our wind-blown wagon ride back from the pumpkin patch last month
Yesterday you ran from your room, clad in underwear only, to find and ask me a pressing question: "Mom, is In-do-nee-jsh-a in this world??"
I affirmed that Indonesia is, indeed, a real country, and promised to show you on your map after you finished getting dressed. You promptly raced back to your room, leaving me to simply smile and shake my head.
You're constantly curious, enthusiastic always (unless we're at church, or cleaning up, at which times you melt into lethargy), and most of all, you are so delightfully straightforward. Like when you hollered a moment ago from the living room, "Mom! I throwed the ball and it's in the light, but I'm sorry!"
I affirmed that Indonesia is, indeed, a real country, and promised to show you on your map after you finished getting dressed. You promptly raced back to your room, leaving me to simply smile and shake my head.
You're constantly curious, enthusiastic always (unless we're at church, or cleaning up, at which times you melt into lethargy), and most of all, you are so delightfully straightforward. Like when you hollered a moment ago from the living room, "Mom! I throwed the ball and it's in the light, but I'm sorry!"
Or like the other morning when, after snuggling quietly on my lap for several minutes, you looked up at me and said, "Well, wha-cha waitin' for?! Let's get cookin'!"
I love playing games on the carpet with you. You're often my opponent, but on Sunday afternoons we're teammates against Lucy for Go Fish and Sleeping Queens and all of the other current favorites. I try to take everything as seriously as you do, but always end up cracking with laughter. At which point you lean over and give me a whisper lecture, "Mom! It's the middle of the game!"
Sorry, Spence. It's just that your attempted poker face while scrutinizing the Guess Who game board is more than I can handle.
You're growing up.
That's all there is to it.
I packed away your shorts for the winter and the next morning you came into my room with your most "frust-rated" face, wondering where they were. We talked about winter weather and winter clothes and you went back into your room somewhat pacified, only to return several minutes later with renewed protests, "But I don't look so much handsome in long pants!"
I finally convinced you, and you've been mostly content in your jeans ever since. But yesterday morning you were sure your church slacks were too long. I tried appeasing you by rolling the hem. No. I tried turning down the waist band. No. "Oh, Honey," I said (desperate to gather supplies for my pending RS lesson and to combat my own too long hair), "Your pants aren't too long! They're perfect!! Dad's pants were always just like that." You stopped your tantrum short and scrutinized me to determine my sincerity. I nodded eagerly, "Dad really liked his pants to cover up his socks!"
And that was all it took. The older you get, the more I'm aware that you idealize your father. Which both warms and breaks my heart.
A few weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night to the quiet sounds of your stifled, sincere sobs. Concerned, I immediately pulled you close and asked what was wrong. "But I love Dad and Heavenly Father!" you managed to articulate as you buried your head into me. My tears mingled with yours as I held and tried to comfort you.
Those were the first tears of grief I've seen you cry. Another afternoon this month, you approached me and told me sincerely that you felt "a little sad." Unaware of any prompt, I asked what had happened. You looked up at me with pleading eyes and asked, "Can you sing Dad's favorite songs to me so I will always remember Dad?"
Our conversations about Wes aren't always emotional. There were no tears the other evening at Grandma's when you said the evening prayer and asked Heavenly Father to "please send Dad back to earth this day."
And you were unemotional and as straightforward as ever last week when your sweet little preschool friend asked, "Do you miss your dad who died?" You thought for a moment and answered with a shrug of your shoulders, "Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't."
I thought that was a healthy response. And I want you to know that when I held your sad little self in the middle of that above mentioned night, when I felt you sob with love and longing for your daddy and your Heavenly Father, I was overwhelmed with the assurance that your love is returned by them both, a thousand fold and more. And that they are as proud of you as I am.
I know that in spite of my muddled mothering, you'll somehow grow up to be like them. And truly, you want to be a dad. You can't wait to be a dad. You talk about it every day, and two nights ago you informed me that you'll have ten boys and two girls.
Perfect, I said.
(And if you keep up your engineering, you might just be able to provide for them all!)


11 comments:
Oh how I love that Spud. I tried not to laugh too hard (reading this at work . . .) when he commanded, "Armstrong, pick up the toys!" And I honestly think every time we are with those two and a naming task is at hand, Lucy sweetly overrides any of Spencer's suggestions with a "Why don't you name him ____" and Spencer happily complies!
And Spencer's tears brought tears to my eyes. He was so little when Wes died, but it is amazing how much Wes means to him and I love that he wanted to hear those songs to remember him. I don't know how many actual memories he'll have of his dad when he grows up, but it is apparent that he already is treasuring and will remember Wes's influence in so many ways. Perhaps he'll even think of his dad everytime his pants properly cover his socks.
Oh that sweet little boy. I loved that video... Alex and William were in the room while I watched and ran over to view it with me. William looked at me and said "It's not real. It's just blocks." Thank you William. Maybe William needs to use his imagination a little more :)
And those midnight tears and his prayer made me teary. I'm glad that he has a mom that does such a great job of keeping his dad's memory alive. You are wonderful. Love you.
So beautiful. I only hope I can follow in the beautiful ways of your "muddled mothering," Lori.
Oh what a wonder your family is. Spencer is a dear boy! I cannot imagine him wanting anything BUT 10 boys and 2 girls. :) And being straightforward about what he did, and how sorry he is that his ball is in the light (I believe we have the same issue at this moment).
He will always remember his Dad - because you love them both so much and because you were/are such a good parenting pair.
I was reading in the Daughters of God book (I think that's what it's called - the new RS book) and it talked about something that reminded me of you so much! I'll find the pages and email them to you!
Your children are amazing because you are amazing! And you ask for the Spirit to guide you so constantly that you can't be any thing but amazing for your children.
We're thankful for FABuLOUS neighbors this thanksgiving week/month. Love you tons!
I just watched the movie of Spencer's robot - I'd love one of those over here! I love your laughing, I love spencer's matter-of-fact-ness through the whole conversation with you, and I love how you ask such good questions of him to describe his robot.
PRICELESS!
So darling. Your kids are truly angels, and one of the reasons is you! We think about and pray on your behalf often. (:
So very sweet.
You bring all the elements of LIFE, LAUGHTER, and 'LOVE' together in these writings. Tender Times with 3 Trumans for sure!
Love you so....
What a sweet little boy! I imagine that he will grow up to be a great man some day, but mostly because of you. You are amazing Lori. I wish I was more like you.
Love this post, and I love Spencer's enthusiasm! That is an awesome robot! Sounds like his future family will keep him mighty busy!
Post a Comment