And with this girl...
Been going to movies...
Two thumbs up for Ratatouille!
Have you all seen it? We found the "little chef" to be quite entertaining. Laughed and laughed (only it felt like we were the only ones in the whole theater laughing. That ever happened to you? Huh. Either everyone was having a bad day or Wes and I REALLY needed some humorous diversion!)
And a surprising two thumbs up forHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix! We attribute our positive experience to the fact that we hadn't read the book very recently. Curious about every ones opinions! Did you like it? Favorite scenes? effects? characters? Do tell!! I really loved the "Dumbledore's Army" scenes! Totally got teared up when Neville mastered his expelliamous! curse! Ahem.Also been reading books...
Lucy's favorites this week are:
David Shannon's Alice the Fairy. "What should we read today?" "Alice! An-a-frog!" 
Right now I can hear her in her bedroom reading Holly Hobbie's Puddle's ABC. Everything that comes out of her mouth is followed by peels and squeels of laughter "Inchworm! he he he he he "Kink -sized Kiss! haa ha ha ha ha" "L: that spellls me! THAT SPELLS ME! ho ho ho ho ho" "Doggy-digging! HA! Digging, digging! HA ha! He's dirty!"
(And the Toot and Puddle ABC illustrations? Fabulous!)I just finished Susan Patron's The Higher Power of Lucky in conjunction with Mrs. Cropper's Book club . Interesting book. Check out the discussion if you're interested!

Personal reading happens sporadically for me these days. Always we begin well: Lucy sits by me with her own pile of books and acknowledges: "Mommy read a spesh-al book. Lucy read-ese book," but we never quite continue as we commence. I don't complain - it's more reading than I've done in the last two years of Lucy's life - but it's nice to have made it through a book! (Maybe if I continue to stick with less-than-two-hundred-page-children's-books, I'll have more successes!)
Wes has been reading nothing worth writing about in a post entitled "Entertaining." His books all have the word GRE smeared on the cover. Bless his studious heart. And yet his efforts have equipped me with a new word! Let see if you can define it in context:
Lucy has been perfecting and implementing a new dilatory tactic during her bedtime routine. When we remove her from her evening bath, carry her into the bedroom, and lay her on the floor to proceed with her diapering (yeah, still procrastinating that potty training. Drat!) and jammies, she immediately writhes, wiggles, and hops up. But she doesn't throw a fit, as was once common when we tried to lay her down for such rituals. No, no. Now she wraps her cool little cherubic self around me and says, "we need a hug!!!"
Pretty good, eh? And we're not talking "quick hug" - we're talking multiple tight squeezes, kisses, "mmmmm"ing: the whole nine yards. I mean, she really goes the distance. Calculating as she is, I figure I have to at least reward her creativity by allowing the schmoozing to continue for just a minute or so. When we finally do get her properly attired for bed, she employs the plain old "drink of milk!" tactic. Not quite so charming. We're trying to nip that one in the bud. We've made a little progress.
And...although she manages to delay the inevitable reality of her bedtime by a few minutes, we still manage to get her penned in her pack-n-play- and on good days, at a decent hour.
Tonight after putting her in bed I walked to her bedroom door, and then turned to say something like "see you in the morning!" "No," responds Lucy, "ga-night princess!" OH! Of course! Please pardon me, your grace! "Good night, princess" I repeat dutifully. But a dose of real sincerity smiles in my heart. Good night, little darling princess!
We've concluded officially that Lucy - daily walking, talking, sleeping, and eating here within the walls of our own home, is really all the entertainment we've ever needed!



11 comments:
Love the 'dilatory' tactics being employed by the Royal Family's youngest... What a read! Mom
We can relate to the 'only one laughing in a theatre' bit. We saw an action movie once and I laughed through lots of it, but I was the only one, because I was laughing at the parts that were not meant to be funny... It wasn't a great show.
okay.. we just saw Harry Potter last night... we must discuss! (I too loved the D.A. scenes. And Neville.. book 5 is where I really started to like him!) Loved the "ga-night princess" story. SO CUTE. And you're right... kids really are the best form of entertainment! (Sometimes it's so hard though to hold in the laughter when they are doing/saying something they shouldn't!)
Remember the tee-shirt I told you about, "You say Princess like it's a bad thing!" I love it. I love you and I love the little Princess.
Just so you know, I loved Ratatouille, too. Wayne and I belly laughed through the entire thing.
Ahhh... don't you love the luxury of reading, going to movies, etc.? I love to take Blaine outside to play in the rocks because I just get to read HP! Thanks again for tending Blaine so I could go cry through Harry Potter! Come on though, Serius dying? How sad was that scene? And then the scene where Harry overpowers Voldemort because of the love he feels/remembers! Let's get real- I could practically base a sacrament talk on that! ;)
I have to agree with Anne... Rich and I had a whole conversation about Voldemort/Satan... interesting.
I really need to get into the HP series! Obviously! Anne has such strong feelings about it...I have seen some of the movies....I just feel so left out.
Your pictures are cute, cute, cute!
Carrie - we've had that "laughing at things not meant to be funny" experience too!
Jeanine and Anne - so glad we all have such positive regard for HP. Are we excited for the book this Friday? YES.
Kate - jump on board! You'll never look back! :)
Julie - I've been laughing about your princess comment all week!
Autumn - I'm glad someone else can vouch for Ratatouille! We loved it!
Hey, we really need to plan a 161 reunion of some sort. Let me know what works for you and we can figure something out.
this Heather thing really is confusing...next Wednesday works for us, Jared usually has scouts but none of his boys ever come or it is just one that says he can come and what fun is that. So let me know exactly what you and Wes decide on and then we will have to decide on where we want to meet.
Post a Comment