Bonus points if you can.
Wes brought these flowers home to me the day before Mother's day. Sweet? Yes. They were the remains of his first "Plant Taxonomy" class field trip. He has been coming home with charming, fresh little bouquests ever since. Bonus points for him!
I've been enjoying the look of captured-spring in our kitchen while Wes has been grueling over the complex plant classification of these dainty...dicots? Maybe monocots? (the other day I heard him mutter from his textbook: "'A compound racemose inflorescence.' That's the definition of what I was just looking up.") Complicated as it is, I think he's pretty cute when he dons his metephorical "plant biologist" hat.
Speaking of hats, Lucy loves them of late. The other day Wes was about to leave the house and was searching for a certain baseball hat that he wanted to wear. I helped him look, and in the midst of our searching Lucy came running out of her bedroom with the below seen grey hat - and another one of her favorites, a wide-brimmed straw hat with a red ribbon. "Here-go, Dadda! Here-go!" Sweet as the gesture was, Wes did find and wear the baseball hat.
Do you ever find that it's fun to "wear hats" you don't normally put on? It gives me a giddy thrill to wear my "gardener's hat" every morning when we water Butch (The tomato plant. Thanks for the name, Kayla!). Or when I buy fresh herbs at the grocery store and don a most impressive "chef's hat" (which often gets taken off mid-process when my high-hoped-for home-cooking takes a turn for the... burnt? Ocassionally.) For our first Christmas married, Wes gave me a set of water colors and I spent many a delightful afternoon playing "painter." Sometimes my self-consciousnes about all of the things I can't do (like play sports in general, or sew, or do math to save my life) keeps me from branching out into the unknown ... but I love people who look at life the way Lucy looks at playing dress up. Just put it on! Stumble around in those way-too-big-high-heals! Just take that blasted tennis class! Even if your husband can't take it with you and the thought of taking it by yourself is exceptionally horrific. I really do want to learn how to play tennis, let's be honest with myself! :)
What do you want to learn how to do? What are your favorite "hats" to wear?


11 comments:
Oh Lori... this post made me think of all the many hats I'd love to wear: gardner, seamstress (especially when I see the beautiful things my sister makes), interior designer, chef... all kinds of things! One of these days I hope to be able to learn a little of each. By the way I love the flowers! So fun. What's Wes majoring in now? Have a fabulous day!!!
ha, i was just pondering this. My hats: pianist, cook, author, and broadway star.
I will at least try out the first two at some point in life.
well, maybe I'll just hire a chef. That would be nice. any volunteers?
Jeanine: Seamstress and interior decorator are on my list too! Which of your sisters sew? Does Amy? My mother-in-law made Lucy the most beautiful blessing dress and my mom is a pro too. I'd love to be able to do cool things for my children like they do for theirs! Wes is graduating in Biology. If he'd like to discuss what comes after that, I'll let him dedicate an whole post to it sometime :)
Amy: Author should stay on your list. I'm still a fan of your book idea about living with Ryan. Or maybe you guys will have to co-author something. And lets do broadway together, kay? The plan so far is that I'm covering Maria in The Sound of Music and Michelle will be Eliza in My Fair Lady.(When did this conversation originate, Michelle? When you were in love with B-what's-his-name-Collins? I can't believe I can't remember his name!) What character do you want Amy?
Amy is a GREAT seamstress... she made a beautiful blessing dress for Olivia. Rachelle is getting pretty good too. I wish I could sew half as good as them. Growing up whenever I got frustrated with sewing I just had my mom do it... now I don't know how to do much more than straight seams.
Amy Jean, I want to be a pianist too. maybe one day. I agree with Lori though... you should keep author on your list.
ooh. I'd love to learn floral design too!
"Ah, I see mine is not the first offering, nor the most elegant..."
A great film.
I laughed at Wes' comment about his 'compound racemose inflorescence' definition. I often find myself chasing through a medical dictionary looking up definitions of definitions of definitions, soon forgetting what I wanted to know in the first place!
I love how you're all metaphorical with your hat wearing. I have a bicycle helmet that I wear when I do my homework and I have a hard hat that I wear when I clean my room or cook. What more can you want?
Okay, It's driving me crazy. What movie is the quote from?
And...i don't know what character I would like to play. any suggestions?
Kayla, if you're not careful you're going to overtake Lucy on our "quote wall". You CRACK me up and I love having regular doses of you in my life!
This morning when we were watering Butch, Lucy looked at me and said "He's a friend!" :)
"What care I for for that when there is such a man?"
"You will care very much when your nose swells up."
"You are right. Help me, Elinor."
Classic!
I think write now I would be content to be good at wearing the hats I'm currently juggling...but someday: mother, writer, humanitarian, cook, gardener, scholar.
And Amy J--I think your broadway character should be Annie in Annie get your gun or the girl from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
Thanks for commenting, everyone! It really helps us feel closer to you all!
Seth: (It's hard for me to write Seth and not "Elder Dockril")...I'm impressed with your Austin knowledge :) Good luck with all of that medical mumbo-jumbo :)
Amy: It's from Sense and Sensibility :) Love that movie! And I agree that with Michelle's musical suggestions. Both GREAT.
Michelle: Do you remember our S and S drama scene? :)
OH - Wes shares the above sentiments, but that comment was by me, Lori :)
Post a Comment