It has great perks (like $0.00 monthly rent and five parks within five minutes walking distance from our front door).
It provides great opportunities to learn concepts and hone skills that I otherwise would not develop. (I, for example, am a card carrying, certified van driver. And I know the most efficient way to clean up any variety of bodily fluid from any variety of surface. Impressive. I know.)
Lest you snicker at my sarcasm, let me quickly add that there are other training topics that have been truly invaluable: Crucial Conversations, Community Standards, various student development models, etc, etc, so forth: thought provoking concepts that have all become a part of my mental make-up.
But the best part of my job, the part I will miss the most when I leave, is the camaraderie I feel with my co-workers.
For the past year, I've worked with a small, four-person team. We've spent our staff meetings giggling (well, maybe I'll say 'chuckling' for Jared's sake...), rolling our eyes, shaking our fists, and racking our brains together. And "after work," our kids play together,


we go on walks, we share meals, we blog...(Anne, Anna, Jared). Can't imagine what this Project: Wyview year would have been like without them!And before Wyview was DT. My heart still warms at the memory of my DT family. Jay Brown and his Tabasco loving, oh-so-generous, deep-south soul. And my DT girlfriends: the women who cringed with me though CERT training every time DT (our personal residence) was denoted a seismic disaster waiting to happen, the women who laughed with me in the corners and corridors of Spring Haven as we discussed child birth, breastfeeding, and a thousand other topics during every RA training break.
I don't know how many times I heard the comment "you DT Hall Advisors are so close!" Two years ago, December found my husband and I caught up in a stressful medical situation. We were away from our apartment for the first few weeks of the month. I maxed out my sick and vacation time during those weeks and thus came back to work, of necessity, toward the end of December. It was a mind-whirling time.
One of these December days, my friend (three-towers-away-in-T-hall) called. This was not the first of her calls to inquire after my well being or to offer assistance of some kind. She and her husband had been doing all kinds of behind-the-scenes service in our behalf. But this call was a little different. Janna wondered if we'd like our apartment decorated for Christmas. I have to admit, I hemmed and hawed. I thought the whole thing would be a little bit of a hassle. We didn't really need Christmas decorations, I thought. They would just clutter up our already cluttered apartment. And they'd only be up for a little while before having to come down.
But, so appreciative of her thoughtfulness, I didn't say no. I secretly wondered, however, if the whole thing might just blow over. We'd have to get them a key to our storage room - maybe they'd just forget about the whole thing before we could work out the details.
But they didn't forget, they involved the rest our DT family - HA's, Manager, RA's, and one evening my little family came home from a full day of doctors appointments to the breath taking miracle of a beautiful Christmas tree, carols playing on the CD player, lights twinkling a reminder of "peace on earth, good will toward men." I sat in the Christmas glow, nursing my tired, hungry baby, and my heart soared with the spirit of true friendship, the spirit of Christmas, the spirit of Christ. Oh, what a sweet and cherished memory!
And I could site a hundred other memories. When I think of these women, feelings of gratitude still surge inside of me, in spite of the many miles that now lie between most of us.
And as my HA tenure continues, so do the friendships. Old and new.
This year our Wyview team consists of 8 rather than 4 Hall Advisor friends. Already it has been wonderful: RA training, although consuming and tinged with stress, really was great! I have been in awe of the talent cooped up inside my colleagues. It has been a week of dynamic presentations covering topics like Mentoring, Discussion Facilitating, Programming, Mediation, Community Building. One concept, in particular, that we teach our RAs in training is the principle of structural coupling, the idea that we learn from and become like the people we interact with. I truly hope to become more like these capable, delightful co-workers of mine.
So here's to a new year. And here's to friendship, which is better compensation for my working hours than all the money in the world!

14 comments:
Okay... this entry made me totally tear up! The Christmas story touched a tender spot in my heart for some reason. Thank you...
Lori you are amazing and whatever it is you are doing...I am jealous of you and I know that I shouldn't be but you are always so in tune with the Spirit. I strive each and every day to be a little more like Lori Truman and hopefully one day I will be there.
Glad to know that you are back for a brief weekend, before having to head back to "work". Once your life settles down we will have to get together again.
Not sure Christmas will ever be the same as it once was and that is good, Christmas is a blessing and I will never think of Christmas again without thinking of how much love was given to you and Wes and Lucy and how openly and honestly you received it. Your little family will always be a light!
I'm with Heather, it's the Browning poem, "I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you." You do inspire us all to be better people and to forget ourselves and get to the work of loving others! We love you, Lori!
Lori,
Your posts are truly inspriational. I dito everything that has been said. What a great example you are to all of us. We are so glad you are part of our family!
Just wanted to add another ditto. You are awesome. I recommended your blog to a friend, she asked me later if you were 'for real'. I said of course, and that you wouldn't ask that if you'd ever met Lori. You are so great that it is unbelievable. I'm with Heather. Ever since I met you I strive every day to be a little more like you!!!
Don't worry Lori-I'm not trying to be like you...I'm too realistic :) j/k Ditto ditto and ditto...I tell people everyday that you make me want to be a better person...how I wish that I could be up there to give back to you some of what you give to me...hope life is not too stressful for you right now. Here's to a new year! See you soon! (maybe tomorrow?!)
so...these comments all brought smiles and tears to my face! A perfect example of what loving friends and family I have!!!
Jeanine - I hope your tears really were from the story and not from the cookie dough :)
Heather - I already commented on your blog, but let me say again that I think you're amazing, I'm so glad we have reestablished our freshman year connection, and we WILL get together when life settles down!
Lu - I thought of you as I was typing this post. You were the one with me when I came home to those Christmas decorations. You're right - none of us will forget that holiday season!! And one of the things I will remember is how constantly you were by my side, lending strength and hope, sharing concern and heartache. I love you too! So much.
Laurie - you have no idea how happy I am to be 'part of the family'!! And if I'd been highlighting family in this post rather than friends, I would have documented how Santa's entire load of 2005 Christmas goods was delivered to our home via the Bowler family! We're still using our Cetaphil and listening to our Book of Mormon CDs....among (many!)other things. :)
Carrie - dear friend, I read YOUR blog for inspiration! And I LOVE to reflect on all of our happy memories together in Fugal hall! It's been so long! And yet I love you the same! So glad we can keep in touch through blogs!
And Amy dear - I share your wish to be in closer proximity! Maybe sometime in our lives... Until then, let the vacationing begin! When are you available tomorrow!? Shall we do lunch, dinner? Any time before, after, or in between? Let us know! I have some work obligations throught the day. Call us - we'll discuss. Can't wait!
A big DITTO to all that has been said. You have no idea how many times I've thought to myself "If only I could be a little more like Lori..."
Not to take away from the nature of the post...but let me know when you are available for some visitors...we would love to come down and see you guys, now that the gas prices are going down or even if we wanted to meet at a park somewhere in between and let the kids play then go back to a Grandma's place. Seriously, it is always fun to get out of the house and visit friends, and Madelyn is always looking for someone to play with!
I hesitate leaving a comment on this post because i also must just "DITTO" what has been said!! You are an amazing woman Lori and we are definately blessed to be able to call you "part of our family"!! Like I've said before and many others... Your little family is an inspiration to us all!! I loved the comment someone asked is she "real".... You are the most genuine, real person around!! love you all!
Lori, love your post. Brought me to tears...wish we could all spend more time together. Love you guys
Hey i think that the Saturday, so the 8th would be fantastic to get together. do you think we could do it in the middle of the day and BBQ for lunch or something of that nature? Let me know and I will put it on my calendar. Hopefully nothing will be coming up that Jared has to attend or that I have to attend to for that matter.
This was a tender post...I only really know you through this cyber world, but the tender words Anne has spoken of you has made my heart swell and you are definitley someone whose strength and optimism I strive to be like. It's obvious that your family and friends love and cherish you for being you. How blessed your husband and your daughter are to have such a stong and beautiful wife and mother.
Lori!! I don't know if you'll read this, its so far down, and you are so poular. . .it might be over looked. . .I was so sad as well when I saw Wes and you weren't there. We definitely need to get together, because so much life has happened since I last saw you and I need to be caught up. You guys are so great, I love you!
Post a Comment