Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Overwhelmed

I have a million pictures of recent festivities. It would be easy to post them and check blogging off my list. But I'm afraid that pictures alone would be slightly superficial. Or at least incomplete. Too much happened that wasn't photographed. Too much happened that was tender. Too many sobering moments. Too much close-to-the-surface emotion.

Let's begin with a simple run down of last Friday:

In the morning we babysat the daughter of some friends who were taking their older son to see a pediatric cardiologist. The appointment revealed that he will need to shortly undergo corrective surgery. This news was delivered to a 40 weeks pregnant mother (who actually gave birth to child #3 the next morning) and to a busy father (who is preparing for a new job that will require the little family's relocation to a far away state in just a few weeks). Our friends, faithful and exemplary in all ways, are optimistic about the whole situation. But, goodness, what stress!

Midday Friday, Wes got a call from another friend. Did we have a couple of diapers he could borrow? He needed one for his youngest daughter, but his wife, recovering from her second major heart surgery of the year, just had a seizure and he couldn't get away to pick up a new package. (Two days later that wife was admitted to the hospital where numerous blood clots were discovered in the chambers of her heart. The life threatening situation was stabilized but our sweet friend is still in the hospital.)

Friday evening we got a call from another neighbor. Could one of us run over and sit with his two children? His wife (who deals daily with Celiac Disease) was seriously ill and needed to get to the ER. Wes watched their little girls for just a short time until other family members arrived, but he came home concerned, describing how very sick our friend was when she and her husband set out for the hospital.

Right after Wes's return Friday evening, his mom (whose generous assistance we so appreciated all weekend long!) reminded us that Wes was needed at the church to set up chairs for the funeral of our bishop's sweet son (who had passed away the week before after a 14 year struggle with cancer and other degenerative disorders). Since Grandma was willing to stay with our little ones, Wes and I both drove to the church to help out. After, we sat in the car together for a few moments, took deep breaths, and reflected on the day's events. We reflected on the exemplary lives of our friends and neighbors - the ones involved in Friday's crises, and others who struggle with quieter, less visable trials.

Our hearts were, and are, overwhelmed with empathy, admiration, grief, and gratitude. As we talked that night in the car, we acknowledged that our involvement in Friday's chaos was truly a tender mercy from a loving Heavenly Father. We had encountered discouragement of our own earlier in the week and we might have curled up for our own private Friday-night pity party. As it turned out, self-pity was out of the question. Rather, we found ourselves surrounded and buoyed up by friends whose faith shone brightly through their various battles. We found ourselves strengthened by the recognition that hardship is not experienced exclusively, and that, while we all have unique, personal, and sometimes heavy trials, those trials are lightened considerably as we view and assist with the weighty burdens of others.

The tender mercies didn't end on Friday. There was the funeral Saturday. The totally unspectacular, but totally sincere visiting teaching message about the Savior's atonement. The prayers and priesthood blessings. The confirmations that there is often purpose in pain and that "opposition in all things" truly does heighten happiness.
"That's the deal."
(Have you seen Shadowlands? Cry.)

And it's a good deal. A merciful mixture of weighty trials and relieving relationships. Truly, God loves us. To an overwhelming degree.

Those of you interested in Memorial Day photos may view them here.

19 comments:

Abby said...

gosh lori.. you are amazing... AMAZING! Love you guys!

Lisa said...

Hi Trumans! I just love your blog. I especially love this post, it really does put things in perspective! I hope all is well with everyone. Hopefully I will see you next time you at Huntsman! ~Lisa

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

Thanks for the updates of 3 of the 4 families that I for sure know! What an amazing/hard weekend! I hope your Truman family is doing well/recovering/perservering like you always do. SO much love from us goes to you (and our dear friends that you can be close to...give them all our loves!)

heath said...

Wow, that's a lot to soak in. When Royce gets home we need to catch up with you guys again!

Laurie said...

WOW. I love when the Lord gives us the opportunity to put things into perspective. Sometimes I get so caught up in the unimportant things, or focus on things that really do not matter.

Laurie said...

WOW. I love when the Lord gives us the opportunity to put things into perspective. Sometimes I get so caught up in the unimportant things, or focus on things that really do not matter.

Lessa said...

Thank you for your sweet message. It is always a blessing to have a reminder in life of what really matters. I am sure I'm not the only one who is grateful for your goodness and willingness to help those in need-- I am so grateful to know people like you who are willing to serve others so willingly. I know it makes a big difference to them. Thank you for being a great example to me.

Heather said...

Definitely sounds like a week and I too love how you can really put things in perspective for me. Thanks my dear and hope to see you soon, perhaps my kids will be better by then.

Vicky said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful insights and perspective on the hard things in life. Just reading your thoughts reminds me of how grateful I am (and should be) for my family's blessings. I hope you guys are doing well, and as CJ said, give our love to those families you mentioned who we know (I think it's probably just one family, anyway).

Loni said...

Wow, thanks Lori, I needed to be put in my place right now. :) I was feeling sad and lonely because Shep burned his hand, Ella's been ornery and I've been ornery back and Shane gets home late. Thank you for the reminder that my issues are such pittance compared to others'. Thank you for your sweet spirit and I wish you the best with whatever your "disappointment" was!

Unknown said...

I am overwhelmed with how to respond to this post... prayers to your dear friends. so glad that gma lu was there to help you too.

DeAnna Packer said...

Emotions run deep... As you indicated, service (though inconvenient, painful) give us the 'power' to keem moving forward.
"The Gospel's True, and We Love You"

Janna said...

Talk about counting your blessings.

B said...

Lori, thank you so much for this post. What a perspective re-alignment! Thank you! I'm just so grateful for experiences like this and people like you who share them so well.

I love Shadowlands! "The pain then is part of the happiness now" is another favorite quote of mine, along with the one you mentioned. So are "Are you trying to be offensive or just stupid?" and "I panicked." ;)

Love to you and yours!

Maile said...

This post touched me to the core since I read it a few days ago and I've been trying to think of some comment that would reflect how I feel, and yet nothing has come so I want to simply say thank you so much for sharing these thoughts.

jeanine said...

Wow. Lori, thanks for this post. I sure love you guys.

Oh... and I sure love Shadowlands too... it's been too long since I watched it.

Phoebe said...

haven't had minutes to look at blogs for awhile...I am now filled with every emotion! You are an amazing little family that is such an example to us all! Thank you for always teaching, and inspiring us! Happy late birthday sweet Lucy! and is such a BIG BOY! love you all

Katie said...

Sweet Lori. This post brought tears. Tears because you are the type of friends we can call when we need help on a hard day (the first people we thought of, actually). You have no idea how much that means. YOU are the examples, my friends. We love you and are so grateful for your service and support! AND, I'm pretty sure that your story of faith through trials surpasses most.

ROAST said...

Man lots of crazy events. Hope you guys are doing well. I was sad I didn't get to come to dinner with you guys the other night. Maybe sometime soon. And if you do ever need me to babysit your cute kids let me know.