Wednesday, September 19, 2012

"High in Her Tower"

"She sits by the hour, maintaining her hair
Blythe and becoming and frequently humming a light-hearted air"
 
            
 
After the solar eclipse, we had a belated Rapunzel b-day party for Lucy.  Our own little "sun festival" if you will.

 
A Tangled party was just kind of in the cards for us.  The movie itself is highly sentimental.  It was the last film we saw together in theaters with Wes.  It was what we watched the last time the four of us spent an afternoon alone together.  The copy we own was a gift from our hospice social worker, and because Lucy and Spencer watched it so regularly in the weeks before their daddy's death, the music is like a soundtrack of all those sweet, difficult days. 

Plus, Lucy already had the dress (thank you Avery and Emma!  We missed you that day!).
And the long locks. 
And she is, after all, our little ray of sunshine. 


So I let her braid up some invitations.  (And I didn't even try to disguise the staple at the top. A cute bow? Window shutters? Nah.)

 


When our friends came we built tall, Rapunzel towers,

       


decorated paper lanterns,

 

 

made flower crowns,



paid a visit to The Snugly Duckling(s),


And attempted to climb Rapunzel's "hair"  (which task was a cinch for Flin Ryder...satchel and all =).

     



Refreshments included Max's apples, among an array of other mid morning delicacies.
 
Spencer as Pascal (a la green boots):
 
 
But by far, the best activity was the art,
 
           
     
    
 
(another reason why a Tangled party was a good fit for my girl)


 
It was all a good time.  I loved that we had Rapunzel, "before and after," - long blond, and short brown =)
 

We sent our friends home with Tangled related treasures,

     

But the party didn't end there!  We'd been waiting since December to light the lanterns my dear friend had given us as a Christmas gift.  I thought we'd do it on Wes's birthday, but twilight in February = frigid.  So we waited for a better opportunity.  And this was it.   


The weather was perfect.  We turned on music and danced with anticipation until the sun sank.  We thought about making wishes with each lantern.  But wishes seemed a little too unsubstantial.  So we set a few family goals together instead.  

 
Which we've been keeping. 


And it was a really beautiful,


 really meaningful,


 
really sweet evening. 
 

8 comments:

heath said...

I love you friend. What a darling party. And how cool that you got to send off a lit lantern. And as a side note, it's still strange to me to see that straight, straight hair on Lucy. She is gorgeous with both curls and silky smooth hair.

Vicky said...

I love the Rapunzel party. And how fun to light the lanterns for real!

jeanine said...

Oh. My. Word. You never cease to amaze me. What a perfect party! You always have the best ideas!

And the lanterns are awesome! I don't know why but I teared up a little as I read/looked at that part.

One last thing... I agree with Heather that it is strange to see Lucy with straight hair! But beautiful either way!

Lessa said...

You throw the best parties! I may be calling you for ideas in January :)

Grandma lu said...

Oh, the memories! Love you dear ones!

DeAnna Packer said...

Enchanted memories and commitments and love....all so magical!

Kristin Nuttall said...

THANKS so much for letting us be a part of the Rapunzel Party! We loved it so much and you are so creative!

nateandrebecca said...

That looks like such a great party! I love the lanterns too!