Sunday, September 9, 2012

Gone Fishing

 
 
 
That's where we've been.
 
 
 
Yesterday, at least. 
 
 
 
For our four year old's birthday. 
 
 
 
 
 
  He had a great time.
 
 
 Although those first brushes with the food chain are a little sensitive.   


"Grandpa,"  he said with concern after one catch, "I see that red.  Did you hurt 'im?" 

 
Hmmmm. 

 
 


"We feed them, and then they're food for us!" I said handing him a cup of fish food, and hoping that my forced-fishing-made-me-cry-when-I-was-little-too smile was convincing.  He seemed satisfied, but was sure to feed the fish (including the ones in our bucket) really well.  Just for good measure. 
 
 

The fish, in turn, came through on their end of the deal.  Y U M.

 
And Spencer was, himself, a pretty cute, if non-edible fish. 

 

And that about wraps it up.  Aside from unwrapping gifts...






...fielding birthday phone calls...
 

 
...helping with the spuds...




...snitching gummy worms galore...
 


...and of course...
 


...eating cake Costco-doughnuts-he-couldn't-get-enough-of-all-summer-at-Grandma-n-Grandpa's  (but he only likes "the black ones").
 

Here he is one August evening with accomplice Uncle Mark, after the "no more" decree had been issued by me:
 
Needless to say...
 
 

...it was a great day.
 


8 comments:

B said...

Happy birthday to your sweet spud, Lori. What a treasure you all are.

Vicky said...

Looks like SUCH a good day! (And I'm sorry I didn't wish YOU a happy birthday earlier! Hope it was nice.)

suzy said...

Happy birthday to our favorite spencer dee!!! I'm worried you didn't get my birthday shout out to you on instagram and we were all at my moms and tried to get catch you on your birthday to send wishes. So happy birthday! --know that we love you!!! Birthday or not! :) Your spencer is looking so grown up (sniff sniff) and has apparently been hanging out with grey! (Reference sneaking under the table pic ;). Can't wait to see you! Love you all!

heath said...

I missed it! I can't believe it. Happy birthday Spud! We are so excited you are a big 4-year-old. We wish we could have been there to celebrate with you on your birthday, but perhaps we can extend the birthday celebration for a couple of weeks . . .

Deanna said...

Oh my goodness- he sure is one handsome little dude! I love the pics of him sneaking donuts ;) You sure have a gift for capturing and documenting memories Lori- with pictures and your writing. Thanks for sharing!

jeanine said...

Oh my goodness. He is just the cutest. Happy birthday to my little buddy!

Brandon and Lacey said...

Happy birthday Spencer!! I cooked tilapia a few weeks ago for my little Ryan. He's nearing three and I was a little worried that my Nemo loving boy would be so upset eating fish. I debated calling it chicken, but chose to be bold instead. When his dad came home later he exclaimed, "Daddy, I eated a shark!"

Loved seeing all the pictures, and all of the treat sneaking! He's adorable and I cannot believe he is already four.

Laura said...

Slinkies are the best!!!! And Spencer's face in the first picture of him opening presents, is so perfect! Surprise, happy, cute, wonderful! I do believe donut after donut after donut is how it works at grandparents' homes. :) No limits on treats, there! hahahaha....makes for crazy nights! Sure love your family.