Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Parenting

Well, I promised a parenting discussion, so here it is! This is mostly a forum for me to get great ideas and insights from you! However, it seems rude to ask for something without giving anything in return.
I have little to offer from my own meager experience, but I did have great parents, and I do have a favorite child development author/lecturer. =)
The latter, A. Lynn Scoresby, has proffered a few ideas that Wes and I try to live our parenting lives by. We like Scoresby's philosophies because they fit with our faith and our ideals. They focus on parenting qualities we already valued (values of nurturing, leadership, teaching) packaged into a few easy to remember phrases. We also like these few principles because they're so generally applicable, not really situation specific. Pretty much all of the sass that Lucy currently throws at me can be handled by following these simple principles.
And so I give you a few of Dr. Scoresby's principles of "clear and consistent" parental leadership.
Disclaimer: these ideas are not really "new" - most of you probably already do them! My parents did them. But hey, we have to start our discussion somewhere, right?

Prepare more than you punish.
This means looking at my child's misbehavior as a sign that I need to teach something! The teaching happens most effectively by practicing appropriate behavior. I love this principle. It helps me remember that I should expect Lucy to be bright and capable of learning (she is), but I shouldn't expect her to know how to behave appropriately in every new situation (she doesn't!). So...we, like all of you, spend oodles of time talking about what is and isn't appropriate. And we keep practicing.

Here's a Scoresby example of this principle that I love (from memory, my apologies if any details are altered): His teenage daughter was out with the car one Friday night and came home late. Past curfew. She approached her waiting father and silently handed back the car keys.
My natural inclination: enact an appropriate consequence, perhaps withhold the keys for a given amount of time.
But Scorseby gave the keys back. He told his daughter to make fun plans for the following Saturday night because she obviously needed to practice making it home by the given hour. Maybe they then talked through strategies: what could you say to say to your friends? How could you more easily keep track of the time? How much time should you allow for the drive? Whatever. Prepare more than you punish.

Communicate more than you control
Key phrase here: "Let's talk this over." Like I said, these things feel natural. This one, in particular, is native to me from my own childhood. We just talked about things.
Scoresby's theory: you either spend time communicating, or you spend time controlling/disciplining. Communicating is less draining and more effective.
Obviously, there will always be situations that call for parental control, but the goal in such situations is still communication. Explain why you are disciplining/controlling.

Encourage more than you criticize
The proposal here is that we have better results when we focus on what we WANT our children to do - all the while encouraging, supporting, prodding, "you can do it!" - rather than constantly criticizing and correcting the behaviors we DON"T want. What kills me is when I hear parents throw out phrases like, "Sally isn't good at sharing," or "Bobby is mean to his brother." Perhaps those things are true, but shouldn't they sound more like, "Sally is learning how to share," or "Bobby is learning how to treat his brother kindly."

Involve and individualize
This is one I'm still learning about. The idea is to create a PLACE for each child in your family. A place at the table, a place for their stuff, a place for their play. Involvement means family activities, family stories (especially ones that highlight the role and place of a child). Individualize means try to avoid motivating behavior through competative phrases (who can brush teeth the fastest?) because it creates a feeling of sameness that makes children reach out (and often act out) for individual recognition.
Interesting!

Love more than you isolate
Sometimes "time out" space is necessary for cooling off, but the basic point is, bring them back! Discipline by keeping your child with you rather than sending him/her away. Another pretty intuitive principle, yes?

Love enough to limit
This has been helpful with Lucy. The idea is to help children limit their inappropriate behavior/emotions by helping them to recognize when they're in control or out of control. I like that. It's really easy to verbally indicate, "You're out of control right now!" or "Thanks for getting in control of yourself. Now are you ready to..." (resume whatever activity triggered "out of control.") Again, the emphasis is on practicing emotional/behavioral control.
And as I am so far from being the perfect parent, I've also found it helpful to acknowledge, out loud and often through gritted teeth, when I am out of control.

So, there it is. Almost as fun as a text book, eh?

Again, I acknowledge that these principles are fairly intuitive and widely practiced by most of the good parents I've ever observed.

What is hard is the real life, day to day application, no? And so I ask: what helps you? What did/does effective parenting mean in your vocabulary? How do you handle your child's attitude? What helps you to remain "in control" of your patience and your powers of reasoning? What principles of parenting did your parents employ? What goals do you have for your children? What methods to you use to achieve those goals?

No obligation to answer all or any of the above questions...any thoughts/ideas are welcome and appreciated!

30 comments:

Heather said...

Wow! That is about all I can say right now. I guess those are all things that we needed to be reminded about. We all know how to do them, but it is getting caught up in what the child is doing or how they are behaving that is the problem for me. I will be back to post later, must get ready to pick Madelyn up from preschool.

Kate said...

I loved this post...I have to admit that I didn't know where to start learning about how to parent, and I loved this insight you gave! (and I want to read that book) Granted all my little boy needs right now is is a little milk, a burp, a cuddle and a diaper change but soon he'll be old enough to talk back and I need to kind of know what I'm doing when that time comes!

So I have no parenting insight since I'm new to this, but I can't wait to see what others write. (I guess I could give some insight about what things I wouldn't do because of what I've observed from nannying...not bad things, just things I will now be more cautious about).

Marci said...

you guys are the BEST parents! your blog is so great! I love it!
(I remember bean and bacon soup too, lunch before afternoon kindergarten)

Grandma lu said...

This works with everyone doesn't it? Children, spouses, parents, students. It is so difficult, and so challenging and when I watch you and my other daughters in law and my Suzy I know you are doing it so much better than I did and that we can learn and improve. And the result is all my wonderful grandchildren. Wish I had studied and learned more when I was younger. I am practicing on my school children now!

DeAnna Packer said...

The wonders of life and love, and whirl-wind colors, like the leaves as they dance and swirl about us. Way to go you women of this great generation! I feel Like Lu........YOU are the wonders of today, and we, of another day, greatefully watch in AWE....with an approving, satisfying nod.

Oh the delicious flavor of life... Mom

Laurie said...

Ditto to both Lu and your Mom's comments. I'm tending Rachel's kids and I realize (again) how challenging parenthood is. However, you are never done with parenting, just at a different level. I do know that it is so important to do the things you talked about. Sometimes I wish I could do it over again...then I wake up :)..haha. You girls are all doing an incredible job. It is nice to talk about it and remind us of how it SHOULD be done...I'm going to try to use the tips the rest of the week.:) Love you guys and thanks again for the inspiration!!

Unknown said...

Hard to sum up 4 years of MFHD in one comment...but forever grateful to have studied it. As Ryan says, "It must be nice to have all the answers." But it's not. Because I don't. I have none of the answers. I have all of the questions. But I have loved every conversation that we have ever had about parenting. Can't wait to have you help us raise our own...you know what you're in charge of teaching ;)
Loved Scoresby. I'll never forget that class.
And I love watching the 2 of you parent Lucy. I have seen lots of the above principles put into practice in addition to some very special Lori originals. Not trying to be sappy here. I wouldn't say it if it weren't true!
Of course if Lucy isn't reading by 3 we may have to rethink some things :)
you know we love you.
and the rest of you reading this are great parents too! I applaud you!

Emily Anne said...

i double love dr. scoresby. he is so wise and i've tried to apply his parenting suggestions, too. (sometimes it's so hard to remember them in those really steamed up moments when Henry's just thrown handfuls of sugar all over the kitchen floor, though :)One thing I'd love to know is how you (any of you) are teaching your toddlers to share. I think the ultra-gimme's is a phase that children have to go through, but how do you mediate when your child is playing with another child and their is perpetual conflict over a certain toy? I'd love to know peoples' thoughts about that.
One thing that I've found works really well with Henry is turning every day drudgery (ie getting in the high chair/car seat) into an exciting process like boarding a space ship and getting all buckled in and ready for take off. it's more work on my part, but it's less of a fight and i feel like maybe it encourages some imagination on his part?? love this dialog, lori. thanks.

Emily Anne said...

p.s. pictures of lucy in the leaves are dar-dar-darling!

Lindsay said...

Great post, Lori! I love this list (and will probably refer to it often as I practice and hone up my parenting skills). I like these ideas because they are so simple and logical -- and natural. Parenting for me right now is different. My responsibility is simply to keep my baby fed, comfortable, and happy. But it won't be long before Dr. Scoresby's ideas come in handy, I'm sure!

I find that I get really overwhelmed by all the parenting literature out there. I read the stuff (books, online articles, pamphlets, etc), but I come away from them often feeling very frustrated (am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing? Am I parenting the "right" way?). I think I need to stop reading so much because I've now learned that the only "literature" I really need to pay close attention to is my mom, the doctor, and myself (with a sprinkling of good friends who view parenting similarly to how I do). Often I find that I do naturally as a mother exactly the same things that the overwhelming literature tells me I should be doing. So I guess what I'm saying is that to be a good parent you don't necessarily have to bog herself down with what all the "experts" are saying (especially when they all seem to contradict each other), but rather trust her natural mothering instincts -- because, yes, we have them and should not shy away from using them.

lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phoebe said...

what a topic! Definately one that causes you to stop and ponder on what you have done and wonder what is right or wrong! Parenting those little kids is so rewarding, exhausting, challenging, mind boggling, and probably the happiest days! Now that I'm in the midst of young adult/teenage parenting, I would probably define them much the same! What a great challenge we all signed up for! Thanks for giving us inspiration and cause to stop and re-evaluate!

Carrie said...

I love Dr. Scoresby, loved this post and your thoughts and how could anyone have anything better to add? I remember hearing this list in a class of his... it kinda makes me miss college!

lori said...

Thanks for your comments, guys!

Lindsay, I love your thoughts about caring for a baby. So true! It's all about doing what feels right! The best advise I ever heard about raising a child 1-3 years old: give "high quality care." How wonderfully vague! It has consistantly encouraged me in my efforts with Lucy because I know that if I am treating her with lots of love, lots of attention, and lots of affection: I'm doing the right thing!

And Em - oh, the sharing struggle!!! No matter how many times I think, "ok, Lucy should have this down. She's got it" - a situation arises and I realize, no. She doesn't have it. Sharing is about the hardest thing in the world. =)
I wish I had a great strategy to share - anyone? anyone?!!!

Lucy inevitably does better when I'm right there "playing" by her side - talking her through every step of the sharing process. The frustration is that adult conversation is, then, inevitably sacrificed on the "teach my child to share" alter. Sigh. I suppose it's a worthy cause.

I also find it helpful to give oddles of praise after a succussfull sharing experience (obviously). Lucy and I have a special high five that we do when she is a great (un-prodded, of-her-own-accord) sharer.

Finally, I feel like it has helped Lucy to make a little progress when I've identified the feelings that surround sharing. (she is ULTRA aware of feelings right now) "Look how happy Benjamin is when he's playing with that toy! Doesn't it make you feel good to help him be so happy?" and the reverse, "Why do you think Ben is so sad when you take that toy away? Wouldn't it make you feel sad if someone took a toy right away from you?" Again - obvious. But must it be so REPETATIVE? I suppose. Every new toy/new situation is hard! I'd love some other tips on this topic too!!

oh , and I love the thought of turning simple tasks into adventures!

jeanine said...

Oh what a great post and wonderful reminder. I loved Dr. Scoresby! I don't know what to add.
William has his moments of sharing and selfishness. He seems to think that he doesn't have to share with babies. They are too little for his toys.... this is the hardest because the babies don't understand WHY their toy is being taken away. However, with kids closer to his age I've found that if there is constant conflict over a particular toy I give them a warning like "if you can't share I will take that toy away." I'll usually help them take one turn each... then if they STILL can't share--the toy is mine. They might fuss a little but usually forget about it and there is no more fighting. I'm sure there is a better way to handle the situation or to teach... but that's all I've got for now.

jeanine said...

ps. LOVE the pictures of Lucy!

Julie said...

Where were you when I was trying to parent??? Oh yeah...you were one of the kids...I really messed up, but I guess Whit survived anyway and is a great young lady. I love you guys. Happy Thanksgiving.

nateandrebecca said...

Sounds like a lot of great ideas that we will have to keep in mind when we become parents!
-Rebecca

Rebecca's parents did most of those things. Mine didn't. She'll just have to teach me how to parent I guess. But I think a lot of the same principles could be applied to spouses as well, not just children. Like using positive rather then negative comments.
-Nate

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie said...

My five year old is still learning, but focusing on the successes helps to see progress. My comments have more of a sibling perspective.
Here are some of our guiding principles:
With friends:"The guest gets the best." Explaining you can play with this all the time, but your friend can only play with this cool thing for a little while. My kids value a chance to play with friends over the toys so they are willing to learn about sacrificing.
"Friends are more important than things." Remember the relationship
Between siblings: "we share all the toys". Exception being birthdays, and Christmas days when the toys are new. No "mine"s
I look at the emotional state. High emotion requires removal from the situation and discussion at their level.
The whole time of course using great praise, consistent application of whatever process or rule or special hand slap (cute idea Lori), patience, love.

Challenges to remember:
understanding their sense of fairness
It is such an OPPORTUNITY for teaching about compassion and sacrifice and being happy for someone else.

Our Process in action:
The best way for us to solve toy disputes is to set time limits and switch when the buzzer goes off. This teaches fairness, We get them to agree to the rotation, remind them before the next exchange, and then process with them throughout how they need it, snuggling until their turn, distracting, ask how they felt, feel and how they think the other feels, what they should do next time. The time length varies as does the needs for processing as they get familiar with what to expect, and TRUST they will get their fair turn. Usually after 2-3 rotations, the problem is either forgotten and they are involved with other things or they start rotating on their own.

Other ideas would be great, you have to keep recreating as the play issue become: Maren wants me to be Aurora but I want to be Ariel. Humph!
So and so wouldn't play with me at school today. (breaks a mom's heart)
All the kids don't like me and Ben. they pull out pretend guns and shoot at us only when the teachers aren't looking so they don't know. ALL the kids do that! Understanding what they are thinking can be a challenge.
Recreating is constant. That is why mom's must be close at hand, until school days that is. More revision and processing strategies required.
Melanie (with better proofreading this time)

Brooke said...

We had some friends over the other day and when the kids started a sharing conflict, one of the other moms did one of the most simple and most effective things I've ever seen. It was one of
those moments where I felt stupid for not having thought about it before... She just said, "Oh, it looks like we both want a turn with that toy, let's count to ten while Charlie has his turn and then we'll switch!" So the three of them counted to ten and then Charlie happily passed it to the friend while he counted to ten and they switched again.
The next week we had the same boys over for a play date (they are all between 2.5 and 3) and I saw them doing it with each other without any adult intervention or prompting. It went a little more like "1,2,3,8,9- MY TURN!" but it really worked!
I thought it was funny reading how Lori said that Lucy is ultra sensitive to feelings right now because my Linc is exactly the same age and they have always been almost right on the button in step with developmental stuff, but I think the gender factor is starting to come out in that Linc really is not tuned into emotions much at all no matter how much I try to point them out... this counting thing seems to work well with the boys because it's so cut and dry.

lori said...

LOVE this discussion, friends!!! Thanks for everyone's input! (Melanie, it was fun to see your comment on here! Thanks!)

So great to realize we're all working on similar things with our little ones. So nice to have new ideas to try!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!

Heather said...

You must be having a wonderful time with the holidays. Guessing you went to Vegas this year since we haven't heard from you. Let me know when you can get together.

Rachel and Jared said...

Lori,
I love the blog and all the comments. I enjoyed learning about parenthood. Jared taught me an interesting way to deal with sharing. We were watching my nieces (4 and 5 yrs old). They were fighting over a water bottle and Jared told them that if they couldn't share then he would take the bottle away. They continued to fight so we kept the bottle. We gave it back to them after a few minutes and said that they could keep it if they could learn to share. They started fighting a again and then Hope (4 yrs) old said "If we don't share they will take it away" they proceeded to talk about how they wanted to share and we didn't hear them fight over the water bottle again.
It is important to teach children how to share and why it is important but then let them practice it. I think parent over regulate at times instead of giving the child the opportunity to practice what they have learned.

Just a little food for thought...hope it helps--Rachel

Marci said...

The Power of Positive Parenting by Latham. It is really good!

DeAnna Packer said...

YOU WONDERFUL GIRLS!!!
HERE IS A TESTIMONIAL...AFTER 5 DAYS IN THE CAR TRAVELING WITH WES AND LORI AND LUCY TO OHIO.... The things spoken of here were practiced, proven true, and well.... IT IS A JOY TO SEE THE FRUITS OF GOOD PARENTING.... AMEN AND AMEN
Mom Packer

Stephanie said...

Just wanted to add my two cents. I ran across your blog on accident. I'm Stephanie Scoresby, the guilty-of-coming-in-late-teen-age daughter mentioned in the post. I love Dr. Scoresby too. :) Anyway, he has his own blog, leadingfamilies.com for anyone who is interested in having access to the great mind that is his. He posts some great articles but has put a lot of the information he has accumulated over his lifetime of expertise there as well. It's worth checking out. Anyway, good luck with all of the parenting and thanks for saying such nice things about my dad.

lori said...

Stephanie,

Thanks so much for your comment! I'm thrilled to learn that Dr. Scoresby has a blog!! Thanks for the heads up!

Hope I didn't muddle your past-curfew story too much =)

Stephanie said...

Lori,

Glad I could help. You were pretty close on the story. One thing you need to understand about Dr. Scoresby is that sometimes the details get muddled. He'll tell a story about me or someone else in our family and I don't even recognize it. So you have to stay sharp where he's concerned. :)

But I believe in his principles, that's for sure. He has a great parenting book that I love called "The Real Power of Parenthood." It's about how parents walk out in front of their children and decide what it is they want them to become and then organize themselves to create an active teaching program to produce it...rather than wait for misbehavior to happen and respond to it. So wise.

lori said...

Oh, sounds like a great book! Thanks so much for the recommendation!