Wednesday, April 8, 2009

"What Did You Do Today?"

You know that question? You know how sometimes, when your spouse asks you that question over dinner, you kind of stumble on the response? Not because the question is asked with any kind of expectation, but because you're not quite sure what to say? You don't know whether to confine your description of the day to the few productive sounding things you did, "Made beds. Did dishes. Ran an errand. Sorted through piles of junk on the desk," or whether to focus your response on the day's most time consuming activity, "Prodded our three year old to to get dressed," or whether to dwell on the most repeated activities, "Kissed and bounced the baby, made silly faces, twirled in the living room, played with and put away toys ... three million times." And do you sometimes feel the need to qualify your answer? "I know it doesn't look like I did anything..."

At the end of some days, when the laundry remains piled high, and the floor remains un-vacuumed, and tomorrow's to-do list welcomes aboard almost all of today's unaccomplished items, I have to remind myself:
There's something about...
and
that makes it all ok.
Motherhood is such a trip, isn't it? Different that you ever thought it would be. Harder and better. It's funny the way SILLINESS and SNUGGLING take priority in your life. Not because you're lazy. Not even because it's often fun. No - because silliness and snuggling make all the difference. I'm convinced. And sometimes it's hard to be silly. (It is my goal of goals to play more. To be silly often. To revel in the unstructured). And sometimes it's inconvenient to snuggle. (Like when you're late. Or when you're mad. Or when you're right. Or when you're child is being a pill.) But I'm fairly certain that being silly and giving snuggles are the most productive un-productive things I do.
Apart from reattaching rubber antennas. 'Cause that's really important too.
P.S. When was the last time you procrastinated your work and played chess with your spouse? What a riot! We couldn't even finish the game! Too much thinking required!
Tomorrow. I'll beat you tomorrow, Wes!

15 comments:

Julie said...

You are so right...ENJOY, ENJOY...it is so important. I can tell you what I did today--absolutely nothing and I'm beating myself up. I'm going to calm down now and go prepare a lesson for my Freshman and enjoy them.

Stefani M. said...

Life should be more fun and silliness... it's more important than a vacuumed living room or tackling a sink full of dishes (unless you have NO MORE dishes to eat of off... that's a problem).
I love playing board games! (But kids make it nearly impossible because they're little time suckers!) I'm excited that Haley is getting older. We can actually play more than Hi-Ho Cherry-O and Candyland. A few weeks ago (celebrating the fact that Quentin is almost done reading the Hobbit to Haley at night), we played the Hobbit board game that we have.

heath said...

You're so cute Lori. I like this post. Life definitely needs more silliness and snuggles, even when you're not a mom.

ROAST said...

Fun and I love Lucy's Canada shirt.

DeAnna Packer said...

Sooooo well said. What ever do we do??? As life slips away from us, It is nice to remember and rejoice in such tender moments--for they are gone too soon. Love you, your words, your picts, and your 'live ins'.

Unknown said...

I am dying to get our boys together! And have some silliness of our own. Love you :)

Heather said...

I love this post. I am finding myself putting off the to-do list and snuggling more and more, helps to have a new little one around. Who cares if tomorrow's list is that much longer, eventually it will all get done and if it doesn't, well life will go on!

Loni said...

I LOVE this Lori! Your kids are adorable! And you are too cute! What a fun mommy.

But I totally understand the question. For a long time I didn't know how to answer Shane when he asked without feeling like a total disaster because it didn't seem like I did anything at all that day. But then I learned that if I made the kids good food, read to them and just kept my patience was enough of an accomplishment to feel proud of myself. :) So Amen sister-friend!

jeanine said...

I just loved this post... and I needed the reminder to be more silly and "unproductive". Maybe it's me "nesting" but I feel I have a neverending list that I HAVE to get done in the next month. I could definetly use some more unstructured play time.

Deanna said...

Oh my goodness! I LOVE that cute curl of Lucy's. One of my friends said, and I wholeheartedly agree, "playing with your kids IS getting stuff done".

Vicky said...

You have such a great way of articulating these things! I think you're absolutely right. So maybe I should snuggle and read to Benjamin right now instead of being frustrated that he's under the computer desk instead of taking a nap?

And I LOVE Spencer's little BYU outfit. And I also loved Lucy's frowny picture. What a cute family!

Maile said...

I so completely relate to this post and appreciate your wonderful perspective. I'll admit there have been perhaps a couple of times in the last few years when Peter has asked, "So what have you guys done today?" that my gut reaction has been to get defensive because I know it doesn't look like I've done anything many days. Fortunately I have a patient husband and the passing years are teaching me at least some of what you articulated - having fun with my kids and fully enjoying them is what we'll all remember in the long run.

Rachel B. said...

Lori, thanks so much for your comment a week or so ago. Can I just tell you how much I love your blog?! You write so beautifully and are just simply an inspirational person. Truly. You always have such great and important life reminders just like this one. It’s so very true that it’s the people and not the tasks in life that are most important. My husband is so good to always remind me that as long as the kids are fed and happy and have felt love from mommy then that is a good day. Thanks again for your words. You and Wes have such a beautiful family that you can tell is full of lots of love.

suzy said...

So true! And so well said! Sometimes it's such a challenge for me to reconcile not accomplishing the mundane tasks that truly need to be done with the more important tasks of stopping and spending time with your kids. However babies tend to make it easier...how can you NOT want to bounce bubbly happy babies especially when the other Littles join in!

nateandrebecca said...

Even though I am not a mother, I can still relate to a certain extent. There are days that I get little or no painting done that Nate has to remind me the other things I was doing were good and important too...

And that last picture of Lucy made us laugh!