to think that it's been almost a decade since I've seen either of them!
I love your house. And you.
Christmas is coming!
had a dream last night about visiting you in your finished house...love that dreams will be reality before we know it :)
Looks like it is coming right along! Looks like a lot of work, but I am so excited for you guys. Good luck with it all!
That is really cool, says I! What a fun (and tiring) idea. It will be something to say that you built your own house. Hope y'all have a Merry Christmas!
loving it all and loving you guys more. see you soon.
Post a Comment