The Gadfield Elm Chapel...
...oldest chapel in this dispensation...
...where Wilford Woodruff and Brigham Young taught the gospel to crowds of English saints.
Those early British missions are such a rich part of our church history! And such a rich part of our family's history! Visiting one English cemetery made me want to dedicate another trip solely to the family history endeavor.
Maybe that trip would include a tour of Groombridge Place - an ancestral Packer family manor where the most recent Pride and Prejudice was filmed =)

7 comments:
Wow, I am totally on the same wave length there. Maybe it was the Brigham City Temple dedication. I need to get into family history! I served my mission in England and served in areas where my family learned about the Gospel. That made mission life pretty fulfilling and exciting. Love the English LDS heritage!
What a beautiful place! I never realized this before - but how closely are you related to President Packer?
Looking at your beautiful photographs makes me understand why our pioneer ancestors hungered for their English gardens in the desert until they made the desert blossom like a rose.
How awesome! I have strong British roots, but I think they all came over in the 1600s and 1700s. So they were all converted in the states. But it would still be awesome to find out where they all lived before coming over here. And regardless, I think we all feel connected to those early British Saints who demonstrated such faith and dedication, related or not.
Nola, how fun that you served in all those ancestral spots! The Brigham temple dedication was really touching/motivating to me too! That's where both sets of my grandparents grew up and where my dad was raised!
Rosalee, President Packer is my great uncle (my grandfather's brother).
Heath, Blenheim is one of those huge palace homes you can tour through...you know like elizabeth b. did with her aunt and uncle in P & P. We were going particularly for the garden maze...but arrived too late for admission.
Tears in my eyes at the pictures of the chapel where the gospel was preached! Special place, I can tell!
Thank you for sharing all the beautiful pictures of such magnificent places!
One of the reasons I have always wanted to go to England is because of my ancestral roots there. I know many of their stories but maybe I should find out more so I can visit those special spots whenever I get out there!
Post a Comment