No one in the history of relationships did dating like Wes and his buddy Ryan. They had truly mastered the game. Star-gazing, pre-set picnics, tandem bikes, treasure hunts with booby traps, mounds of sand hauled into unfinished basements for pina-coladas on the "beach," board games in the rain (under cover of a bus stop). It was a serious business these boys ran.
And "the caves" were an integral part of the legend. Located on the outskirts of town, accessible only via miles of off-roading, they became a spot for special dating occasions like senior prom. I knew early on in my relationship with Wes that his name had been burned onto the cave walls along side previous loves. I've told him ever since that our relationship would never be truly official until he replaced those names with mine!
Well, last weekend, he did.
But we weren't the only ones partaking of the forgotten-mine seclusion that late Las Vegas night. No, it was a bit of a high school reunion, really. Three SUVs filled with friends. (I could say, "filled with Wes's friends" - but they've all become my friends too. Really dear friends. How lucky I am!!)
You'll notice a TV in one of those tiny, fuzzy pictures. Well, that's Ryan at work for you, folks. Extension chords running back to the cars made it possible to view the gang's old high school video while sipping sparkling cider.
After watching our show and making our marks, we walked back to the cars and started a little flame. Ryan had remembered everything - even his and Amy's old kitchen chairs to burn as firewood.
(I guess he did forget s'more sticks...but where there's a will, there's a way!)
And what Ryan didn't bring - the others did. Matt had the bottles of spray paint for the explosions.
And Eddie and Adam had the guns with which to shoot the rattle snake (?!) I couldn't bring myself to upload the snake pictures. Those interested in the gore can tune into facebook where I'll try to remember to include them...
Tons of fun to feel like high schoolers again and stay out talking (and blowing up paint cans??) until 2am! The only catch? Our 4am alarm clock.
(Note the bags under those baby blues!)
And while it sounds like Wes and I did all of the partying, Spencer and Lucy got in on the action themselves when we stopped by to see the twins!

Thanks to all our friends - big and little - for a WONDERFUL time!

8 comments:
So glad to see that your name is in the cave :) What a fun time you had!
So, so jealous! What a fun cave experience. I love that Ryan rigged a tv up in the cave! And I'm glad somebody shot the rattlesnake, though thanks for sparing us the photos.
How ROMANTIC!! It looks beautiful and a one-of-a-life-time experience. So cool.
Oh! This is epic!
What a fun trip. Love you all (and a tiny bit jealous... :))
So jealous, you have the bestest friends ever!
Treasured, crazy, moments added to wonderful memories in your packet. However, I am wondering with that marvelous account of : "What Happens in Vegas: Part 2".........
Have I missed Part 1?????
You are all nutty, special, glorious friends that I am so grateful for . (but at a distance...particularly when it comes to the SNAKE part!)
so glad we have you to document our lives for us...I've been soo behind! I can't wait for next time...whenever that may be. Love to all!
How good to see that old crowd together and braving the cave! Rattlesnakes and all! And Lori, the first time Wes told me about you I knew his heart would be broken forever without you. Thank you for making all his dreams come true!
Post a Comment