Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Rain and Shine

Last Friday's after school pick-up coincided with a sudden down pour (turns out we get a lot of sudden weather 'round these parts).  My umbrella proved a pitiful shield to the water and by the time we got inside, my pants were soaked and my little buddy (barely roused from a nap) was sobered.  We located Lucy and geared up for another onslaught, but by then, the rain was just a pleasant pitter-patter.


We watched for rainbows from the car and had hot chocolate at home.

     


  

I was going to drive a couple of hours to see some dearest of dear friends that night.  I'd been looking forward to the occasion all week.  But after the rain and the chocolate, it felt right to cozy up with my little people and stay home.  I seem to choose "stay home" much of the time lately.  (Do you forgive me, friends?  Can we do it again sometime?).  

Our spontaneous "stay home" plan involved several large boxes I had stashed away for just such a rainy day,


boxes that evoked smiles and tears and memories a plenty.  The unpacking took all of Friday night and there was still a box for Saturday morning.

Saturday was also grocery shopping day.  We didn't make it to Walmart until the evening.  I generally know better than Saturday night shopping, but we had to go.  My wonderful neighbor was kind enough to play with Spencer while Lucy and I hurried (as much as I hurry these days). 

We came home.  We made a real dinner (rare).  We were ready to call it a day when I realized Spencer was out of diapers.  I couldn't swallow another trip to the store.  Maybe swimming diapers would work?   They didn't work well, but they lasted us Sunday and much of Monday - until we made it to the store for a box of real diapers. 

Before bed Monday night, I looked for that box of real diapers. 
???????
Really?
Did I really leave it in the cart at Walmart?????
Slowly, the memory crystallized:  I had parked the cart,  buckled up my babes, driven away.
No diapers.

Guess what we started today?


He's only been ready for a good year or so.  We threw on his undies as we ran out the door to get Lucy to school two minutes late instead of ten.

Except the car battery was dead.

Follows: a quality conversation (lecture) in the garage that sounded something like this:

"Remember when you were playing with the lights the other day and I said, 'Do not play with the lights.  If we leave the car lights on, our car will not work."  Can you see that because the car lights were left on, our car does not work?"

I was surprisingly calm (though emphatic). 
It was a beautiful morning. 
We were already late.
I settled Spencer in the stroller, crossed my fingers that he'd keep himself dry during the half hour walk, and we set off for school.




It was a great walk.  And on our way home, we ran into a super kind couple from our ward who offered to  charge my car battery right after they returned from an appointment.

Spencer and I thanked them profusely and went home for several rounds of musical pants.  Brother L came at about 12:30 and finished up with the car battery (bless him forever!) around 1:00pm.

Just in time for me to dash back to school.  The secretary called about the exact moment I started the car up successfully:  an innocent (but painful!) collision with a classmate made Lucy's shortened school day even shorter.

   

She was a brave little lass (it gets bluer by the minute).



And Spencer has been doing admirably in his underwear!

Life is a good time, isn't it?

Our little series of unfortunate events wrapped up with a long afternoon of togetherness and a batch of homemade cookies.  (The togetherness took place in front of the TV and the cookies were burnt.  Just for the record). 

Anyone who'd like to join the party is welcome!  Just keep in mind that for the next few days we may not be fully clothed. =)



(When my bare-legged boy took off down the street tonight, my friend reminded me of that song "The Streak" by Ray Stevens. Ha!  Anyone else's parents used to listen to those kooky songs?!) 

25 comments:

B said...

Lori, I love how real you are. How admirable and how genuine. And your sense of humor ("musical pants"! :D ). Love you, friend!

Megan said...

First. I love Ray Stevens and we have his CD in our car. :) Second. I don't know how to do the potty training stuff! Ryan is stubborn and I have no idea what I'm doing. So I hope that Spencer continues and stays successful and maybe your success will inspire me to do better with Ryan. Third. I love you Lori. I'm sorry that you had a rough day/weekend/too many moments in life right now. But, as always, you were still finding good moments(way to decide to walk to school instead of just stay home-that might have been my choice).

McKenzie said...

Lori. You make me laugh and smile every single time I happen upon your blog. How you manage to make me see the world as half-full each time I hear your voice through your words is incredible. Good luck with potty training--Spencer will be a rock star. And give lucy a kiss on that shiner. You'll have some great photos with that.

And to your last comment, my phone number should be there--if not, let me know. My e-mail address is kenzie ut at gmail dot com. And I don't know if you ever got it, but I sent an e-mail to you via Wes' e-mail because what I thought was yours got kicked back.

And (for the world-record-longest-comment) I met a friend of yours today, a fellow Hall Advisor, Kim D. (her husband is from Brazil). She had such wonderful things to say about you, and her little boy, Travis (?) was happy to talk of Lucy. :)

Have a wonderful day!

Stefani M. said...

Days full of disasters still turned out lovely. :)

Deanna said...

We just checked out the book "Autumn Leaves" from the library yesterday and recognized the leaf you're holding up as a Poplar leaf. How fun! I am so glad to have you blogging again. I love to hear how you handle stressful situations. I need your example :)

jeanine said...

Oh Lori! You have such amazing perspective! You can make bad days seem wonderful. Love you friend!

ps. Good luck with potty training... it's my least favorite mothering task.

pps. That's quite a shiner that Lucy got! Hope she's okay!

Unknown said...

Oh Lucy! You are a tough cookie! Go, Spencer, go! Don't give up like your little friends here...I'm showing them these pictures for a little inspiration :)
Lori...I've been meaning to email you...hope you're enjoying our lost purple cup, and...I want to hear about your lone weekend--did it happen?
LOVE YOU.

Mandy said...

Sorry we missed you last week but I am glad you have those cute little ones to cuddle! Love you Lori!!

Abby said...

love to read your updates! you are the best mom around. little spencer and lucy are so lucky to you have you! hope all is well with you! i think about you all the time! love you!

Vicky said...

Oh Lori, bless you. What a week!

Rhett is STILL not potty training, and I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future, unfortunately. Good luck to you and Spencer!

Heather said...

Love you Lori and all the "adventures" that come your way and how you take them in stride. I so want to come down and visit you in your cute home (beacuause that is what it is, not a house)! You make everything seem to simple and easy. Wish I could be a lot more like you my dear friend. Please keep teaching me.

DeAnna Packer said...

"As the world turns....so does our girl" I fret because you are too far away to help quickly with a battery problem..... You just keep nibbling on that elephant don't you!
Good luck with the POTTY TRAINING! That will be such a blessing.............and as for our little LUCY....woa =(
How sweet it is to know you are not sitting there twiddling your thumbs.
(and Amy....Not Go Spencer go! Rather, HOLD it Spencer...:)

Nola said...

I am so glad you stayed home with your little ones (even if your friends were a little sad, I am sure they understand). I am learning little by little that time with my little ones is so precious, important and fabulous! Take it slow and enjoy each of those "funny" moments in life. Miss you! PS-I love working with your nephew Ryan, but it might make me miss you more!

ls said...

dear lori,

i am a stranger who happened upon your blog about a week ago when a friend linked to it.

i read your stories late one night as tears streamed down my cheeks for the heartache your family has experienced, because in a small way, your stories are like my stories. my husband's father died of a brain tumor when he was four, and his older sister was six. i have always loved and admired my mother-in-law for the way that she navigated her (and her children's) grief, but reading your words filled me with a new sense of awe and reverence for what she experienced.

i sent her an email that night, thanking her with all of the depth that i have for the way that she raised her boy who is now my husband. i included the link to your blog in my email to her because i knew that she would find such familiarity and beauty in your words. she wrote me an email back that was full of such insight and love, and i have wondered over and over again for the past few days if i should send it to you. i don't even know you, but i keep feeling a little nudge to at least ask you if you'd like to read her words, as someone who was in your same shoes (almost exactly-- the similarities are incredible) over twenty years ago.

my email address is lizsproul@gmail.com, and my blog is lifeupstream.blogspot.com. if you have any interest in reading her email, send me a note (either an email or comment on my blog) with your email address.

may god's peace be with you and your beautiful children.

liz sproul

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

that is quite the shiner!! Brave little Lucy! One day...one day, you will have to inspire me on how to potty train a boy...maybe by pure necessity will turn out to be the most effective method!! :)

Grandma lu said...

Ohhh . . . what an adventure life is! Hope Lucy's face is not so colorful anymore and Spencer Dee is staying dry!

Found some treasures for you while unpacking today. I'll bring them back to you.

Love you all!

Loni said...

I so love the matching Thomas underwear and trains. :) And poor, sweet Lucy and her bruise!

You're such a strong lady, Lori. I think at several of those points I would have just sat down and cried. Keep it up, you've got lots of us in your cheering section!

Lisa said...

Lori, you are the best. Funny how normal life (with all the normal things like dead batteries, and groceries left at the store!) go on, even when it feels like we are still in some sort of other world. I am going to be Provo on Saturday, but I have a feeling you are going to be in the Salt Lake area, I will send you an email. Love, prayers, and hugs!

heath said...

Oh, the joys of potty training. You can do it Spencer! Glad you made it through a trying day. Love you!

Laura said...

You may think you burned those cookies but they did not taste that way! And I LOVE the picture you took of your swing set out the rain-splattered window screen; I would say that you have talent in photography! I LOVE your pictures...and your family! Thanks for sharing your diapers craziness at walmart...I did the same with a gallon of milk (my single purchase that day)! I'm sure you could go back and explain to them what happened...but you probably don't need them since Spencer is doing so fantastically with potty-training.
You are fabulous!!! Thank you!

Leah Southwick said...

We love you, Lori. Thank you for your sweet blog.

Susan said...

We DID miss you Lori and YES we will do it again! A Christmas gathering I think? Love you lots!

Lessa said...

Thanks for this peak into day to day life. Hope Lucy's healing up well. Miss you!

yutzyjbear said...

Awesome post Lori... I laughed all the way through! Your Mom's comments are great and you've got some priceless pictures in here... if you haven't looked back to laugh yet, I sure hope you do soon! You're doing GREAT! Who needs thumb twiddling when you can have shiners and pee parties!? ;) Hugs!

yutzyjbear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.