Friday, April 18, 2008

A Dandelion Day

It's been one of those days. The kind that starts with a wince as your bare morning feet encounter a crumb covered kitchen floor. The kind that proceeds with a pair of slippers rather than a broom.
And who says wet ponytails aren't the coming fashion sensation?

It wasn't a bad day, really.

B E A U T I F U L weather.
We took a nice family walk to Zion's bank where we spent 15 post-banking-business minutes in the waiting room love sacs (visualize two sleepy parents and one bouncing, singing preschooler) and where we had to purchase a .50 Poweraid to eventually bribe Lucy out of the bean bags.

And then, this afternoon, Wes and Lucy watched Finding Nemo (Lucy's current fav) and played outside while I took a N A P. How hard is my life? I know. You're all crying your eyes out for me.

But you're probably not crying as hard as Lucy was tonight when my obviously-out-of-line attempt to help her pull up her underpants sent her into a fit of "I-want-to-do-it-myself!!" fury.

Fifteen minutes later, peace was finally restored, prayers were said, and tired child was in bed.

And now, as this Friday night just begins to come alive for the freshmen residents outside our windows, we sit wondering if is too early to go to bed ourselves.

It's not too early. And I think, as I lay in bed, I'll choose to forget the floor I didn't sweep, the weights I didn't lift, and the five tantrums I didn't know how to handle. I think I'll opt, instead, to remember Lucy's laughter at the bank and Wes's sour-kiwi face at dinner. I think I'll choose to remember the decapitated dandelion, wrapped up in a sock, that Lucy placed carefully on the pillow beside my napping head this afternoon. And I think I'll have really pleasant dreams.

14 comments:

Stefani M. said...

Sounds like a typical day with a toddler--seen through the emotional eyes of an expectant mother. Oh, amazing how those seemingly *tough* days sneak up on you when your tired and overwhelmed. (Lucky you... getting to NAP!) It's just good preparation for when baby #2 comes! Glad you can always see the bright side of things.

Unknown said...

Lori, I love what a great example you are to me of this quote from Elder Ballard's talk "Daughters of God" in the last conference:

" The first question: What can you do, as a young mother, to reduce the pressure and enjoy your family more?

First, recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.

Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11)."

I love how, even when you might not really feel like doing it, you always find the bright side for the moment. You're my hero.

Unknown said...

you dear soul...I am crying my eyes out for you as I can relate to these days...and these tantrums...except I have only myself to blame for those :) Seriously cannot wait to see you three!

Meggan said...

Your days sound a lot like ours. Best of luck. One thing that helps me, is my mom always told me to give myself permission not to be perfect. It gives me perspective as I am typing this and trying not to glance at our crumb infested floor.

Vicky said...

I love how you describe your day! How sweet of Lucy to give you a dandilion while you slept! Lori, I think you're the most optimistic woman I know, and I love it!

Brynn said...

Oh to have just a bit of your optimism and perspective. Could you bottle a bit up and send it my way? I sit back and watch in awe as you and Wes lead such admirable lives!

jeanine said...

Lori, you have such wonderful perspective. I love it.

Heather said...

Thank you for this post. Needed it! Can't wait to see you this weekend!

DeAnna Packer said...

...and it was written: "All these things shall give thee experience..." NUTS! :)

lori said...

How wonderful to have such kind, empathetic friends! Thanks for the cheer-me-up words, guys!!

. said...

oh, lori, your words just brighten my day! (even at the expense of a few tantrums, crumbs, and being busy!) It's nice to read an honest blog about your experiences with motherhood - makes me feel understood, normal, and happy as I read your funny stories.

Grandma lu said...

Some day when it is Lucy, weary, and overburdened, how lucky she will be to read your words and know that you treasured her dandelion gift. How we "grandmas" sorrow for your burdens and joy in your ability to choose the better part and dream!

suzy said...

Lori..we have many "A Dandelion Day" at our house and I feel like they will be the ones we miss the most.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I have a hard time keeping my floor clean of crumbs - without any 2-year-old help! Moms amaze me!!!