Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Parable of the Grateful Cat

by James E. Talmage ...

A scientist, out on a morning walk, encountered a pair of boys who, on their mistress's errand, were about to drown three unwanted kittens in a pond. The man saved the kittens and carried them home. He was followed by the mother cat, whose incessant purrrrrs indicated her immense gratitude for the man's kind interference.

The next evening, as the scientist was hosting "a notable company" of guests, the mother cat unexpectedly joined the company with a large, not quite dead mouse in her mouth. She deposited her "expiring pray at the feet of the man who had saved her kittens."

"What think you of the offering...? A live mouse, fleshy and fat! Within the cat's power of possible estimation and judgment it was a superlative gift. To her limited understanding no rational creature could feel otherwise than pleased over the present of a meaty mouse. Every sensible cat would be ravenously joyful with such an offering..."

But what is a dying mouse to a scientist at a dinner party? Utterly unprofitable.

King Benjamin, I believe, has already laid out the lesson of the cat
parable.

I say unto you, my brethren, that if you should render all the thanks and praise which your whole soul has power to possess, to that God who has created you, and has kept and preserved you, and has caused that ye should rejoice, and has granted that ye should live in peace one with another—

I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if
ye should serve him with all your
whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants. Mosiah 2: 20-21

I am left simply to marvel at the eternal paradox that we who are so unprofitable to God are yet so loved by him.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16


We who are so totally incapable of repaying God's glorious gifts and immense generosity are still, in his eternal eyes, so full of potential.

Behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. Moses 1:39

True, God continually invites, encourages, commands our gratitude, service, and contribution - but not because it selfishly benefits him. Rather, because it so generously benefits us.

Certainly, in Elder Talmage's words, "our need to serve God is incalculably greater than His need for our service."

Such a realization makes all charitable demands on my time, my money, and my energy so much less resent-able. Perhaps I can, after all, muster the gumption to prepare another Primary lesson for my class of six wiggling 8-9-year-olds, remembering afresh that my efforts are not so much noble and generous as they are personally needful.

12 comments:

DeAnna Packer said...

Ah, yes and right on the money! Thanks for the reminder of 'what it's all about' here on earth. Love you, dwp

heath said...

Love it! I was just reading there in the scriptures. It really is a remarkable plan.

SRas said...

Good, good thoughts. I am reminded of the story Elder Eyring tells of his dad weeding in the ward garden despite intense pain from bone cancer. The pain was enough that he was pulling himself along on his stomach. Right after he had finished someone told him that the weeds had recently been sprayed and would have died anyway. Elder Eyring said that when he found out he laughed and laughed, and when asked why he wasn't more upset he became serious and said, "Hal, I wasn't there for the weeds." I'll have to re read it so that I can tell it better. I've heard him recount it in more than one talk, but I know for sure that it can be found in his book "To Draw Nearer to God" Wise, wise lessons... Good for me to remember as we will be getting callings soon and they have already said that they are down to ones that they are making up! :)

Grandma lu said...

Last night I marked the King Benjamin verses for a lesson on tithing for our Gospel Essentials class. The kitten story is the perfect introduction. Prayer works, and like President Kimball says very often God uses others to answer them. Thanks for being the answer!

lori said...

oooo - the Elder Eyring story sounds fab! We have Draw Nearer to God, but I haven't read it! I'll have to look for it!

Lu - so glad the parable will help! Wes and I thought it was great.

jeanine said...

That was a great story... I'll have to store that away in my file! Thanks!

ps. and Draw Nearer to God--awesome, awesome, awesome book! Elise gave it to us for Christmas a few years back. LOVED it!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post--it has given me the strength to deal with a very touchy yw problem this week...I'm going to have to get that book...am I the only one who doesn't have it? :)

Heather said...

Lori, we want to get together on the 28th or 29th, let me know what you think. Figured we could hang out up here and play games and the Wii and BBQ.

lori said...

Heather - my weekend off rotation has switched so I can't go anywhere on the 28/29th. Double bummer.
But what about a weekend in Oct??

Heather said...

A weekend in October works for me, let me know when you have off and we can plan something. I know the first weekend in October is general conference so that won't work but ya know keep me posted.

Heather said...

I guess we could even try for tomorrow if you and Heather aren't busy, if you are I totally understand, just let me know

lori said...

Heather - you know how we were going to go to Vegas last week and didn't. Yeah. We're going today :)

So let's shoot for Oct. Wes can't wait to get his hands on that Wii :)