Thursday, October 23, 2008

For Spencer


Dear little man-cub, I am really starting to like you. I've loved you since you were born. Deeply. Reverently. I've treasured your tininess. I've felt protective of and responsible for you.


But now that my body doesn't feel quite so battered, and our life together feels a tad more settled - like, we occasionally (well, twice....and I'm keeping my fingers crossed) get four-five hours of sleep at a time, I'm really starting to feel squishy and giddy inside about you.

And...
???????
I hardly know what else I should write.

You're just a baby. You do baby things. You eat and sleep and cry. You necessitate that we keep a bottle of Oxi-Clean spray on the bathroom counter at all times. You're predictably happy when you're eating, irritable when you're tired. You smell good after a bath. (Although, I must admit, my dirty little piglet, that baths are not a nightly ritual for you like they were for your big sis. Opportunity cost, you understand.) You like to be held and bounced, rocked and wrapped.

I guess, to everyone else, you must seem pretty normal.

But no one else sees how handsome your deep eyes look as they penetrate the 2am darkness of our living room.

No one else sees the way you cock one curious eyebrow up whenever our eyes connect during a feeding.

No one else has so often sacrificed feeling in their wrist to singlehandedly keep your snugly wrapped little glow-worm body in a comfortable position while the other hand makes lunch, rinses dishes, puts together puzzles, and types blog posts.

Lucy, two minutes ago, approaching me with her baby, "Mom, will you wrap her up?
Mom, "I'm holding your brother, honey. Can you please do it?"
Lucy, "Mom, I have an idea! Maybe you can hold Spencer with one hand and help me wrap my baby with the other hand."
Good idea, Lu. Good idea.


No one else has been so often mesmerized by the fixed, zoned expression you wear just before falling asleep.

No one else hears your soft, throaty coos first thing in the morning (oh, those quiet sounds! Why do I love them so?! Maybe because their softness is such a contrast to the shrill screams and demanding cries you are capable of and so often communicate with. Or maybe because they come with such seeming effort and concentration on your part. Whatever the reason, they are music to my ears.)

And certainly no one else spends so many minutes of every day making silly faces and noises, hoping for a glimpse of your sweet smile (well, maybe Lucy comes close). And while you still make us work for it, that smile is sneaking out more and more every day.

Keep it coming, sweet little man-cub, keep it coming!

14 comments:

DeAnna Packer said...

You captured his smile!!!

How appropriate capturing your lttle 'mancub' smiling (wrapped in BYU Blue) right after the Y's hard-fought win over UNLV....a squeeker!
A TRUE BRIGHT-EYED COUGAR CUB :)

Heather said...

I love it and he is adorable. Can't wait to one day meet him in person, perhaps soon and before the holidays come and pass.

Abby said...

he is so so cute

Vicky said...

He is SUCH a handsome little man! What a winning smile!

Grandma lu said...

There is nothing that compares to the tiny baby / mother time that is so tiring, so fleeting, and never never forgotten. How wonderful it is to be absolutely needed and necessary! He looks so much like his daddy and so like you too! And I just love Lucy's ideas, so logical and so clever.

Julie said...

Oh what a welcome post. How I miss holding that new little baby. Thanks for the descriptive post and lovely photos. You do good work Trumans! Just returned home from a weekend trip to Mountain Tai. Very breathtaking and inspiring, but not so much as the new life you've created. Love you all.

Unknown said...

Oh how I can relate! Praying for more of those 4-5 hour nights for you! I am enjoying just a few of those myself :)

Love to you.

Mark and Maria said...

We loved reading about your little "mancub." What a cute nickname!

nateandrebecca said...

Nice pictures. I like his little smile, and I am glad that you are getting more sleep. :)

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Moms are so talented - I see you have already mastered the one-handed task management!

. said...

oh oh oh!!!! What a cute baby! Spencer has the most beautiful eyes, and I love that he smiles now! We called Ezra "Man Child" (similar to your man cub) when he was teeny, after Mowgli in the Jungle Book. They sure grow up fast.

Danielle said...

Are those little motherhood "secrets" the very best? So special and fleeting.

Brooke said...

What a doll! Hooray for babies!

jeanine said...

He's got the most gorgeous eyes! And although those first months sure are exhausting... they are wonderful. You describe it most beautifully!