Never mind the uneven gathers or the fact that it's big enough to fit her for two more summers.It is "such a twirler!"
I sewed the dress in May, over Mother's Day weekend. I remember cutting and pinning in my mom's kitchen while she talked to a struggling friend on the phone. I remember marveling at the way she could cry tears of sincere empathy with her friend and simultaneously whisper to me: "Honey, I think you're pinning that backwards."Mothers are magnificent.


22 comments:
I love your mom and I love the orange dress. You should teach me how to make a dress...perhaps that can be our next get together, not sure if the hubbies will like it but I know I would!
Yes they are. And you and your mom are among the most magnificent. What a darling dress, and way to make it big enough to last for 2 more years.
That dress is darling, and the story is classic. Love your mom.
good job on the dress lori - i love it! lucy's hair is amazing! gosh i wish i had some of that curl!
I am honored to be YOURs, that's for sure... (And, I loved the title 'Mom Packer' also.)
Wow...it has been a while since I have been able to look at your blog since we have been out of town this last week. Glad you guys had a fun Independence Day. Good job on the dress...that is much more than I think I would ever be willing to attempt. And I would definitely agree that your mom is amazing!
Too cute... the dress and the twirling.
Loving Lucy, twirling, and a whole new appreciation for the color orange.
I am SO impressed! That dress is so cute. You've inspired me for Alana's 3rd birthday. :) Hope you guys are doing well.
Your mom...what a dear heart.
And the dress is wonderful!
And so are the twirling pictures.
xo
That is wonderful!! Orange has become one of my favorite colors. We painted our kitchen orange and it always speaks happiness to me.
Love your mom. Love you. Love this story. LOVE that Lucy loves orange... it's a favorite at our house too. And I just had a dream last night with you and Lucy in it. Lucy was wearing a beautiful orange dress :)
The dress is beautiful and so is the girl!
hey, i'm just impressed you sewed it...it's adorable! and lily won't even wear a dress unless it's 'twirly', so she'd be very jealous.
When you look as fabulous in orange as Lucy does, you never can have to much orange in your closet. Love the dress, it's adorable. You are so talented!!
Don't you know....orange is the new pink! I bought Lucy the cutest orange beach hat and purse in China--now I just have to find it amongst the boxes that are somewhere between China and Utah (I hope)--haha. I purchased a darling pink and blue one, but at another store they had orange and of course it spoke.... "LUCY NEEDS ME."
ps. I love that you made that dress... it's extra darling... just like the girl wearing it.
you realize you're a mom right? a magnificent one! cause you learned from the (2nd) best!
What a great paragraph. When historians one day pen your mother's biography, this is the kind of line that belongs on the inside cover.
I saw that dress in Lucy's closet and I wish I'd know it was your creation! It is wonderful! So much fun to spend time with you all, and your little mother is just like mine! What a treasure!
As I re-read your post I couldn't help but think of The Work and the Glory series, (granted I am in the middle of reading them right now). Your mom, although I have only met her a couple of times reminds me of Mary Ann Steed and of every other pioneer women out there...such strong faith and love your mom exhibits and was passed along to her daughter.
Love your blog - I have MUCH orange in my closet! You are an inspiritaion to me each time I read your entries. I feel as if I am getting to know you through your writing. Love you all -
Aunt Sue
Post a Comment