"I need a drink of milk," Lucy said the moment we walked in the door.
"I need a drink of water," I said.
And then, then, we propped our tired, happy feet on top of the dear, defaced ottoman that graces our living room floor, and we sunk into this nostalgic story:
Do you remember this book? It's images bring years of forgotten feelings to the surface for me.
Probably my favorite Easter Bunny book.
Do you have any fun Easter Bunny favorites?
What I'm really wondering though, friends, is: where are all of the fabulous picture books about the Savior's role in the Easter Story? I know they've got to be out there!!
Deanna mentioned this book (full of great ideas for a Christ-centered Easter). It looks like a wonderful resource for activities!
And I've come across other Easter storybooks that seem promising, but many are too old (too wordy/too long) for Lucy, and several of them, while beautifully illustrated or written, seem to emphasize the Savior's death rather than His resurrection.
On Lucy's first Easter, we loved looking through Greg Olsen's Beautiful Savior.
(But somewhere between two years ago and now, we've lost our copy! Sniff, sniff.)Now, I'm not fearing that Lucy will fail to learn the miracles of the Easter story just because I can't find a favorite picture book. We have the scriptures, for goodness sake! And plenty of beautiful gospel art pictures. And plenty of personal testimony. But picture books are such a nice....enhancement of the story. Such a fun way to celebrate. And so I ask:
Are there some fabulous titles that I am missing?
If you have a few favorites, please share!!


12 comments:
Oh Lori... I've been wondering this same thing! I can't seem to find one that's just right. I did pull out several pictures from the gospel art kit this week but it would be nice to have a book. The one that you lost seems great. I'll have to get my hands on that.
ps. I LOVE The Country bunny... need to get a copy of that one too...
I love that you and Em both posted about books today. I love it! I'm always looking for good books to add to Charlie's growing collection.
I just found this one, but I haven't actually looked at it. It's a board book, so it shouldn't be above her level.
Titled:
My First Story of the First Easter (Board book)
by Deanna Draper Buck
Isn't interesting that there are a BAJILLION books about the BIRTH of the Savior and not so many about the miracle of His death and Resurrection. Hhmm, I know a very talented writer with the words in her heart to fill that little void in our libraries, Lori Jean Packer Truman!
But seriously, I use books to teach my kids everything from the meaning of Christmas to how to go potty to kindness to the stories in the Book of Mormon. I need someone else's words to help teach pretty much anything important, so can't wait to check out a few of these titles.
I second that motion! Lori... YOU should write a little Easter book!
I have to say I lay awake for a couple of hours thinking about this little "void" in our libraries...and my only solution was to write one - but I'm not a writer!!! So then I thought how wonderful it would be if LORI wrote one! How funny that others have suggested this too. Go for it Lori! I'm sure that deseret book would publish it...because there IS such a need for them!!!
I agree with everyone else...write a book Lori!!!
I wish I had a clue about Easter kid's books. I will be turning to you to educate me on all genre of children's lit...as a reader and an author!
Yeah! Write a book! You are a fabulous writer, you would be amazing! I'm getting so excited at the thought of you publishing a book! Yay, yay, yay!
No pressure Lori... sorry for swelling the 'Lori as an authoress' movement...
We just all think you're great!
whoa there, friends! I love you all for thinking I'm up to such a task. I say: I'll think about it, but only if YOU will all think about it too! You are all fabulously creative and maybe if we all stew about it, one of us will come up with something brilliant!
Until then, I wish someone famous would do the hard work and publish something fabulous! =)
A few to add:
Rechenka's Gift
The Bird's Gift
The Egg Tree
Post a Comment