My boy loves blocks.
And he's a good little builder.
But he doesn't really like to build by himself.
Few days pass without him calling me to the bedroom.
"Mom! Mom! Build with me! Come on, Mom! Build with me!!"
His call isn't usually demanding.
It's usually bouncing, bubbling with enthusiasm. "Mom!! Mom!! Build with me! Come on, Mom!"
Sometimes I resist the invitation. But I'm always happier when I comply.
And as it turns out, my role is hardly taxing. I am to sit and observe and offer occasional suggestions.
If I meddle too much in the actual building process, I am told in patient, sing-song exasperation, "Nope, it doesn't go there."
He knows where it goes, see. So I mostly just watch. (And take pictures.) But a few days ago, I overheard Spencer congratulate Lucy on some task with the excited exclamation, "Oh, my goodness! Oh, my goodness! I am so proud to you!" and I was reminded of my real role in block building process. And a different voice seemed to utter the invitation, "Build with me."
Spencer woke up late the other morning and asked, "Where's dada?"
"He's workin' on the houses," I told him.
"Oh. And you's workin' on da childrans?"
I think a lot about his question as I try daily to become, in a myriad of mothering ways, a better builder.

16 comments:
Oh love the little insights. Love you guys.
thank you Lori. a better builder. I like that.
one of the best posts i've ever read.
Beautiful, Lori. Such a good reminder of the 'big picture' of motherhood.
Glad that you're able to "work on the children." Because you've done pretty great work!
Love. This. Post.
Great. Great. Great. Something I'm definitely working on today (and every day). What a great lesson.
Oh my goodness, LOVE it. He's so cute and smart! We need to have dinner with you guys or something!
Lucky kids to have Lori as mom--and lucky us for having you around to learn from!
WISDOM in a spoon-full of sugar!
Another favorite post for me.
From the mouth of babes right? I loved this post! I may just have to file it away for use at some later date.
Had my own block building experience with R yesterday...it reminded me that when the "castle" gets knocked down, you just build it again :)
thanks for this. love you.
Didn't notice at first....It is Spencer's little hand on your face in the last picture. Such a tender little hand carressing his mom's face. Sweeeeet!
And you's workin' on da childrans. That truly is our "job" and what better job could we have. Thank you for this post. I have been thinking a lot about this lately and am trying to be a better "builder" myself. Please let me know when we can get together to play again!
What a great post! You always have such great thoughts and insights!
Post a Comment