
Because he said he would.
Lucy loves the tale and the elephant. After thousands of readings, Horton has practically become a member of our family. And we'll take him! An admirable character indeed. A promise-keeper.
But a few nights ago when I was thinking about promises, I wasn't thinking about Horton.
I was thinking about someone else.
See, it so happens that I have been a S L A C K E R when it comes to reading the scriptures lately. A slacker.
Oh, I've done a good job of justification: It's ok! I manage to make it through the scripture block for my Primary lesson every week. I usually throw in a half-a-conference-talk here and a few token verses with Lucy there. I mean, my scriptures usually get cracked sometime during the day....
But.
A few days ago I was a horrible mom.
Impatient.
Harsh.
And as I laid in bed that night, wracked with guilty visions of my behavior, it was not hard to see a great and blaring LACK of the spirit in my life.
So the next morning I woke up extra early and read scriptures for a solid chunk of time.
I didn't study. I hardly pondered. But I read.
And I had a totally different day. And none of us are surprised by that.
And when the day came to an end, I felt grateful for the scriptures, certainly.
But what really triggered a tear or two during my evening prayers was the realization that our Heavenly Father is so faithful.
He is so constant.
He is the ultimate promise keeper.
When he says, "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you," He means it.
He "reaches [our] reaching."
He stands at the door, and if we just open up, he enters.
He "sups" with us. He parents with us. He does housework with us.
He truly "abides" with us.
One hundred percent faithful, He has nothing to learn from Horton the elephant.
But I sure do.

16 comments:
oh dear friend-you are the Horton in my life...and don't you ever forget it!
But you're right. reading scriptures makes me a better Mom too...God does know what he's doing doesn't he? :)
all my love to you.
Wow Lori. Thank you.
Thanks I needed that...love you sis.
I will agree with Amy, you are a Horton to so many different people including me. I have noticed a change in the demeanor of my days when I read in the morning versus when that doesn't happen. Thanks for the great words and relating it to such a wonderful character and book.
I sure needed that reminder.It has been quite a while since I cracked the scriptures but I manage to read the paper every day. How lame is that?
That's one of my favorite books! I really appreciate your thoughts because they are so true! And you've given me a good reminder about what changes could really make a difference in my life right now. Like others have already said, Lori, you are definitely a Horton-like example to me.
It's so easy to push it aside, isn't it. And so easy to justify. I crave for my missionary days when I not only read but devoured and learned from and taught from the scriptures! Now I'm doing good if I read a page every day (which, unfortunately, I don't always). Thank goodness for a patient Heavenly Father.
I love your insight Lori. How can we arrange our lives so we can be neighbors? I need someone like you next door :)
Baby time's coming soon for you -- I'm SO excited!
When Grandma Bert was having a tough day....(She was in her 90's) I remember discussing scripture reading every day with her. Truly, it is life changing. It was for her. It is for me. Such a SIMPLE, POWERFUL thing. (Love you, My Darling) Thanks for reminding us all to keep that door open.....
ps....Love the Quote Wall too. Just wish you could capture the little voice saying those words...like with the corn husking.
You are always so inspirational! I find myself doing that often--laying in bed and feeling bad for getting mad or impatient with Clara. I definitely need to make more time for scripture study! Thanks for being a good example!
Lori, thank you for sharing this insight, and for giving me a much-needed reminder of the power of abiding in God's word. I want to become more devoted to spending time with the Scriptures each morning too. :) Love you guys!
Feast upon the word, why do I find myself snacking and rushing? But what a wonderful feeling to be full!
Thanks for the reminder! Love Horton too!
You a slacker at anything?...hard to believe! But I guess we ALL have those days. I can totally relate and so grateful for the spirit the scriptures brings into our lives.
Been thinking about this all week. Thank you, Lori!
Oh Lori, I can hardly imagine YOU being a slacker... I have those very same justifications. I can manage to make time to read entire books in a day or two but all too often don't make the time to crack open those scriptures. You're always there giving me that extra push--whether it was waking me up for my morning classes in college or giving me much needed reminders. Thank you.
Post a Comment