There is much to report about last weekend's little Las Vegas get away, but right now I'm in a Spencer-was-awake-for-two-hours-in-the-middle-of-the-night daze, marveling at the way that boy can still wake up at the crack of dawn, bright eyed and bushy tailed. And hungry.
And I'm laughing at the way Lucy approached me while I was spooning Spencer's oatmeal to say, casually, "I think we should have a cat."
"That would be fun," I agreed.
"Yes," Lucy continued, "'Cause the cat could lick up my spills."
I turned around to view the remains of Lucy's breakfast on the table. And for the first time in my life, I wanted a cat, too.
Oh, I love these children!
I love their cheeks and their hands. I love the way Spencer brings me books and tries to bite my toes. I love the way Lucy currently refuses to enter the kitchen because of the spider "with sharp legs" she saw there. I love the way her sing-song voice makes laughter come bubbling up from Spencer's tummy. And mine. I love the way she just approached me with her Hidden Pictures puzzle, explaining, "I couldn't find the boot. So I drew one." (Her hand-drawn boot, complete with eyes and antennae, was in the middle of the page, circled. The word "boot" in the instructions? Crossed out and checked off.)
I love the sound of primary songs floating above the mess of toys covering our floor.
Heavenly Father, are you really there? And do you hear and answer every child's prayer?
Motherhood is a good business.
(But if anyone would like to contribute their cat for our milk spills, we're currently accepting donations).
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Oh I just love your positive attitude!
Thanks for sharing the little glimpse into your world. I know there's a lot of hard that goes along with the adorable, but it sure is fun to read your words.
I need to be around Lucy more because you don't need a cat you need a DOG. Cats aren't real pets and dogs clean up much more than spilled mild. Sheesh I see I have some serious work to do here. Her comments completely crack me up so thank you for being such a diligent blogger. It makes a very good start to my day.
So sweet, Lori.
P.s. I wish Haley would be afraid of going in the kitchen. I can't keep her out! She's always helping herself to food, standing on toys to get what she wants, and BEGGING to help with EVERYTHING I do in the kitchen. sigh :)
Way to see the bright side. The story of Lucy drawing the boot cracks me up!
Thanks for the reminder to look on the bright side! I'm definitely dealing with a fair amount of sleep deprivation right now and trying not to turn into an ornery bear.
I LOVE Lucy drawing the boot in! Yesterday we took Leila for her first doctor's checkup. My mom commented on how cold it was in the office. Kaia suggested, "I think they keep it cold so the kids will get more sick and have to come to the doctor more." Probably. :)
We have a cat that occasionally shows up in our tiny backyard! I occasionally wish it was ours so I could trust it enough to go out and pet it, but I'm still holding out for a dog.
The BOOT BIT.....Classic! Mom
Post a Comment