Saturday, December 6, 2014

Well...

...it looks like we're back to a box of tissues by the bed and late nights of therapeutic blogging.

It's that kind of holiday season for us.  The real kind.  The kind that doesn't bother much with trimmings and trappings, but that treasures every minute of togetherness and savors every last drop of love.


We visited Mom in the hospital the Friday before Thanksgiving.  She was weary from days of exploratory surgeries and yellow from a dangerously high bilirubin count.  But the minute Dad took Lucy and Spencer out of the room to stretch their legs, she determinedly told me the news:  pancreatic cancer; six months - give or take.

I nodded soberly and tried to match her determination, but we could only lock eyes for a moment before the nurse bustled in to perform a blood pressure check and provide shift change information.  I attempted to follow the routine conversation, tried to nod at all the right times, but finally had to turn my eyes to the floor as tears leaked out in a silent flow.  Brenda reached for my hand and held it securely until the nurse finished her business and left us alone.

Thanksgiving came six days later.  And it was wonderful.  Mom came home from the hospital.  And everyone else came home too.  We were only minus two missionaries.







In lots of ways, everything was normal.  Julie's jello salad, Brent's squash soup, Lucy curled up outside with cousins and cats.  But some things were different.  Mom was wearing an oxygen tube when she wasted us all in her first-ever game of "Heads Up" with Haley's phone.


Dad's face was pinched tightly with tears before our Thanksgiving prayer.  And nobody complained even once during the prolonged and smashed together process of several dozen family pictures.


The rest of the week was totally unscheduled.  Everyone came and went.  I loved that Julie and Mark both made quiet, independent trips to the store and returned with trunks full of almost identical contents - from water softener salt to minky soft blankets.  They'd even selected the same brand of soup to stockpile in Mom and Dad's fridge.

All the while, Mom, modeling a cozy line of flannel, floral nightgowns, sat in the corner rocking chair of her bedroom and sometimes enjoyed, sometimes tolerated the way we all rotated through in different configurations of children and grandchildren, neighbors and friends.  Sometimes we sat in chairs and on benches and smiled and cried.  Other times we sprawled across Mom and Dad's kingsized bed and laughed.  LAUGHED.

And there's certainly more of all that to come.  More crying and laughing.  And there's a heaviness to be born.  But I know there will be help to carry the burden.

My heart these past weeks has treasured up Isaiah's description of the Savior, "He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief...Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows." (Isaiah 53)

The Sunday after Thanksgiving, Sacrament Meeting opened with hymn #95:

Now thank we all our God
With hearts and hands and voices,
Who wondrous things hath done,
In whom his earth rejoices;
Who, from our mothers' arms,
Hath blessed us on our way
With countless gifts of love
And still is ours today.


My voice cut out after that fifth line,


but my heart continued to sing,

Oh, may our bounteous God
Through all our life be near us,
With ever-joyful hearts
And blessed peace to cheer us.









19 comments:

Kristin Nuttall said...

Lori, I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I love your mom. I remember when we caught a squirrel in our house and brought it over in the trap and showed her. She laughed so hard! Best wishes to all your family.

Lindsay said...

Oh, Lori, this breaks my heart. I am so sorry.

Rachel B. said...

Lori, I just love you! You are amazing and from everything I've gathered about that darling mother of yours through your blogging, so is she! Thank you for being so open and sharing. It's hard for me to convey what an example you and your family are to me--such incredible Christlike people!

Kimberly said...

We're so sorry for you, Lori! We'll keep you and your mother in our prayers.

Love and hugs,

Kim and Spencer Fields

B said...

Lori, thank you for sharing these pieces of your heart. Your gracious, beautiful heart as you bear this heaviness. I love you.

The pictures turned out lovely.

Grandma lu said...

When we talked of Shadrac, Meshach, and Abed-nego today in Gospel Doctrine I thought of your sweet mother in the fiery furnace, the flames tower and burn but she is walking with the Lord. When we watch her unwavering faith and feel her strength we are strengthened, even through our tears. It seems every scripture I read makes me think of her. She is a light "growing brighter and brighter until the perfect day." How we love you all.

Unknown said...

Lori, Mark and Michelle told me the sad news and about their visit with your dear mother. In so many conversations with Mark he has referred to her as "Mother Packer" and all those references have been about true charity and kindness and generosity. From the few times I have met her I have known that she is extraordinary. Capitalize the "EXTRA".
Please feel of our love and prayers.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Thinking of you and your family! May you feel the peace and hope of the Lord.

Unknown said...

Lori- I have followed your blog for s few years now. Your sweet mother holds many memories for me of gathering with the very extended Packer Family at Shady Acres, the big 5 yr reunions as well as at the Lion House Christmas dinners. I admire you so much as you carry on throug hard times. The Bill and Beverly Packer family are sending prayers to you all.

Megan said...

I'm sorry that you have to deal with yet another hard medical diagnosis for a dear loved one. But looking at these pictures, she has a beautiful family to support her and love her right now just as you have that same support and are giving that same support to each other. I may not know your mother, but I know you and I can only imagine how much she has given to you and am grateful for the amazing woman she is.

Lundin Family said...

Oh Lori! We are so saddened to here this news about your mother! We love you and will be praying for you and your sweet family!

Helicreature said...

Lori, I don't even know you or your family and I don't share your traditions (although I was moved to see that the hymn you quoted is also sung in my Anglican Church) but I have followed your blog for a long time and found much to inspire and admire therein. My heart has been heavy for you ever since I read this post and I couldn't find any words which don't sound intrusive and trite - but I do want you to know that although far away, you are all very much in my thoughts and prayers.

DeAnna Packer said...

To quote another song and scripture: "Where LOVE IS, THERE GOD IS ALSO".

To be "Christ-like" in thought, word, and deed is the desire of our hearts. You make me want to be better. Bless you

Lessa said...

Love to you and your family, Lori! And many,many prayers for the peace only the Savior can provide.

Unknown said...

Mother Eve and mother packer are only separated by a few dispensations in my book

Nola said...

Oh Lori! My heart goes out to you and your family (especially your father!). I hope you can continue to find the peace that you seek. You and your family are in my prayers.
PS-When I read this one of my first thoughts was about the choice you made to work part-time this year. I hope I understood that right. If so, what a blessing in that I hope it allows you to spend more time with your wonderful parents!

Vicky said...

Oh Lori, I am so,so sorry. You continue to be in my prayers. ❤️

MJ/Mom/GrammaJ said...

There are just no words. We are sending you all of our love and prayers. Your faith will carry you through and we are laughing and crying with you.

Nicole Douglas said...

I'm just now getting caught up on blogs, and I wanted to say I'm so sorry. You are so brave to share your life and yet it makes me feel like my burdens are lighter. I always thought about burdens being lightened beause someone comes and help you with your burdens. Now I see all it can take is learning to be grateful for what you have and the time we have. Thank you again.