Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It's A Magical World


 
I stayed up until 2 AM last night writing an anniversary post. 
It was therapeutic. 
Maybe I'll post it someday. 
But not today. 

Today we woke up to snow.  Inches and inches of fresh, beautiful, white, bright snow.  We couldn't get out of the parking lot to Kindergarten so we declared Christmas break official and came inside to cozy up. 

   

As I shook the snow off my boots, I shook my head with a wry smile. 
"I'll have to write a new post,"  I told no one in particular. 

Wintertime eleven years ago found Wes and me sitting together on the stairs that led down to my basement college apartment.  We talked and smiled.  I mostly looked at Wes's shoes, afraid a more direct gaze might reveal something I wasn't sure he wanted to know. 

After a little small talk, Wes told me he was distributing some prized possessions to a few dear friends as a kind of missionary insurance - you know, so that he'd have a reason to be in touch with people after his two year trip to Norway.  He passed me a book. 


Wes's young self prized few things more than his collection of Calvin and Hobbes comic books.  He gave various copies to various friends.  I couldn't convince myself that his giving a copy to me meant anything in particular.  But over the two years that followed, I thought often of the comic Wes flipped to and had me read that afternoon in F. Smith Hall.

 

I thought of that comic the bright winter morning were married. 


And I thought of it this morning. 





Happy Anniversary, Wes

14 comments:

Heather said...

Happy Anniversary Truman's! I love you guys and wish the best to you. Your love is so pure and Christ like, wish I could be closer to feel of it more. Thank you for everything you do and say, it is more profound than you will ever think and affects all of us in a very special way!

Lindsay said...

Beautiful, beautiful. Happy anniversary!

Sarah said...

Wow! I've never had a Calvin and Hobbes make me cry. You are a beautiful amazing couple!

jeanine said...

Ditto to Sarah!

I remember that book sitting on your shelf for two years :)

Happy Anniversary you two!

Wendy said...

Happy Anniversary! You two are such wonderful examples of what a celestial marriage is all about!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Wes & Lori! I agree with everyone else. You are both such a great example of what a happy couple is. Such great examples to all of us in everything you do. We love you guys.

Amy

Andrew and Ariel said...

Happy anniversary, friends! What a wonderful post! And I'm glad you recognize the depth of Calvin and Hobbes. :)

DeAnna Packer said...

What a 'ride'...
What an adventure...
What a dear, dear, companionship...
hmmmmmm....

heath said...

Oh, the Calvin and Hobbes books! Good memories. And beautiful post. Happy Anniversary you guys. Can't believe it's been 8 years!

Deanna said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope you were able to get away and do something fun :)

Phoebe said...

i remember the calvin and hobbes collection :) you two are an amazing couple and an example to all of us. thank you. laura loves being around your cute family a little...she tells me always how kind you both are. happy anniversary. we love you. have a merry christmas.

Loni said...

I love this post. So sweet! Happy Anniversary guys!

nateandrebecca said...

Happy Anniversary Lori and Wes! I know this post is way late, but I have actually been thinking about you both and the day you got married. It made me so happy...

Ashley said...

Your posts are always so beautifully written Lori! I love to read them.