Monday, July 30, 2007

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun...

And what a grinningly, girly summer it has been for me!!

  • In May, my mom and two of my sisters came to Provo for

  • BYU's Women's Conference.
    What I remember about that trip (which was perfect barring the absence of my brothers' wives, all out of town!):


  • Sitting around the kitchen table for about three hours trying to decide what classes to go to the next day. Never deciding because we were laughing and talking too much.
  • Huddling under a shared umbrella and walking all over campus in the pouring rain until we discovered the video projection at the Morris Center: we sat there on cushioned couches, ate complementary treats, and listened to the various (wonderful) presentations in utterly crowd-less comfort for most of the remaining, raining conference. Delightful!
  • Remembering over the course of two late nights, full days, and intimate conversations that there's nothing in the world quite like a mom or a sister. Nothing quite like sharing your dreams and discouragements with women who love you completely. Women who you love and want so much to learn from and be like.

Love to you three!!

And I'm slowly, sadly learning that the wonderful feelings I feel about my mother and sisters-in-law are unique - that not everyone has such smashing luck with in-laws! This summer, in particular, I've enjoyed some cherished, one-on-one conversations with a few of these women. Love to you all, too!

And can I talk about beloved women without mentioning the beloved little woman that brightens my life daily? This summer has featured some fabulous female moments with her (now that "dad" spends some of his time camping with the local scouts...)

Lucy has taken to calling our evenings together "girl parties." (And the way her voice squeals when she says "Girrl-Party!" leaves me convinced that woman must be born with a craving for female company.)


Our first "girl party" of the summer was splattered with nail polish.



(Lucy couldn't have been more delighted with her "spark-o-lee" nails!)


And most of our evenings together feature silly pictures in abundance. "Now-I-see-it!" demands Lucy after every shot. The "Girl Party" I was involved in most recently, however, did not include two-year-old company - just the companionship of the delightful women in Wes's extended family.

We're talking: a group of girls that you absolutely couldn't best in terms of, well, most anything. They are beautiful and talented; full of testimony and full of fun! I love these women because they make you feel so immediately included in their circle. I have admired them ever since marrying Wes, and I was grateful for a chance to rub shoulders with them - a little more intimately than is possible at the occasional wedding or Christmas celebration.

It naturally takes time to feel totally at home in a new family, but such occasions as these speed the process indefinitely. THANKS to all those wonderful aunts/cousins involved!!



"We must cherish one another, watch over one another, comfort one another and gain instruction that we may all sit down in heaven together." -Lucy Mack Smith


I look forward to continued, eternal interaction with ALL of these beautiful women in my life. Not to mention my dear nieces...friends...grandmothers...Ah! this terrifyingly long post could continue indefinitely...


Another day.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori- we had such a good time with you on the girls trip. You are such a good sport to deal with all of us, I know we are a bit overwhelming. I loved visiting with you on the drive... you are a great example to all of us. Thanks for being there!!

Rachel said...

Lori.. what a great post!! This last weekend was so fun and i was so glad you were there! I love girl time! the pics of you and lucy are sooo cute.. what a darling girl she is.. and you too! you are such a beautiful person inside and out! thanks again for putting up with us! i hope to see you all soon.. tell wes hi for me..

suzy said...

Lori-your blogstalker sister-in-law actually writes. . .what fun we had. It was so good to see you! You endured the celebrity gossip forums and endless topics of who-knows-what with style! Love your pictures with Lucy! Love you guys!

lori said...

Amy - the drive was a blast! THANKS again for being my chauffeur!

Rachel - so fun to be with you too! Hope Libby gets feeling better soon!!! Sick kids=no fun!!

Suz - Ha! Love to see your name on here! :) Let this be the beginning of beautiful blogging career! ('Cause you know you'd rock Anne's "Trivial Tuesday" out of the water! - all of you girls would!!)

Grandma lu said...

Lori,

So glad you survived us all and still love us! Lucy Mack's quote is my favorite!

Am caught in Harry Potter and may not come out until the end!

Laurie said...

Lori,
It was so fun to spend some time with you last week-end. You are truly a special girl....again, thanks for putting up with all of us. Like it has been said before, we can be pretty overwhelming. How fun to spend time at Women's Conference with your Mom and sisters. They are darling!! I too love the quote.
Amy has been raving about how smart Lucy is. She had such a fun time visiting with your little family for a minute.
You are an inspiration to us all....in so many ways.
love you,
laurie

Laurie said...

Lori you are so cute! I am still so amazed evertime I read your blog with your amazing writing skills! Dido to everthing everyone else said! We Love You!!!

jeanine said...

How fun for you! I wish my sisters and mom lived closer!!! Until then we'll just have to spend HOURS with the phone to our ears (it's just not the same).

jeanine said...

ps. I LOVE that you have girls nights with Lucy! Painting nails is always more fun with someone else... maybe one day we'll have a little girl too!

Adam W. said...

"Spark-o-lee." That is just TOO cute. I can't wait to see Lucy again! (says Marie, writing from Adam's account)

Mrs. Cropper said...

OOH I just died about all these darling pictures of Luce! I concur that there is nothing like a mother or sister for those "talks" and "moments." I am thrilled to be one of your girl-friends.

Heather said...

Well, this has nothing to do with the blog but figured you would be looking. We should start planning the next time that we want to get together, even if it is just us without our husbands. I know I sound desperate but I need that little social life. Let me know what you think

Julie said...

Hey sis--you're my idol. I'm writing from Hawaii and missing you. Seems like we never see you enough. How do our lives get so busy. Got here about midnight Mon. and went kayaking up the river Tues. Terry is golfing today and we are meeting at Turtle Bay later for beach and dinner. Braxdon started school today. Where did the summer go? Take care sis. We still need to get you guys to Idaho :-)

lori said...

Lundins - LOVE you all so much. Can't wait for next year's reunion...and whatever gatherings happen in the meantime!

jeanine - I thought of you and your sisters when I wrote this!

marie - can't wait to see you too! Just read your e-mail. That plan sounds great to us (I"ll still do a 'reply all'...)

anne - glad you're one of the girls in my life too!!

heather - YES. I just saw that you have a new post up...I'll write more on there

JULie - SO glad you're having fun! Can't wait to see your pictures on the family page (hint hint :) And can't wait to see you in person. (Wes says: "'Get us to Idaho!' How about 'get us to Hawaii!'" :) But we do keep looking for a good Idaho weekend. At this point we're looking at probably Sept. or Oct. We'll talk...

DeAnna Packer said...

In a world of trama and sadness and strife and confusion.....How wonderful are good relationships.

I adore you, Lori....and the same to all the glorious women who share your life....for truly, we become a part of those with whom we associate. How blessed are we!!

A grateful Mother

Phoebe said...

Lori.. I loved your post!

Phoebe said...

okay, sorry! I have tried to comment 3 times..I was going to be the FIRST, but couldn't get it to publish (admitting some inadequacy to the blogging nation)so I just typed one line to make sure it would work! haha! So fun reading your tribute to girls! What would we do without wonderful women in our lives?! You are such a beautiful addition to our family, and we are so happy that you survived the weekend! It was a fun time!! Your family girls trip looked like such fun! That is something I've yet to do..Women's Conference! You, Wes, and Lucy are such a beautiful little family! Your such an inspiration to us all! I love reading "Pursuits of Happiness" keeping up on your doings...Lucy seems like such a FUN,SWEET, girl! wish we could see you more often! Enjoy the last weeks of summer! My love to you all!