Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Spencer Fell Asleep at 5:30 Last Night

A few minutes of election coverage (and a few days of daylight savings) did him right in.  So I carried him to bed and crossed my fingers he'd sleep well.  Lucy and I made a can of tomato soup for dinner.  I did the dishes.  She built a Lincoln Log masterpiece.  We popped popcorn and sifted through Halloween candy to find red and blue m'n'ms.  There weren't many. But there were enough.


We giggled and munched and snapped silly photos together as we watched the vote tallies slowly rise. 



My sober heart hoped and prayed for enough.

After a discouraging hour or so, I sent Lucy for her journal.  "Write that we voted for Mitt Romney," I said, a feeling of pride and patriotism surfacing through the growing disappointment.

It had been a close race at school, too, she told me.  11 to 12.  "You were the deciding vote," I told her.
 

I kissed and tucked her into bed around 8.  "Will you lay by me?"  she asked.  Impatience to know the election outcome made me hesitate.  But I chose right.  Laying in her quiet room was good for my soul.  It always is. 

And I made it back for plenty of Election Alerts!  After a few of the most discouraging, I considered bed myself.  There's no point in listening to speeches, I thought.  "Mitt will be gracious," Kayla texted, "and it will make us like him more and be sad he didn't win."

He was gracious.
And I am sad that he didn't win.

But when I did make it to bed after the speech, I was glad for the little fellow who toddled in to join me.  He was alert enough from his early bedtime to snuggle a little, but sleepy enough to lay quietly and let me lovingly lecture him to my heart's content.

"Spencer,"  I whispered.  "I want you to keep learning everything you can.  I want you to grow up to be a strong and a good boy.  I want you to remember to always follow Jesus."

Every few minutes he gave me a smile or a sleepy nod and filled my heart with hope for the future.  I thought of our conversation a few evenings prior, when, as part of a cozy family night discussion, I asked, "Lucy and Spencer, do you know that Heavenly Father loves this country??!" 

"Yep!" Spencer responded, "But he doesn't love meanness!!" 

No.  He doesn't love meanness.  
I hope our children will keep reminding us of that. 

God Bless America.
For all of us, but especially for them.

13 comments:

Vicky said...

I'm so tired of the meanness! I hope we can finally be done with it.

The Mama said...

I love the way you wrote this Lori. It is beautiful, as really, are all of your posts. I too am a little sad today for what could have been. You are a terrific mother.:)

Heather said...

You, my dear, are amazing. I will continue to learn from you how to be a better mom and to rely on the Lord always. And I love the pictures with you and Lucy, you both are beautiful!

jeanine said...

Oh this made me teary... I have never felt so disheartened after an election. Probably because I have never felt with such conviction that "my guy" was the one for the job. I love that you and Lucy watched the coverage together. I wish we were in a time zone that would have allowed for William to stay up. He was so excited about it and asked all night who won. Too bad bed time was only an hour after the first polls closed. I loved getting your texts last night though! And I love this perspective.

Grandma lu said...

Heavenly Father does love this country! Today Jacob 5 keeps coming to mind.

Love you and those little patriots you are raising!

DeAnna Packer said...

I think we all realize His Ways are higher than ours... The Lord is in charge. We must simply do as you are doing Lori...teach, be an example, pray, watch and keep the commandments.

Tough times and events bring longing to our hearts for a better, kinder world....
(Good reference Lu)

Julie said...

I was so discouraged and anxious after the outcome. Thanks for putting all of it into words. So super duper fun being with you the other night. Love you guys.

Haley DeHart said...

You have an amazing way with words. I love to read them. Sometimes I tell myself that I'm going to be you when I grow up (it goes between you and Susan Wall), even though I know you and I are close to the same age ;) You are amazing. I love you too friend :)

Deanna said...

I usually have a dilemma with Azure about long to stay in her room after putting her to bed. I thought the same thing the other night after choosing to lay by her- that I had made the right choice. I love your words, "laying in her quiet room was good for my soul. It always is." So exactly true for me too. Thank you!

Katie said...

Ah, I wish I would have laid by one of my little ones that night and just gone to sleep. Those results were painful to watch.

I need to get Tanner a journal- what a treasure that will be when Lucy gets older!

ztruman said...

To Lucy and Spencer: You might not know it now, but one day you will realize that you have THE ABSOLUTE BEST MOM in the entire universe!!! Love you!

Ceej said...

I do not think that little tiny Lucy girl should be allowed to have such long legs! THey are looking too long for someone who is supposed to stay little forever! :)

nateandrebecca said...

Love this post Lori! I don't think I have ever felt so discouraged after an election as I did this week either. And if the presidential election wasn't disheartening enough, learning the results the next day of a number of other state elections on various issues only made me feel worse. I don't know exactly what the future will hold, but I know God is not neutral in such matters.