Thursday, May 10, 2007

Battle of Wills

Last night before she went to bed, I insisted that Lucy pick up the crayons and colored pencils she had strewn all over our living room carpet.
“No” was her response to the first 27 directives I gave. She was pretty much thoroughly determined that they were going to stay “On-a- floor!” There was no anger or frustration in her rebellion, just resolve.

The “clean up” song didn’t work.
“I’ll do one, you do one!” held no sway.
“Find all the blues and we’ll put them in the box first!” Probably not.
“Lucy, pick up your crayons, please!”
“No.”
“Lucy Truman! When Mama asks you to do something, we say, ‘Sure mom’ and then we do it! Pick up your crayons, please.”
“No.”
Still, there was no anger, no sadness, no tantrum - in fact I could sense a certain delight in her as she wiggle-giggly denied my requests, demands, commands, and invitations. I wasn’t feeling very uptight (I often do) about her stubbornness, so I persisted semi-patiently, unwilling to loose the battle. Finally, after several of her own demands (“Milk!”) went ungratified because I told her we were going to put the crayons away first, she gave in. Ah, victory is sweet!

But, never you fear, each crayon and each colored pencil received its own special, personal hug from my daughter before it was placed in our blue crayon container.

Oh my word.
What can you do besides love these stubborn little whelps?! Sigh.

Anyway, how about a total subject change? Great. This post will now feature my declaration to the world that the following items have been banned from my immediate presence for an undetermined length of time: Peanut butter. And trail mix.
Sorry Wes, you can buy behind my back if you must.
I have a lot of will power when it comes to potato chips, but give me a bag of almonds dazzled with some dried fruit, sunflower seeds, occasionally M’n’Ms? It’s over!
And peanut butter? It's positively sinful how much I like peanut butter. (ever had peanut butter on Oreos? Mmmmm, thanks, Michelle!) So, until I develop a little more of Lucy’s iron will - the end!

Your extension of best wishes and good luck in my resolve are appreciated. I feel my knees buckling already. I'll let you know how long I last.

7 comments:

heath said...

Oh, to be a mother . . . When I start having kids in 10 or so years, will you be their nanny? Thanks.

jeanine said...

I just had to laugh when I read this post because is it MY life! I have resorted to bribery now. Maybe I'm wrong for doing it... but it's amazing what 5 little chocolate chips can accomplish.
ps. I think you are crazy for giving up peanut butter! Have you ever tried it on ice cream? Mmmm...

lori said...

Oh, no - not "giving up" - just having a small break :) Perhaps peanut butter on ice cream will be my first celebratory indulgence after the hiatus. Sounds delish!

lori said...

And, HEATHER: 10 years? We'll see. As for being your nanny, probably not. You're way too good with kids. And I would never dream of depriving you of such mothering moments :)

mcampbell said...

I laughed out loud over this one. She's always had a mind of her own, hasn't she?

I almost bought oreos last night. I'm regretting it now--my peanut butter will be so lonely. Good luck with your peanutbutterlessness.

Wish you were coming this weekend. We'll think of you.

lori said...

Hope you have so much fun, my friends!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry Lori...I admire your resolve big time. But I'm afraid I could never join you. All because of something I like to call the Peanut Butter Oreo Blizzard at Dairy Queen. I don't even have to specify anymore--I just say the word and Ryan goes and gets one :)
But good luck :)

Don't worry- those kids with a stubborn resolve usually turn out to be the best- just ask my mom about prying my fingers off of the door as I hung in mid air determined not to go to church. Lucy has it even better off though because I was never able to show an "increase of love" like she did towards her crayons. That's adorable :)