Thursday, September 13, 2007

Hopes

One thing I love about the arrival of fall semester: watching new college freshmen and their parents. Oh, such entertainment! The worry, the excitement, the awkwardness, the happiness, the QUESTIONS. I have to reluctantly admit that watching them occasionally makes me slightly emotional. I sometimes have to blink back a tear or two at the sight of attentive, doting dads hovering about their anxious but excited freshmen daughters. It's all so nostalgic, you see. So reminiscent of when I was the nervous daughter checking in to my apartment complex and my dear dad was the hovering watchman in the corner of the room.

But this year, everywhere I go, I see MOMS. Moms with their teenage daughters. That sight, too, is nostalgic of my days of fledgling independence. But now, from my vantage point behind a stroller and a bobbling curly blond head, the sight is also futuristic. Like a cloudy image from a crystal ball. And it, also, puts a slight catch in my throat. Moms and teenage daughters. Teenage daughters who used to be two year old daughters. What in the world will that be like? What will she, my two-year-old-turned-teenager, be like?

I have a great many hopes...


I hope she will hang on to her intense curiosity about everything...
I hope she will continue to let her creativity run wild...

I hope she will always love to read and learn.

I hope she will truly understand that her greatest beauty lies beneath her clothing, beneath her curly hair, beneath her complexion (clear or otherwise).
I hope she will be nurturing and kind.

I hope she will strengthen and build others up.
I hope she stays silly.
I hope she stays sweet.
I hope she stays clean, head to toe, heart, hands, ...and feet (may as well go with the unintentional rhyme, right?)
I hope she eats her fruits and veggies
And, oh, I hope that she remembers her mom and her dad. And how much they love her. How much they love her.

14 comments:

heath said...

Oh, Lori. I hope Lucy gets to read this post someday. I just have to comment on two pictures, the one with the little green shirt--she looks so beautiful--and the one with Grumpy is one of my favs. Love you!

Heather said...

You have this way with words and making them all flow well together and also saying what we are all thinking. Thanks for the post as I sit here watching Madelyn put puzzles together thinking about the days when she will be going off to preschool or as she says it "school" (okay so not quite a teenage dauther but still)!

Heather said...

Hey, what about getting together on the 29th up here. We can play games (including the Wii for the men and us women) and BBQ something. Let me know what you think and then we can put it on our calendars. I hope that you have an enjoyable time in Las Vegas this weekend. I really do love that place and wouldn't mind living there.

Mark and Maria said...

Lori,

I know how you feel. I love your blog because it reminds me so much of the days when it was just me and Rachel hanging out at home while Mark was in school. I loved those days and knew there would be a day that I would miss them. And boy, do I ever miss them!! Thanks goodness for memories and pictures! Now I have this 10 1/2 year old that is entering the teenage years. Yikes! But the joy continues as I watch her grow and mature. I guess I've come to conclude that it doesn't matter the age or stage, but what a joy it is to be a mother!!

Unknown said...

Ryan hopes that she appreciates him waiting so long for her to show up :)...I'll never forget the look of excitement on his face when I told him you were dilated to a 1...and the look afterward when he found out what that meant :) hope you don't mind me sharing that memory here...it's just one of my favorites :)

Abby said...

cute post and cute pictures!!!

Lindsay said...

Very poignant, Lori. So sweet. As I sit here at my computer with Garrett on my lap, and I can't help but hope for the very same things!

Anonymous said...

I love this post Lori. So so true....

jeanine said...

Oh Lori, you just have a way with words. I hope for those same things for my boys... Beautiful!

Mrs. Cropper said...

Oh how I adore Lucy. Or "cy" as Blaine calls her.

Kate said...

Oh what a cute mom you are! and I know I keep saying it, but what a sweet little girl you have!

DeAnna Packer said...

Oh, our dear, dear "Sweeties". Memories do generate watery eyes...wonder why. LOVE maybe? Mom

heath said...

Oh, I'm so glad Lucy was playing Duck Duck Goose. That was a fun night!

Grandma lu said...

And now you know what you have always felt . . . just how much your mother and dad love you!

We do too!

Thanks for bringing back memories of our little ones and giving us such reassurace about our grandchildren!

What a golden child our little Lucy is . . . she reflects her momma and dad so well.