Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Does It Get Any Better...?


...Than a first grade field trip to the zoo on your seventh birthday?


   






Never mind the first few hours of rain/downpour/monsoon!







It just made our jungle experience more authentic! 


And our golden curls more curly!





And our (my!) brown, hasn't-been-cut-for-six-months fuzz  more fuzzy!


Perfect!
But let's talk about the real beauty of the day shall we? 


Early on, we ducked into the giraffe house to avoid some intense minutes of rain.  At first it was all fun and excitement.  We admired the animals cheerfully from the second story and soon took the stairs down for a ground level look. 


That look was brief for Spencer and Janessa, who decided scaling the stairs over and over would be a great way to wait out the rain.  I walked with them a few times and then returned to find that Lucy hadn't moved an inch. 


Not a muscle. 
Neither had the giraffe. 


They stared and stared at each other, something solemn passing between them. 
When it was time to move on, Lucy's eyes were shining with wetness.  Sweetness.  As we approached the doors and the rain, I asked her quietly how she felt inside. 
"Special," she said.    
 
{Admiring the giraffes, May 2008}

I nodded, feeling the same heavenly embrace.  We smiled at each other and shared a little squeeze before ducking into the downpour.

We met up with all our first grade friends for lunch,


But we made it back to the giraffes a time or two before leaving. 


Birthday girl's request. 

And as we skipped and jumped and strolled our way through the day, as we marveled together at Heavenly Father's creations, I marveled internally at his kindness - his everlasting, tender mercy - to a seven year old girl on her birthday.  To a three year old boy (who had been throwing up all night but really wanted to go to the zoo with his sister and who was, quite miraculously, recovered by morning).  To a mom (bone tired after said throwing up all night) who managed to stay awake and not crash the car (carrying said children) on the long drives to and from the zoo.  I call all of that Grace. 

And this is a lion-drinking fountain.


A classic, familiar, Hogle Zoo lion-drinking fountain.  I almost didn't take a picture.  But Spencer didn't remember lion drinking-fountains from his birthday at the zoo.  His progress toward the beast  was halting at best. He giggled, nervously, "I hope he doesn't close on me!"

And when I repeatedly reassured him, "He won't!"


I couldn't help thinking of the sweet, scriptural words of a song I love (sent to me a few months ago by a friend I love!)...

Though thine afflictions seem
At times too great to bear,
I know thine every thought and every care.
And though the very jaws
Of hell [or lions! or life!]gape after thee, I am with thee!

And with everlasting mercy will I succor thee,
And with healing will I take thee ‘neath my wings.
Though the mountains shall depart,
And the hills shall be removed,
And the valleys shall be lost beneath the sea,
Know, my child, My kindness shall not depart from thee! ...


So hold on thy way,
For I shall be with thee.
And mine angels shall encircle thee.

{May 2008}

Doubt not what thou knowest,
Fear not man for he cannot hurt thee.*



*My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee, Rob Gardner

Hold on thy way
Angels shall encircle thee
Doubt not what thou knowest

Those are things I want Lucy and Spencer to remember - long past their seventh and fourth birthdays!


They are things I need to be reminded of myself!
Moral of this story?


Great day at the zoo! 
Happy Birthday, Lucy Lu!

12 comments:

B said...

What a beautiful day. Loved your beautiful thoughts on Grace, Lori. And your pictures. And Lucy's beautiful, rainy curls. And those beautiful lyrics. I'm noticing a theme here...beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

Thank you, Lori. Happy birthday, Lucy!

Deanna said...

I love that song- one of my favorites. Happy birthday Lucy! So glad she had a good birthday and that special experience with the giraffes (and her Daddy). Her hair is getting so long!

DeAnna Packer said...

"The future is as bright as your faith" Pres. Monson says....only wish it would get a little easier! Love your 'types and shadows and reflections' (Funny how Sweet memories are sometimes painful.) BUT, the adorable spotted rain coat perfect for the rainy day and B-day picts of our Lucy Lu.

Megan said...

Wow! I can't believe she's seven. I'm glad it was a miraculously grace filled day for her and Spencer and you. Hooray for wonderful days!

Vicky said...

I love that song. It has a very special place in my heart. Happy birthday to Lucy!

Thompson Family said...

Happy Birthday Lucy!! Thank you for sharing these thoughts and experiences - such a good reminder to my of the Lord's tender mercies. We love you and think of your family often.

Grandma lu said...

Heartwarming hopeful heartbreak. Love you. Thank you for the encouraging words.

Laura said...

Oh my! What a wonderful trip to the zoo! So glad all the sick went away so you could all go together.

jeanine said...

Happy birthday Lucy! (Why did I forget that she and Alex share a birthday?) What a wonderful beautiful day!

(ps. I LOVE that song... )

Heather said...

Love you Lori and thank you for your beautiful words and sharing such precious moments with us all. You continue to amaze and inspire me and I try each day to be more like you, Christlike in every way!

nateandrebecca said...

Happy Birthday Lucy!

I am glad the day was so wonderful in so many ways!

Mrs. Cropper said...

Happy Birthday, Lucy!!!! SEVEN?! That seems so much bigger than six!

Love how you incorporated that song. You are so good at that.

xo