Thursday, July 19, 2007

Reconsidering My Bedtime

"If you hoot with the owls at night, you can't soar with the eagles in the morning," my mother often reminded me when I was young.


Well, it's time for this owl to do a little evaluation of the hours she's been keeping of late.

NOTE: I do not think staying up late is an evil practice. In fact, I find it FUN, sometimes necessary, and often practical for many reasons. This post should not be interpreted as anything like a censure or chastisement of any person utilizing or enjoying night-time hours.
Thank you,
The Management.

Why is this topic on my mind? For the past several months my bedtime has been creeping closer and closer to the E end of LATE! There is something about the "endlessness" of late night that has appealed to me in a life that otherwise consists of "moment snatching." You can relate: snatch a moment here for scripture reading, a moment there for showering, a moment somewhere else for important cleaning, exercising, etc, etc, so forth. I've learned to stop resenting this "moment snatching" lifestyle. It's really not a bad way to live. In fact, I don't know many people who don't live like this. The only time I didn't was when I was a single college student and my independent life was entirely scheduled. By me.

And so, the "never-ending" nature of the night time has lured me into it's grasp! For the last several months I've been staying up writing or reading until ridiculous hours of the morning. I can't say it's been BAD, or unproductive...but it has not developed without cost. My "soaring" morning moments have been sacrificed on the alter of late night activity. Not that you can really sleep in with a two year old in the house. But I don't think "soaring with the eagles" includes my my current rolling out of bed around 7:00am in begrudging answer of Lucy's call. No. I used to be a really EARLY morning riser. 5:00am was absolutely routine. So when I think fondly about "soaring," I think about solitary soaring, meaning: a good hour or two with no two year old in tow.

So, the question becomes: is early really preferable to late? They both feature personal time without a lot of societal or parental responsibility. Honestly, I think it's a totally personal question - different for everyone. What's the answer for you?


Although I know a lot of people who work better, physically and mentally, at night - for me... early is preferable to late. And I write this post as a resolve to rewire my internal clock.

Granted: There are some late night occasions that I find absolutely worth a missed morning. Like Wednesday night's chick flick with Anne...or tonight's Harry Potter party(!!). Definitely "owl" occasions.

But I want, as a general rule, to stop hating the alarm clock in the morning - whether it's Lucy's cry or Wes's cell phone. And a few days ago I came across a passage of scripture that really motivated me to change my personal circadian cycle.

It's found in the first chapter of Mark - a chapter that recounts a whirlwind of the Savior's activities: his own baptism, his preaching the gospel, his calling of disciples, his casting out devils and healing the sick. Teaching, preaching, healing - again and again and again - a pretty typical New Testament passage that wraps up with these verses:

33: And all the city was gathered together at the door.
34: And he healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils

35: And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.
36: And Simon and they that were with him followed after him.
37: And when they had found him, they said unto him, All men seek for thee
38: And he said unto them, let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also: for therefore came I forth.

What stood out so vividly to me was: Everyone must have been clamoring, constantly, for the Savior's attention. Constantly.

The clamoring of my two-year-old child and the compulsion of my other responsibilities can't even compare. But they do help me relate.

I was moved that the Savior made time, "a great while before day," to pray, to be renewed in his purpose, to commit to the clamoring and to the need that surrounded him, that would be present again, any moment, with the dawning of a new day. And the new day came. And Simon affirmed, "All men seek for thee." And because of the Savior's early morning preparation he could say, in effect, bring it on! "Let us go..." "For therefore came I forth"

And so...

Out of a personal need for greater presence in the moments of my life, I resolve to break company with the mid-night owls (always barring special occasions, as mentioned above) and to spend more early morning time in preparation for a new day.

Maybe then I'll be chipper enough to grace Lucy's mornings with the songs that awakened me throughout my childhood. Like...

"It's so nice to get up in the morning
when the sun begins to shine
at four or five or six o' clock
in the good ol summer time
but when the dew's a doing
and it's cloudy over 'ead
it's so nice to get up in the mornin'
but it's nicer to lie in yar bed!"

I just really can't brave that kind of Irish accent (or is it Scottish, mom?) with out a little preparation.



"We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aids, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn."
Henry David Thoreau


11 comments:

Unknown said...

I have no room to talk since I was more of an owl this week of course. I agree with all you said...and I'm assuming that you will allow yourself one last owl night for HP...we will be at the party here...but so jealous we can't be up there with you guys!

loving you and glad to be back in the blogging world.

Carrie said...

Aahh, Lori, I remember you singing to me to wake me up in good ole Fugal. Is that the song you sang? You were such a kind roommate. I can't imagine that you would be the type to dread an alarm clock. Loved the insight into Mark. Thanks for sharing!

Brooke said...

Like Marie, I too must now leave my mark. I have enjoyed perusing your blog now and again, but typically, just before I start to post there ineveitably will be a suspicious noise from the other room. I have learned to head the instinct to check those kind of noises out right away or else I end up with eggs stacked neatly in the fridge door with at least one egg drizzling down the side into the lovely (and you are one of the few poeple who can relate) shag DT carpet.
Anyway, I have to tell you, Lori, I really enjoy reading about your insights and this one on bedtime was no exception. I can SOOO relate!
And speaking of owls, have you and Lucy ever read Owl Moon? It's one of Lincoln's favorites.

lori said...

Ah! Thanks for the recomendation, Brooke! We'll certainly look for Owl Moon! And I'm so excited about your blog!! Those first entries were so fun to read!!

Amy - so glad you're home safe and sound! Can't wait do discuss details of tonight's party :)!

And Carrie - Our year in Fugal was my BEST early morning year ever! I have such fond memories of you and Jeanine telling me every night what time to wake you up the next morning :) But I don't remember singing! yikes. Mmm. That was such a fun year!!

jeanine said...

Ha! I forgot that we used to use you as an alarm clock. What a great roommate you were! I loved your insight into Mark as well. That may just motivate me to change my "owl" ways. I like to stay up late... but never get much accomplished. When I DO happen to rouse myself before the boys do the job for me I get a WHOLE LOT more done.

Heather said...

Lori, okay so I am a little peeved now because I went to check on something different and my whole post had disappeared. so here is the jist of my thought...
I don't know what to consider myself, owl or eagle. Help me out. I awake at 5:15 to the sound of an alarm and try to go back to sleep as Jared gets ready for work. He leaves at 5:45 and by 6:00, usually, Spencer is awake due to the sound of the garage opening. He isn't one to go back to sleep thus I am up but not coherent. We like to be to bed no later than 10:00 but sometimes that just doesn't happen. I would like to be an eagle because then I would get more done. When I am up at night and have my solitary time, I usually end up watching tv because there must be something worthwhile watching (there really isn't). Perhaps you have motivated me to turn my life around, which doesn't surprise me becuase you have always seemed to do that.

Flashback moment to freshman year...you in bed by 9:30 on weekends and I would be out till 3:00 am just talking to Dave and who knows who else.

lori said...

ha! Heather, I love the memory! I was always a pretty big nerd when it came to going to bed early in college :)

And I hear you with the "being up but not coherant"! But really - a sleeping schedule is all pretty irelevent when you have a young baby like Spencer. That's when sleep at any time of the day or night is a rare and precious comodity and I say: take whatever you can get! :)

Wes is back and he's reminded me of an obligation he has on Wed. night. Would you guys be available at all on Tuesday? Or perhaps earlier Wed? We'll try to keep thinking this through. We're excited to see you guys!

Emily Anne said...

Love these thoughts, Lori -- I've never been great at mornings, but I want to be. Love what your mom used to say about owls and eagles -- totally reminds me of something my own mother would have uttered, she always had a clever saying for life's lessons. Hoping you have many coming mornings of cheerful early rising!

heath said...

Oooh, I sure have been trying to get to bed early. But I'm just not tired until 11ish in the summertime. And it's hard to force yourself to get up early when you don't have kids or school, so the cycle continues. I woke up early today because of the broadcast, but somehow I forsee a nap rather than an early bedtime. I'm going to sure try though!

Marie W said...

I loved your scriptural insight, Lori. I even pulled Adam away from whatever online article he was reading at the time and shared it with him. And now, I stand (well actually I'm sitting) before you, re-resolved to get up and do my personal morning study. I was so good for two weeks...time to get back in the habit.

Anna said...

Lori, I thought that 7 am was soaring with the eagles! I thought that was a pretty respectable time to wake up (at least with this job). I am quite impressed with you that you are trying to get up earlier. It's a great idea to set yourself every morning before something tries to knock you off balance.