Monday, December 15, 2008

"Would You Like A Christmas Song?"

I have a friend named Kayla. On top of being an extremely exceptional individual herself, she has a really cool dad. The type of person who takes his guitar, and his awesome voice, and his guaranteed-to-make-you-smile personality to the hospital to play songs for patients at Christmastime. Just because one year the Spirit told him, "Go sing at the hospital."

I always thought that was nice.

But a few years ago Wes and I were the unsuspecting recipients of Glen's hospital carols. Reading this brought back poignant memories of the night we sat amid the dim glow of a thousand blinking hospital monitors and listened to Glen sing. It was the one night I saw tears flow unrestrained from my brave, head-shaven husband's eyes.

I realized then that what Glen does with his guitar isn't just nice. It's beautiful and healing and hope-inspiring.

I'm grateful to know exemplary people like the Registers. Would we all might increase our ability to hear the Spirit whisper and to act so unhesitatingly on its direction.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you Lori and Kayla. It seems that we don't really "truly" understand or appreciate things that are so simple until we experience them ourselves. Perhaps there is something out there that I could do to bring some Christmas cheer, hope, and love to someone else. Thanks you again!

Deanna said...

You have inspired me to post something that happened to me yesterday. Thank you for sharing.

DeAnna Packer said...

The TRUE MEANING.....of LIFE and LOVE... Yes, thank you for helping us realize the goodness of others in our lives, and how we might perhaps serve better.

Grandma lu said...

A song of the heart is a prayer unto me. . . and so is a post like this one. Thanks

Heather said...

Yes Yes Yes Lori we can get together the week after Christmas if you are up in the area. Let us know what would work for you. We are usually around most all day and night. See if Heather will be around also because that would be lots of fun!!!

nateandrebecca said...

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing! I wish I could find a group to go sing with at the hospital again (I am not really comfortable just going to sing alone or anything like that)...I did it one year with a group from the University Chorale, which I was in at the time. It was an awesome experience. But really, either way, I LOVE good Christmas music and how it brings the Spirit of Christ(mas)to people--to me--every year.