Friday, August 31, 2007

A Little Controversy

In the midst of dealing with this week's missing mattresses and malfunctioning keys, Wes and I have been on a mission, spurred by my sis-in-law Suzy's recent post about...
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE
Suzy made a pretty good argument for the new P&P (which Wes and I had only seen once about two years ago). Her argument was good enough that we felt compelled to rent and watch the new version again that very night. And the next night we exchanged it for the old (BBC) version. Needless to say, the last few mornings we have not been soaring with any eagles.
But we've made a few conclusions.
While opinions on the subject vary and tastes differ, for us: BBC takes the cake. The whole cake.
Granted, the new version is a good watch. (It's such a good story that it can't help being a good watch!) But Kiera Knightly as Lizzie lacks a little maturity for me, Darcy lacks a little personality (granted he doesn't have five hours to develop much!) and the last scene (which I had forgotten about until we viewed it again) makes me GAG.
I do give the new version credit for condensation. That's a lot of story to fairly accurately cram into an hour or two!
So...to each his own! I wish you new-version-lovers many (fewer!) hours of happy watching - but as for me and my house, we remain faithful to Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth.

duhn duh na na na, duhn duh na na na, duhn duhn duhn duhn duhn duhn,
duhn duh na na na, duhn duh na na na, duhn duhn duhn duhn duhn duhn...

7 comments:

heath said...

Ah, I have been thinking of this very thing. I was looking for a light read, something that wouldn't take over my life (such as New Moon, which I read about a week ago) so I pulled Pride and Prejudice off the shelf. First of all, may I say that among its other virtues, Pride and Prejudice has short chapters! How much easier it is to put a book down when you come to the end of the chapter (I suppose it also helps that I know what happens next).

But on to the point--as I read, I can't help but see the whole thing played out in my mind, via the A&E actors. Granted, I've watched it WAY too much, but they are so very faithful to the dialogue and the feeling of the thing! My only complaint to this day is that I don't think Jane quite fits the part--she's a little too calm and gentle. Afterall, Mr. Darcy did say, "She smiles too much", but I don't particularly think of that Jane as a real smiler.

jeanine said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly! The new version is alright but give me the BBC version any day! When Rachelle had her wisdom teeth out this summer she and my mom watched the BBC version for the first time. They liked it better too.

suzy said...

Ha! Loved it Lori!!! To each their own...:)

Carrie said...

Having been given both for Christmas, I have difficulty choosing, so do ya know what I do? I go on a 7 hour P&P binge instead the already lengthy 5. Yep, and then I get a hankering to reread the book, so I honestly try to avoid P&P so as to not let it completely take over for days on end.

I'm pathetic.

I know.

Gosh, I love that story. I've only read the B of M more times probably.

I think a binge is coming on right now... it is a three day weekend...

Danny said...

Shall the shades of the BBC version be thus polluted by this insolent newcomer, without family, connections, or fortune? Shall this be endured? No, it shall not be! :) The BBC version alone is worth more than 600 pounds. We can also say that we do prefer this version of P&P to any other.

Danny and Anna

Marie W said...

I wholeheartedly agree with those of you who are in love with the BBC version. I own the DVD set and require no other P&P movie in my video collection. Although, I do have to give the new version props for gorgeous shots of the English countryside, a fantastic soundtrack, and good sound during the ballroom scenes. Sometimes the conversation is difficult to follow in my beloved BBC version.

HOWEVER, as for characters - for me, there is no other Darcy than Colin Firth, and Jennifer Ehle is the ideal Elizabeth. I love rewinding (well, that was in the old days - now I just "step back" in DVD language) to review the end of the 4th (?) episode where Elizabeth turns to take one last look at Darcy and Pemberly. SO romantic! You need all 5 hours to make room for those moments. And, I love how close to the original language the dialogue is in the 5 hour version. They really didn't have to cut much out since it takes nearly as long to watch as it does to read.

I love Jane Austen!

Grandma lu said...

OK, girls. I have never (nearly blasphemous) ever seen the 5 hour version. Ever. My new goal. I'll let you all know. I do love the scenery, music and mush of the abreviated verson.