Wednesday, April 1, 2009

While the Sun is Hiding

Since the falling snow has put a significantly wet damper on today's stroller-riding, park-playing possibilities (happy April Fools to you too!), we're inside.
And I've been thinking.

I've been thinking about Nie's first day of April silhouettes. I've been thinking about traditions. Not holiday traditions, although those are important and I'm definitely a fan. I've been thinking about family traditions. Unique, binding, self-originating, self-perpetuating traditions that celebrate a family's identity.

Do you have traditions like that? Things that focus on togetherness? Things that your family, alone, is known to do? Or maybe secret things that no one but your family knows about?

When I was little our family traditions included things like "Friendly Phantom" deliveries to neighbors (just your typical "ring and run" but with a Packer family twist) and "The Early Morning Ski Team" (it was like a rite of passage when I was big enough to hop in the boat with my dad and older siblings at the literal crack of a Lake Powell dawn and set out in pursuit of glassy waters and a perfect ski. "Buoys for Breakfast." Wasn't that the saying, Julie?).

Perhaps some such family traditions evolve spontaneously. And maybe that's what makes them special. But part of me wonders if it's not important to be deliberate in the selection and execution of a few meaningful traditions. Wes and I have lots of discussions about this, as our little family is in the spring of its existence.

What makes your family unique? And how do you celebrate that uniqueness? 'Cause isn't that part of the fun of being a family? Celebrating each other?

I think yes.
Happy April, friends!

8 comments:

Vicky said...

I'm going to try to spend the rest of today thinking about traditions because our family definitely needs more purposeful, togetherness traditions. I love how you said your family is in the spring of its existence. So poetic.

And I think I just want to kiss Spencer all over. What a handsome little man!

DeAnna Packer said...

First...That Picture!! Oh my!!!
I have been thinking too, and I have three yearly dandies in mind!

B said...

Thank you for this wonderful post, Lori. I'm inspired. And thinking about my little family's traditions as well...I loved your comment about "celebrating each other." Yes, that's definitely what family is about! Thanks so much.

Oh, and your new quote on the side regarding Lucy and Spencer-the-dragon is awesome! :D

jeanine said...

First I have to say that I love Lucy's dragon quote... perfect.
And second I love this post. It has me thinking... I'll be back to post more thoughts.

Mrs. Cropper said...

i think it's a combination of traditions and habits that just happen and those that are deliberately planned. This time of year nothing beats dad getting home from work, having dinner, going for an evening bike ride or walk, playing games (hide and seek, duck-duck-goose), reading books, and tucking in babes. and even though that seems simple and routine, i think things like that will make a lot of great memories.

Sarraphim said...

I loved this entry! And, the comment about Spencer being a dragon is priceless! Reminds me of a game my dad played with me when I was little... :D

Unknown said...

I am all about purposeful traditions! Like mattress sledding with the Trumans every January! And checking their blog every day to see if there's any more cute pictures of our friends!

Julie said...

Oh how I wish we were taking in the Lake Powell water right now...we just returned from the Yangtze River cruise and it was a little like Lake Powell....I miss you sis. Your posts make my day.