Monday, February 13, 2012

For Spencer


I'm claiming you as my valentine this year, bub. 

I figure I can for a few years yet.

And, oh, there are lots of things to love about you.




You are ever energetic. Full of fun. You never admit fatigue. But occasionally (less and less often with each passing month), you stumble over and ask, "Mom, can you hol' me to rock?"
 
And I say, "Yeesssssssssss."


Sometimes you fall asleep there in my arms, sometimes you just catch your breath before the next adventure.  I love both scenarios. 

And I'm not the only one in our house who loves to baby you. 


Although, as much as Lucy loves you, you are often the bane of her existence.


You have an enormous appetite.  I can't seem to keep you full.  Fifteen minutes after eggs and potatoes for breakfast, you require an apple and a spoon full of peanut butter. 


You're not too picky about food, but there are some things you don't like.  One night after a bite or two of dinner, you said to me (in all politeness), "Mom, can you not feed this to me?  It's too yucky."
(Smile.  I don't even remember what I served!)

Sugar is always a go, though.  A few Sundays back, I fell asleep while you and Lucy were watching a movie.  When I woke up you were standing in front of me with a furrowed brow and pursed lips.  When you saw that I was awake, you oozed,  "I'm rilly rilly sorry I ate all of Lucy's gumballs, Mom."   

Last fall, a good friend gifted us a big bucket of red vines.  I pulled out a few pieces for a movie night shortly thereafter, thinking you and your sis would hit the ceiling in excitement.  You did,  but Lucy looked at me in disdain and said, "I don't like licorice."  (????!)

Weeks prior to that, we'd picked up a little Cafe Rio for dinner and I'd about had a heart attack when I looked at you and Lu eating your quesadillas and realized I had no one to share my salad with.  The crisis was averted when I offered Lucy a bite and she proceeded to eat as much salad as Dad ever did.  

So on that night when she wrinkled her nose at my proffered red vines, she tried to ease the offense by reminding me, "But I am your salad buddy!!!" 
A few seconds later, you added (mouth full of licorice), "An I'm yur treat buddy!!!!" 


You're also my Go-Fish! buddy, and my stories-on-the-bed buddy, and my put-together-furniture,



and sand-old-frames,

and help-at-Lucy's-school-every-week buddy.

(This happened to be pajama day for all first graders.  But you come to school pajama clad most other days, too)

 
You're getting to be a proficient little reader.


And quite a little artist.  (This video makes me laugh and laugh!  It captures you so well!)
At night your little fingers mechanically stroke my cheek and my lips as you fall asleep, the way Lucy used to twirl my hair.
 
And every Sunday, I lose my resolve to cut off your curls.


"Maybe next week,"  I tell myself.

We spent Saturday afternoon outside, swinging with Lucy in the sunshine.  


(You always insist on a hat, often one of Dad's.) After several minutes of holding you on my lap and trying to catch Lucy on our swing, your little voice burst out enthusiastically,

"Best! Day! Ever!!!" (a la Tangled.  You also watch your fair share of movies/TV!)
Spud, you make every day feel like the best day ever and I'm *so*

*grateful*

*you're mine* 

16 comments:

Lessa said...

What a handsome little valentine you have! I LOVE his curls.

Megan said...

Definitely one of the cutest valentines of the 3 year old range. :)

Vicky said...

I love so many things about this, but most of all I love how it reminds me of my own 3-year-old boy. (Sad that we couldn't watch the videos though!)

heath said...

I was sad the videos weren't working too! But I think you caught the personality of that little boy even without the videos. I love coming over and hearing Spencer launch into a conversation as if we had been there all day. And I want to be Spencer's treat buddy too (I love Red Vines and I'm drooling over those sugar cookies. Yum!)

Julie said...

I needed those videos. Priceless. Happy Valentines my loves.

Julie said...

I needed those videos. Priceless. Happy Valentines my loves.

Deanna said...

Oh my! How cute is he?! Please don't cut those curls! That video is hysterical about the itsy bitsy spider. What spunk and personality. Too cute! Happy Valentines Trumans!

DeAnna Packer said...

I guess 'life is what you make it'... and we see you are making it the very 'best ever'.
Thanks for putting a smile on our day you wonderful Trumans!

Oliver Hansen said...

And what book is he reading out of? I think I need it to teach Ryan how to read.

jeanine said...

Oh he's just too sweet. I could just squeeze him! I loved the video... one day he and Alex will meet and have the most fun ever.

McKenzie said...

Love this. And wow I wish Adi had those little curls!

Amy said...

Spencer looks so cute in wes' hat and I don't know if you can cut off those curls?? Two cute curly-headed kids!

Loni said...

Don't cut his curls, they are adorable! :)

And props to you Mom for doing that 100 reading lessons book with him. I keep thinking I need to start it up with Shep again, but it's just really boring... You've encouraged me though, so thanks! :)

mark and maria said...

Oh my goodness, that was the sweetest post ever! I love that you have little spencer to be your valentine! That video of him is priceless!

mark and maria said...

Oh my goodness, that was the sweetest post ever! I love that you have little spencer to be your valentine! That video of him is priceless!

Laura said...

You have the most wonderful two buddies!!!! They are the cutest! Love to you, of course!