

Not that I hadn't always been grateful. We were thrilled when we found out I was pregnant with Spencer. Overjoyed when he was born. We wanted two children (we want ten!). But that afternoon in the rocking chair brought a different kind of gratitude. A comfortable sense of completeness and the hope of normalcy on the horizon.
Now, a year later, two is the only normal we know.

On the above afternoon (last May, I believe), Spencer fell asleep rocking with his big sis. Grandma Truman, who was tending at the time, said that Lucy stayed oh so still and oh so quiet for something like 45 minutes until little brother woke up.
In June, we dropped Spencer and Lucy off to be tended by their big cousins while we attended the temple with a group of family members. After our session ended we called to check on the kids. "Spencer cried for like an hour," my nephew told me. "But then Lucy put him to sleep." Later, I asked her what she had done to help her brother relax. She shrugged, "I just crawled in his bed (pack-n-play) and rubbed his legs."

16 comments:
What a beautiful post! I love how well you put your emotions and love into words. Thanks for sharing. Your kids are so adorable!
your kids are just so darling. You are darling! I love reading what you write. It really inspires me and reminds me of what a wonderful mother is like. I really admire you. Thanks for being such an amazing person!
Haley and Julian are the same way. Love each other to death (despite the hair-pulling). It's so great having kids who are friends.
Beautiful children, what a great mother you are, I love reading your posts. What inspired wisdom in your writing. Keep it coming!
That is a great post. I love the pictures of them together, and I love that Lucy takes care of Spencer, SO tender!!
oops, Janae is a friend of mine that was using my computer today. The above comment was from me! :)
Lovely, as usual, Lori. You captured a lot of how I've been feeling recently, what with Caleb's arrival. Right now, two is chaotic, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
In some ways, don't you think Lucy understands what Spencer likes and needs more than anybody?
I love this post... it reminds me of my boys. And don't you just LOVE the laughter. My boys crack each other up... and I love to listen--even when they're supposed to be going to bed and are making each other laugh instead (it's a little hard to be SO mad when laughter is in the air)
Thank you Lori. I, myself, am feeling some apprehension as the arrival time for #2 is getting close. I loved reading this and seeing the pictures of your beautiful children together. Though, I'm not looking forward to the hard things that will come of having two- I am looking forward to the closeness the 2 will share, and the love, and the laughter!
Thanks for this beautiful post, Lori. It provides me hope with my fears about the arrival of #3. Of course, I will now have more children than arms. :)
Love this post. It is amazing how quick change (like a new baby coming to the family) becomes the normal and what we know. Isn't man cub having a birthday very very soon. Oh and Happy late Birthday!
2 is the new normal indeed. But there's not a day that goes by that I think, "How do moms with more kids do it?" I think in your case you have a built in mother...precious stories.
Happy Happy Happy 1st birthday Spencer! I hope you don't mind many more years of trying to get you to fall in love with Rachel.
ps. Love the 1st picture! Made me nostalgic for my early baby days :)
Love the two of them in every day and in every way! What a great photo story!
Oh for the love!!!!
Post a Comment