Monday, January 6, 2020

Sunday Snapshots


First Sunday of the new year (but I still listened to Christmas music while working on dinner prep early in the morning). Went to church and taught my new primary class of five year olds.  I love five year olds.  

In the afternoon, Dad drove down with Brenda and Parker.  
Spencer was ordained a deacon.


How I love him. And my dad, and Grant Leavitt, and our bishopric - all there encircling Spencer and welcoming him into a brotherhood of men and boys dedicated to serving God, listening to the promptings of the Spirit, ministering to others.   


How I love the priesthood.  A power that has blessed my life continually since I was a child and has been present and sustaining to me through the difficulties of losing Wes and rearing our children without him.  


I'm grateful for the increased conversation and discussion about the priesthood happening since President Nelson's invitation to study the topic in greater deapth.  It's so good for all of us - men and women, boys and girls - to understand God's power and our related roles - better and better.

A few weeks ago, a kind person heard of Spencer's upcoming ordination and said to me excitedly, "You'll have the priesthood in your home!"

I smiled and said, "We've never been without it," but wished there had been time to explain.  Time to share Elder Anderson's words: "we can live every hour 'blessed by the strength of priesthood power,' whatever our circumstance."


Been re-reading Little Women since seeing the movie last week (💗).  Love Mother's words to Jo:

"I have a better friend, even than father, to comfort and sustain me.  My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning, and may be many; but you can overcome and outlive them all, if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do your earthly one.  The more you love and trust him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom.  His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of lifelong peace, happiness, and strength."



Time to go sit on the bed of a new little deacon who still has trouble falling asleep on his own.  (But he doesn't need any help building marble machines.)

No comments: