"Where?"
I had her interest.
"Well, we - all of us, Mom, Dad, Lucy, and Spencer - get to go to the temple!" Immediate smiles and squeals of delight were followed by a sudden confused seriousness, "But I don't want to get a very big baby in my tummy!" she said.
After choking on our laughter, Wes and I clarified that we were not taking her to the temple to get married or to start a family (which things usually provide the context of our temple discussions), but that we were taking her to see the inside of a new temple that was just built.
Draper, Utah Temple
Satisfied that she would not end up looking like I did last August, she continued washing and we continued talking in excited voices. At some point in our conversation I said, "...because the temple is Heavenly Father's house."
Lucy looked at me with wide eyes. "Are we going to Heaven?"
I looked at her with tender eyes. "Well, we're going as close to Heaven as we can get."
And it felt a little like Heaven at the temple yesterday.
People we love greeted us and took our hands.
And it looked a little like Heaven, too. From the baseboards and banisters (made from gorgeous African red wood) to the chandeliers (which Lucy could not get enough of) and stained glass, the temple was exquisite.
Mostly, though, the temple was replete with simple, beautiful reminders that our only hope for Heaven is Jesus Christ.
Mostly, though, the temple was replete with simple, beautiful reminders that our only hope for Heaven is Jesus Christ.
There shall be no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent. Mosiah 3:17
I love temples because they stand today, as anciently, in witness of the Savior's atoning sacrifice - that most central piece of God's plan for his children.
I love temples because they symbolize things sacred, and I wholeheartedly agree with Danny that much of today's society fails to grasp the meaning or importance of that word.
I want my children to know about sacred things.
After a bus ride (which Lucy loved: "We're going on the temple ride! Take us to the temple, bus!") and a cookie (which Spencer wanted but didn't get to hold), we came home from the temple open house. But that wasn't the end of our heavenly day.
After the little ones were in bed, Wes and I went back to the temple. The one up the street. The one whose sacred doors are not open to the public. A "matter of SANCTITY," President Hinckley explained, "not a matter of secrecy."
I was grateful to spend the evening in a place set apart from worldly concerns. A place dedicated to divine pursuits and to things eternally important.
Was there ever a man who truly loved a woman, or a woman who truly loved a man, who did not pray that their relationship might continue beyond the grave? ...The human heart longs for it, and the God of heaven has revealed a way whereby it may be secured. The sacred ordinances of the house of the Lord provide for it. -Gordon B. Hinckley



13 comments:
Thank you for that beautiful post. :o)
What a special day! I really look forward to the time when we can take our kids through a temple, too, and especially the days when they make those covenants. (Although that will mean they're all grow up! I can definitely wait a while for that.) Thanks for sharing!
Beautiful, beautiful post!
(and I love the concern that Lucy had... aren't kids minds great?!)
Wonderful. I heard about the happy trip from Grandma Packer. Those are adorable little babies you have sis. So glad we know about the eternal scope of things. Love you.
Thanks for those beautiful words. You are truly a mother to learn from and an example to watch. I love your little family!
Great post Lori. The world needs to read more posts like this. The temple truly is a piece of heaven on earth.
Um Lori...we totally went on Friday too!! How did we not see each other among the thousands there?? We, according to the clocks in the temple, were there at 3...1:20 ticket time, but you know how that went. Were we totally there together?????
cracking up at lucy's fear, and loving every bit of the day's excursions
After walking through the Temple, seeing the beautiful chandliers and things, we went to the cultural hall of the chapel--Beautiful floral pieces and a cookie.
Wes asked: Which room in the temple was your favorite Lucy??
Lucy, taking a bite of a cookie smiled up at her dad and said..."This one".
Heavenly Humor
Great post! I think it's great that this temple is within eye shot of another. Won't it be great when there will be lots of temples, and you can see more than just one (or two) at a time? Ok, I don't know how many we'll be able to see at a time, but two is a good start.
Love it. You and the church's publicity department know how to say things just the way I wish I could. What lovely and perfect perspective you have, Lori!
Love your thoughts! So, so appropriate and well put. And I absolutely love that Lucy was worried about having a little baby! Such a sincere little girl.
Heaven on earth! Thanks for letting us "visit" there with you.
Post a Comment