Thursday, October 11, 2007

A Favorite Fall Recipe

Part of last weekend's Bountiful adventures included a nostalgic batch of PUFFED RICE BALLS...

I remember the delight my small-girl-heart used to experience when I would walk into our dimly lit kitchen after school and see these gooey goodies resting atop the counter on their wax paper beds. I remember them always perfectly proportioned, perfectly round, in perfect rows. A perfect sight.

Ingredients:
2 c brown sugar
1/2 c butter
1 c white corn syrup

Bring to boil...

Slowly add one can sweetened condensced milk. (Do you love the ingredients so far? I never claimed this was a health food, folks! =)

Stir to a soft ball stage or about 240 degrees. Add 1 tsp. vanilla.

Pour over 3 gallons popped corn (we use about 3/4 lb. puffed rice cereal), stiring gently.

Let cool briefly (but not too long! Mixture will harden.) Wet hands slightly with cold water and form into balls.
This little chef was a brilliant helper.

Thanks for the fun, girls!!

(I can't quite label this activity "simply sensational." Sensational, yes, and certainly not very complex, but the high temperatures and the hand work both require a bit of consentration . If you want total simplicity - stick with rice crispie treats :)

8 comments:

heath said...

Thanks again for dinner tonight. I sure love you guys. Let's chat again soon.

Mrs. Cropper said...

I loved picturing you as a little girl coming home from school to see the treats. It's fun to hear stories about you and your mom, and then watch how you are following in her motherly footsteps. Deanna, Lori, and Lucy. Three generations of gems.

Lindsay said...

Mmmm...looks delicious.

Heather said...

Those do look delicious, perhaps I will try them soon. Madelyn is into helping with everything. Always asking to help make dinner. Hope this stage never goes away.

jeanine said...

These look great! I can't wait to try them. And I agree with Anne--I love hearing stories of you and your mom and then see you carry on that tradition with Lucy. Love you!

DeAnna Packer said...

How sweet to hear the comments of 'generations joys'.... I love being included in them. Hmmmmm sweet to the taste! Love to everyone! dwp

jeanine said...

I love your new quotes!

Mark and Maria said...

Yum! Those bring back great childhood memories for me as well! I will have to make them with my kids!