Saturday, October 10, 2009

"Mom, You Get Up to the Milk Tonight."

I told Wes that if we were going to be direct about the whole cancer thing, then he'd better occasionally embrace his long forgotten joint-authorship of this blog and contribute a post or two. Aren't we happy that he has grudgingly agreed?!

Lucy is nothing if she isn't consistent in calling for a drink of milk after we have put her in bed. We'd worry that something was wrong if she didn't call. She usually doesn't mind who gets the milk, just that it is gotten. Tonight was different.

She is beginning to understand that I've been a little sick, and she has been so sweet. Tonight when I was putting her to bed she stuck out her thumb and told me about how she had hurt it in the bathroom earlier in the week. "But now it feels better," she said. We then talked about how even Grandma Bowler (who passed away last year) will be healed/resurrected someday. She thought about that, nodded, and then suggested that we have a prayer. I asked her to say it. She prayed for her Heavenly Father to bless me that I won't be sick anymore. The prayer was very quiet, very short, and very sweet.

After I had left the room, she came out one more time to check up on me and to make a final, very firm request, "Mom, you get up to the milk tonight." (So I could stay "resting.")

I love you, Lucy Truman.

(Oh, and thanks for the duet with Spencer tonight in the car!)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

way to go wes. it's nice to hear from you (we've had 2 posts from ry this week too) so there may be something going on in the universe :) as much as we love your contribution, it doesn't matter who the author is as long as the post is about your awesome kids!

jeanine said...

Oh that Lucy is a sweet girl...

suzy said...

There you are Wes...so good to read from you too! Love that Lucy.

Danny said...

hooray for posts by Wes! We also like posts by Lori, of course.

Grandma lu said...

Love that little prayer story! Thanks Wes. Oh, and the duet! I can tell Spud is a bass! Love you!

emily and kevin griffin said...

This is from both Kevin and Emily. We just wanted to say that in all the time we've known your family we never had any idea whatsoever of the difficulty you have been going through. That is a testimony of your amazing faith in Christ! Thank you for your wonderful example in the face of such a difficult trial! You truly are an amazing family. We love you so much and you're in our prayers (whether you want to be or not, hehe) The Lord does live, and He is aware of all of you, and thank you for your sweet spirit, reminding us of that truth! He did suffer all things, and He suffered them alone, so we don't have to be alone in any hardship (D&C 138: 48, 50, 52-53). May The Lord bless your wonderful sweet family! We love you!

DeAnna Packer said...

Amen! and Ahhhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhhh, ahhhhh (I always wanted to be in a trio of little cherubs!!) Prayers from children are heard...kinda like the Bossy Cow prayed for in BKP's talk)

Wendy said...

That story was so sweet. Lucy just melts my heart! And how cute was that duet?! We've got the same thing going on at our house too. Eliza copies EVERYTHING Clara does--monkey see, monkey do!

Jacob said...

Completely random admonishment from the dentist in the room, but I hope this glass of milk is before you brush her teeth, else she may be facing cavities at a very young age. Milk on teeth all night = very very bad for teeth. :-)

Marie W said...

Sweet Lucy.

My Spencer and Emma watched their duet video no fewer than five times in as many minutes this morning.

And Wes - we're praying for you!