I've got to get writing or summer will be over!
I wonder sometimes if I should quit this blog altogether! But I can't quite. Because sometimes I need the lift that comes from reflecting on our little family story. And I also need the benefit of processing/pondering the here-and-now. Even if it only happens sporadically. So I'm going to keep trying.
Let's start with Lucy turning nine.
I love this child. Sometimes I feel like I've known her for eons of time - like I completely understand the way she thinks, and the things she feels.
And then there are days when she seems like a complete stranger. And it's all I can do to read her expressions and emotions.
I truly love and admire her. And trust her - to do good and to choose good and to be good. Sometimes it's hard to readily show that trust. Control model parenting is the more natural default. But we always get along better when I express sincere trust in her ideas and abilities and choices.
And when I simply enjoy her darling, unique personality. The other day she happened upon me paying bills online and asked what I was doing. I explained to her how we have to pay for phone service/internet/etc. When I finished, she was quiet for a moment before saying thoughtfully, "Oh. That's new to me."
I couldn't quite stifle my laughter. There was another smiling moment when, after watching me type a text message for a few moments, she said, admiringly, "Mom, that phone is a real feather in your cap."
When I laughed out loud at her comment, she responded, not very amused, "How come moms fake laugh at funny things, and real laugh at not funny things?!"
Ever my observant little thinker, that one.
And ever my little Cougar!
She opted for a BYU birthday again this year, and we were grateful to share the weekend with some good friends.
followed by a hike to the Y.
At the top, Lucy turned and asked me in all sincerity, "Can we do it one more time??!"
We talked her out of a repeat hike in favor of dinner at Brick Oven =)
She wore her baptism dress to church and then we went north to share cake with our cousins,
and to test out her new wheels. One thing's for sure,
Happy Birthday, Lucy Lu!!



















6 comments:
What a darling bike! Thanks for letting us share in the celebrations. We love you guys!
Oh! How grown up she is! Loved getting to she her grow up and grow wise! Love this girl! Can't wait to see you all!
It will be so great to have you Marvelous Missionaries home Lu! We have all enjoyed Grandma and Grandpa Truman's mission experiences. And, Lori....you must NEVER stop blogging. It is a great history for you... but (selfishly) it also feeds 'our' souls.
I am glad you guys had such fun birthday celebrations! And I am very glad you haven't given up on blogging altogether...I love reading your posts!
Amen to what your mom said about why you need to keep blogging!
Is there such a thing as a double Amen? Your mom is so right! Thinking of you and your beautiful little family these last few weeks. Elder Tate was just transferred from Stavanger. He was a good one.
:-)Love and kisses from Norway
Post a Comment