Saturday, February 21, 2009

Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes, Part I

When Lucy was a baby I signed up for and faithfully read all kinds of developmental milestone articles. You know, the "Ages and Stages" e-mails that clutter up your inbox until your child is almost four and you decide it's finally time to unsubscribe.

I remember reading a particular article about young babies being fascinated with their hands. And so I kept waiting for Lucy to look at hers. To be endlessly entertained by them. So that I could do the dishes or read two paragraphs of a book.

I waited.
And waited.
And it never happened.
She never gave those darling, dimpled little digits more than an uninterested glance or two. She learned how to use them just fine. Grasped objects, held toys, perfected the pincer. But she was never visually intrigued by them.

Spencer is.
And so much for doing the dishes or reading a book.
I can't stop watching him watch his hands!
I have tried endlessly for about a month to capture the riveted, surprised, concentrated expression he wears as he watches. But because the camera is his second favorite visual stimulus, it is almost impossible!

Feet are also fascinating these days.

And while Spencer's intrigue with his appendages has been entertaining, it has also be inspiring. A needed reminder to appreciate our beautiful, capable bodies.

I have more to say on this subject. But it's late. And you don't want to read a never ending post. So I'm going to end. But let's have a little Love Your Body week on this blog, eh??

Gear up. It's gonna be fun!

12 comments:

Stefani M. said...

I think hands got passed over some here, too. But feet... both each of kids loved their feet (Julian more than Haley) and loved playing with them. Julian immediately grabs them and pulls them to his face during diaper changes.

Unknown said...

i'm convinced...our boys are soul mates...and our girls are way less vain :) can't wait for part 2!

Heather said...

Love it and he is just adorable! I don't remember if my kids were ever fascinated with their hands. Guess I will have to pay closer attention this time around.

Maile said...

I can see why you enjoy watching him watch his hands! He is so cute!! I don't remember either of my kids being very interested in their hands.

DeAnna Packer said...

Love ever inch of those soft, dimpled digits....as well as the other stuff too. Yes, there could be a lesson regarding the body... and I look forward to MORE insightful thoughts!

jeanine said...

I can't remember my boys loving their hands... but feet were a whole other story! They could play with their feet forever!

I'm way excited for the rest of this series!

Grandma lu said...

At my age I am just so grateful my body still works! I watch my grandchildren and all the children at school and love to watch them be so blissfully unaware of the miracle they live and run and play in, ahh youth!

Love to see Spencer watch his little miracles wave and move and taste so good!

Vicky said...

That baby is SO CUTE! Every time I scrolled down the post I had to scroll back up just to get another look at him. It's definitely amazing to realize the abilities we take for granted when we watch our babies learning them from scratch.

Wendy said...

Wow. Spencer is growing up so fast! He's simply adorable!

Everyday Adventuress said...

I love reading your blog. It's so relaxing to me. :)

PS It's been a while, so for all I know you've been doing this for forever, but I love the Lucy quote wall. She makes me ahppy, and I'm not even there.

Everyday Adventuress said...

I love reading your blog. It's so relaxing to me. :)

PS It's been a while, so for all I know you've been doing this for forever, but I love the Lucy quote wall. She makes me happy, and I'm not even there.

Mark and Maria said...

That last picture of Spencer looks so much like Wes!!!