More will come on that subject, to be sure.
Today, however, I would like to herald the Christmas season (in hopes that it will console my "living-room-is-a-half-decorated-completely-toy-covered-mess" blues!)...
So here's to Christmas time! Here's to the joy of watching two-year-old eyes light up at the same time as the twinkling garland on the window sill, or seeing a fascinated little finger reach out to touch one of the glowing bulbs, and then hearing the excited exclamation, "The finger is shining!!" echo through the rooms of the house.
Here's to Christmas cheer, the kind that turns frozen, left-over bell peppers into a merry "Christmas pizza!!!" and into the magical ending of a long-classes-and-meetings/no-family-time-together type of day.



Here's to Target who sold us "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" at a $7 discount and has consequently given our green, six-years-old-and-finally-showing-signs-of-age play dough some fabulous new potential!
Here's to the delightful sound of Disney characters singing "ha ha! Merry, Merry Christmas!" carols, and to the even more delightful sound of Lucy's jubilant "MICKEY MOUSE!!!" upon hearing them. Here's to two little arms, pajama clad, and raised in a silent, sleepy request to be picked up and snuggled. Here's to my own, red, little Christmas angel.
But most of all, here's to the Christmas reminder that, "God so loved the world that he gave his only Begotten son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have everlasting life." The reminder that, "It is more blessed to give than to receive."
The reminder that peace, joy, hope, and happiness are possible in this life because of God's great gift to the world.
Last year, Lucy fell in love with Joyce Dunbar's This is the Star (Thanks Grandma Truman!). The memory of her 19-mo-old self paying such rapt attention to the book's beautiful images and rhymes puts it at the top of my (long) list of favorite Christmas books.
I remember my eyes filling with tears as I read the simple text to Lucy. I had - I have - so much desire for her to understand the significance of this story - the story that gives reality to the magic of the Christmas season.Here's to the magic. Here's to the story.

7 comments:
I love Christmas! And thank you to you for recommending This is the Star to us at Scholastic's bookfair last year! We got it and loved it and are so excited that it is time to read it over and over again!
I love your post! I think it's Heavenly Father's way to letting us know He loves us when our (my) little ones love and cuddle at the most needed times...maybe it's just me since my little one is giving my patience a run for its money! :) This tag line constantly runs through my mind, "It's just a stage..."
I loved the post and glad to hear that you had a wonderful holiday. I will have to get a copy of the book This is the Star. I am always looking for good Christmas books to add to the collection.
Ohh, I'm excited to read this book! Fun pictures of Lucy and what a fun post...I love Christmas!
So happy to see another post from you! I'll have to find that book... you always have such good reccommendations!
So how do I get a copy of this book?
Christmas is truly a MAGICAL TIME OF YEAR.....Here's to the magic everyone.... dwp
Post a Comment